[REMOVE ADS]

Which were your first bought Supremes' album or albums?

On a Saturday morning, I went to the local store and bought two albums "The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl" and "The Supremes Greatest Hits. Vol.1."
    I know that the song "There's No Stopping Us Now" has a musical horn glitch note, nevertheless it remains a great song of potential worth- TNSUN.

By the way, have members of The Supremes ever performed this song in concert?

Has Diana Ross ever performed this song in Concert?

Thank you all for your posts and being kind.

Ahh....Two great albums that you were able to purchase!

Yes, "There's No Stopping Us Now" has that famous horn glitch in it. I'm not aware of this ever being performed in concert. Vocally, this is one that Diana excels in delivering because of the long phrases she often sings in 'one breath' and the range from high to low that her voice has to maneuver.

Another famous glitch, at least to me, is on "Everything is Good About You" from the "I Hear a Symphony" album . At around marker 23, after Diana sings the word 'star', it is very obvious, at least to me, that the xylophone [[or celeste type instrument) does not ascend one step as in the previous patterns, and in the ones following). Over the years, I believe I have found one version which masks this flaw that always bothered me. The following link to the mono one that has not been edited.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsyZOY30S10

NOTE: I'm still trying to figure out how to properly imbed a YouTube link.
    Last edited by jobucats; 02-22-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Born in 1976 in the Netherlands in 1990 I got my allowance and actually needed new shoes. However, since hearing "Reflections" in China Beach, the Levi's commercial with Marvins "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", a national milk commercial with "My Girl", also the resurgence of the Four Tops "Loco in Acapulco" made me decide to buy "het beste van The Supremes". A Dutch collection in the series of "wereldsterren", costing me 34,95 in Dutch guilders.....in my mind the CD would last longer than shoes, so that was my first Supremes CD.

Not even distributed by Motown but done by EVA [[EMI, Virgin and Ariola). In the liner notes Mr Gordys name was sometimes mispelled as "Gordon".

For Christmas 1965 I received not one but two transistor radios. Prior to that I had listened to the radio very little and knew almost nothing about popular music. But I wore out those two radios and they quickly helped me define my musical tastes.

The first two 45s I chose to buy had nothing to do with Motown, but my very first album, not my first MOTOWN album but my first album period was I Hear a Symphony. Here we are today........56 years, 2,000 or so LPs, a couple of hundred 8 tracks, 1,000 or so cassettes, and 3,000 or so CDs later and I have never found a musical style or label more suited to my personal taste than Motown. I still have that vinyl LP by the way.

Now owning 45GB of Motown music. Only a few digital, but shelves full of CD's, including the complete set of the Complete Motown Singles Collection. Can you imagine, it took 10 years for that series to finish.

Oh, my first album I ever purchased was the mono version of "Supremes A Go Go" which we know was a dollar cheaper than buying the stereo version.

In hindsight, I made a mistake of selling this mono version and pooling extra money to buy the stereo version. I was DISAPPOINTED especially in the stereo version of "Baby, I Need Your Loving" where at the end I no longer heard Diana's vocals toward the end over just a bass and simple percussion but now there were all of these other instruments added! I was never able to retrieve that mono versions until the deluxe version of A Go Go came out a couple of years ago.

After Diana captured my 8-year-old imagination with the release of The Wiz, I embarked on a lifelong quest to collect all things Ross. My household had a grand total of two Supremes LPs [Merry Christmas and, inexplicably, Let the Sunshine In!], half the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack, and two Diana solo 45s ["Theme from Mahogany..." and "Love Hangover"]. I augmented those with diana and the Wiz soundtrack. To answer your initial question, my first purchased Supremes LPs were the Pickwick vinyl re-releases of Where Did Our Love Go and The Supremes at the Copa...both of which cost me @ $4.99 USD each.

Where Did Our Love Go album. I bought it through the old Columbia Records Club where you receive a number of albums for $.01 [[yes, one penny) each. You had to commit to buying a number of new releases. Can't recall how many as this was in 1964.

First album was the 2 disc Greatest Hits LP when it was released. I watched the Supremes everytime they appeared on TV, and loved Stop In The Name Of Love so my Mom bought me this record. I then went back and collected all the earlier LP's while keeping up with the current releases.

mom had the WDOLG album and my sister and i would play it sometimes and dance around

i'm not sure of exactly my first lp purchased - got TCB early from a neighbor and some of the early purchases included R&H and Right On

Rodgers and Hart, Greatest Hits and Let the Sunshine In are some of the first ones I remember listening to.

here are a few fun glitches and booboos in songs

Come See About Me - just before the final choruses, Diana is supposed to sing "keeps my crying baby for you, keeps me sighing baby for you" along with M and F. But diana repeats Crying

The Only Time I'm Happy - on one of the chorus in the middle of the song Mary starts up the scale too soon. they're supposed to move up to the next note on "Happy" but Mary accidentally does it on Only

This Old Heart [[mono version) - there's feedback on the first verse

I believe ANTHOLOGY [1974] was the first Supremes album I bought, although I might have bought FUNNY GIRL out of a cut-in bin not long before.

