[REMOVE ADS]

Patti LaBelle: NPR's Tiny Desk Concert series

Looking and sounding great. Although I really do feel bad for Patti having to do Lady Marmalade for the millionth time. You can really tell she's over it, in regards to singing that song. She leaves it to her background singers to do most of the singing on it, in recent years. She sounds good throughout this set and even pulled out "Something Special". Nice to hear that one.

Also, nice to see Debbie Henry is still with Patti, holding it down in the background. She's the one wearing the shades. I was a bit surprised that her longtime musical director, John Stanley, wasn't a part of this. Although I seem to remember seeing one of her recent performances and he was there, so I'll assume he's still with her.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Also, nice to see Debbie Henry is still with Patti, holding it down in the background. She's the one wearing the shades. I was a bit surprised that her longtime musical director, John Stanley, wasn't a part of this. Although I seem to remember seeing one of her recent performances and he was there, so I'll assume he's still with her.
    I'm friendly with John; he has indeed left the LaBelle fold and announced as much on his social media a few months back.

Oh wow...thanks for confirming, sansradio. I was suspecting that perhaps that was the case and had checked his Instagram and Twitter last night and but didn't see any announcement posts. I don't actively follow him, so I must have missed it. Darn, sorry to hear this. Hopefully it was an amicable parting.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Oh wow...thanks for confirming, sansradio. I was suspecting that perhaps that was the case and had checked his Instagram and Twitter last night and but didn't see any announcement posts. I don't actively follow him, so I must have missed it. Darn, sorry to hear this. Hopefully it was an amicable parting.
    Sure thing. It was completely amicable. He still fills in with her from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Sure thing. It was completely amicable. He still fills in with her from time to time.
    That's good to hear. After Budd Ellison, I think John was the best music director Patti had.
    Last edited by reese; 02-24-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That's good to hear. After Budd Ellison, I think James was the best music director Patti had.
    Indeed. Budd's legacy with Patti is etched in stone, but John did a brilliant job when he took up the reins.

@Carlos: Meant to add that yeah, it's great to see Debbie! That woman is a sangin' sum'n'nother! She'll sing a hole in anybody's church!
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-24-2022 at 02:22 PM.

@Carlos: Meant to add that yeah, it's great to see Debbie! That woman is a sangin' sum'n'nother! She'll sing a hole in anybody's church!
    The first time I saw Debbie with Patti was on her BE YOURSELF tour. Patti's last sister Jackie had recently passed and she was in a bad place. She called Debbie forward to sing TROUBLES OF THIS WORLD, a song she had sung at Jackie's funeral. Can I tell you that theatre erupted! My cousin was passing Kleenex down the row because people were so moved.

Hey Sansradio...glad to hear that John and Patti parted amicably. And yes, Debbie is amazing! A real singer!

Reese...I didn't know that Debbie has been with Patti since the 80's! I remember she also got a solo spot and sang "Troubles Of This World" when I saw Patti in 2011...it was a highlight for sure! I remember recording a bunch of it, because I was floored by her voice.

Yes! Her rendition of "Shower the People" on Patti's Live in New York DVD is a monster, too! Lord Almighty.

I have to also give kudos to Stan Lewis, Patti's m.d. for this Tiny Desk set. Those fresh, jazzy, horn-drenched new arrangements are out of this world! And Debbie and company's new background charts knocked me out! Outstanding.

Yes! Her rendition of "Shower the People" on Patti's Live in New York DVD is a monster, too! Lord Almighty.
    It's been a while since I've watched that DVD. Time for me to dig it out this weekend It's a great concert...I especially love the Labelle reunion. Nona really shows up in this show, in more ways than one

They gonna have let Patti-Patti sing at the Big Desk. Cause Miss don't do nothing tiny!!!, according to a spokesperson.