[REMOVE ADS]

'Irma Thomas, a Soul Queen Far Beyond New Orleans' - NY Times

In today's NY Times - a PBS doc is coming!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/a...homas-pbs.html

ps: Thomas looks movie-star gorgeous in the new photos accompanying the article -

Thanks for posting this. I had written the airdate down on my calendar but reading this article gave me a nudge to make sure I don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    In today's NY Times - a PBS doc is coming!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/a...homas-pbs.html
    Wonderful News about Irma Thomas! While I couldn't read the article in the Times [since I don't have a subscription] I'll be looking for the documentary on PBS in the coming weeks. Thanks PNH for the news.

I did a little checking on google and located this story about the upcoming documentary.

Irma: My Life In Music' documentary to air on PBS stations in February
    KNKX Public Radio | By Robin Lloyd
    Published February 10, 2022 at 8:00 AM PST
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Irma Thomas
    WLAE-TV And LAE Productions
    /
    “The Soul Queen Of New Orleans – A Concert Documentary Film” 2021
    Irma Thomas
    Beginning this month and running throughout the spring, PBS stations across the country will broadcast “Irma: My Life in Music,” a new documentary about the life and career of Grammy Award-winning artist Irma Thomas.
    Beloved New Orleans singer Irma Thomas will turn 81 on Feb. 18.

The Louisiana native recorded her first single, “Don’t Mess With My Man,” in 1959. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, Thomas recorded songs written for her by pianist Allen Toussaint and worked all over the Gulf Coast. She opened a music club, The Lion's Den, with her husband in the 1980s.

Thomas received Grammy nominations in 1991 and 1999, and a Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Blues Album in 2007 for her album "After the Rain." She performed in Seattle in 2010.

The 90-minute program "Irma: My Life In Music" includes an extensive interview with Thomas and commentary from many of her colleagues.

Highlights include archival performances and interview footage from decades of live shows filmed by Michael Murphy Productions at The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

Check your local PBS station listings for "Irma: My Life In Music." The documentary will also be shown on the World Channel on Feb. 25 and 26.

Listen for Irma Thomas on KNKX's award-winning All Blues program, hosted by John Kessler, on Saturdays and Sundays from 6 p.m. until midnight.
    Last edited by woodward; 02-17-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Wonderful News about Irma Thomas! While I couldn't read the article in the Times [since I don't have a subscription] I'll be looking for the documentary on PBS in the coming weeks. Thanks PNH for the news.
    Hi, ME! I'll do a copy-and-paste tomorrow. Best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I had written the airdate down on my calendar but reading this article gave me a nudge to make sure I don't miss it.
    Hi Reese - I had no previously heard of the film - just wondering how you had learned about it? Might be a news source I want to keep up with!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Hi Reese - I had no previously heard of the film - just wondering how you had learned about it? Might be a news source I want to keep up with!
    I receive the monthly magazine from my PBS affiliate.

I wish Real Gone Music or Ace would gather together Irma's early singles along with her first two albums in mono. The sound quality of some of those cuts on Charly CDs is subpar. Ace gathered a couple of RicTic A sides spead across two Various Artist compilations but they haven't reissued all the relevant cuts.