Name:  Diana Ross Box set.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  90.3 KB

Released in 1981, 5 albums of Supremes songs and 1 album Ross solo. A great introduction to the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Come See About Me - just before the final choruses, Diana is supposed to sing "keeps my crying baby for you, keeps me sighing baby for you" along with M and F. But diana repeats Crying

The Only Time I'm Happy - on one of the chorus in the middle of the song Mary starts up the scale too soon. they're supposed to move up to the next note on "Happy" but Mary accidentally does it on Only

This Old Heart [[mono version) - there's feedback on the first verse
    Oh was that a mistake on Come See About Me? All this time I thought it was intentional lol.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Oh was that a mistake on Come See About Me? All this time I thought it was intentional lol.
    lol i'm guessing it's a mistake. every other time she sings the same as M and F so I'm guessing here. also when they sang it live they always did sighing and crying

I became a fan of Diana Ross fan in late 1975 and began discovering the Supreme years through the record store cut out bins. My first album was Greatest Hits Vol. 3, followed by On Broadway. My father owned the Farewell album, so I began listening to that as well.

I laugh at how little Supremes knowledge I had at that time—I was just nine years old. From my first purchases I didn’t know the group was originally The Supremes; I thought it was DRATS until Diana departed. The Farewell booklet only mentioned Cindy, so when I heard Florence Ballard had passed I didn’t know who she was. My dad bought Anthology for me that week and I got “schooled” on the history of the group.

[[1967) Greatest Hits Lp that I then went to Tower Records and found the blue [[Vol.1) and pink [[Vol. 2) cds.

Bought WDOLG album, December 26, 1964. A Christmas gift from my mother. Ironically, I never knew that they were on Ed Sullivan the following night!

I got MH album in the summer of 1965, again thanks to my mother. She vetoed my request to get The Beatles '65 and approved that I buy MH. Thanks, Mom! [I did get The Beatles album a few weeks later!]

I was now getting Supremes albums as released, Merry Christmas for my 16th birthday, The Copa for Christmas and Symphony in early '66. I spent the next few weeks buying all the specialty albums, including Apollo and Paris.

In mid-1966 I joined the Columbia Record Club and got 10 albums for $1. I got Marvin Gaye, Mary Wells, Vandellas and Marvelettes Greatest Hits in the bunch.

By the time A' Go-Go came out I started buying Supremes albums when released, practically on the day of release! Prior to the 1967 GH, all my albums were mono. I was able to find stereo versions, except for Liverpool and Sam Cooke, in cut-out bins in the early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Speaking of "The Only Time I'm Happy", what always caught my attention is that slight thud I hear in the middle of Diana's recitation at the beginning. Sounds like somebody dropped something. Also, to me, her spoken words lack any feeling as they audibly die away during her last few words as if she might have been thinking, "Alright now, I am tired of talking. I'm ready to 'sang'!"

These are great stories members are sharing..my first supremes purchase was the 1986 anthology CD ..

in 1976 diana was hot with Love Hangover and i got Supremes 1974 anthology set for christmas.
    soon there after i bought DR 76 with allowance. most supremes albums were out of print by then by i did find a few at Woolsworth in the 1.99 bin. not exactly sure what i purchased next but i think it was DR70 and Surremder.
    then i found Rogers and Hart,Love Child
    been hooked ever since

In the UK we had 20 golden greats by Diana Ross and Diana Ross & Supremes both released around 1980 both advertised on TV, these were the first but then there were budget MFP lps from Woolworths of talk of the town, a 70's compilation Stoned Love and a early Ross and Supremes compilation called Baby Love which was played till it was worn out, Happy Memories

20 Golden Greats was the first Supremes album I bought and I really never needed to buy any more of the 60s records as it contained almost every hit.

But then I fell in love with 'When the Lovelight Starts' so I later had to buy 'Anthology'.

By this stage I also wanted the 70s Supremes hits, so began to buy a few of their albums.

I liked making my own play-tapes for when driving in the car so made my own 'Supremes' or 'Diana' greatest hits.

By this stage I also wanted to get some other Motown artists and generally their 'Greatest Hits' for Mary Wells, The Tempts etc were my 'go to' buys. The British 'Motown Chartbuster' compilations were also really useful for getting more obscure releases [[eg Martha & The V's 'Forget Me Not' or 'Bless You' which were otherwise hard to come by at the time.

I used all these albums to put together many, many Motown compilations for the car. Most of them would have just one track from a singer or group per side of the cassette and could feature about ten different artists.

As dickie said above 'Happy Memories'.

The first album that I bought by Diana Ross & The Supremes was Let The Sunshine In when it came out in spring 1969.

TCB, then Love Child were definitely first and second in that order. Soon after were GH3, C o t C, Right On, then they all blur together!

Diana Ross & Supremes Greatest Hits. [[Blue cover, small yellow/green pic)
    A Christmas present from my parents. The record was warped, but didn’t deter me from playing it to death on the small portable record player in my bedroom. I don’t think my family saw much of me that Christmas. Happy days.

The 1970s version of Anthology on double cassette in 1990.

My first Supremes album wasn't actually a purchase, but a borrow from my then-boyfriend's mother [who had been a teen in the '60s]. It was Summer of 1987, I was turning 18, and I'd just bought "Dreamgirl." When I saw the DRATS "Greatest Hits" 2-LP set at his mom's house, I had to borrow it. It quickly became my 'soundtrack' to accompany the book and I fell deeply in love with DMF! A month or so later, after I'd had to return the records due to our breakup, I trekked to the local mall and bought myself the "25th Anniversary" set on 2 cassettes [had to have a way to listen to my new favs on the go in the car!] and my love for The Sups' catalog [as we know GH only covered up to mid-'67] grew even further--AND the set introduced me to so many unreleased "new" songs!
    Last edited by danman869; 02-26-2022 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammar