[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hi, Snake. Yeah Nick and Dino were a couple of talented dudes. I believe Nick passed a few years back.

Ralph,
    yes i believe so.

One of the BIGGEST Northern soul records of all time [[ a lot of history, loved by many people ) was written by Nick and Dino.
    I think Tobi Legend was Tobi Lark, who had no idea that the track was ever issued and that her name was changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFengwX8AA

Interesting, I see Harry Balk's Gomba Music was the publisher.

I presume out of Detroit?

Yes, Detroit.

Nick and Dino were once under contract to Harry, I seem to remember. I know it was Harry who brought them to Motown.

In the Documentary, Dino says that the decision by Motown to fire him gave him the idea of writing " I will survive".
    He had seen a Rare Earth track used on a TV show...."Generation" and it gave him a boost....and the song came from that.

When life hands you lemons.....

The only problem I had with the Nick and Dino productions of Stoney was they were taking her away from where I thought she should be, musically.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-02-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    In the Documentary, Dino says that the decision by Motown to fire him gave him the idea of writing " I will survive".
    He had seen a Rare Earth track used on a TV show...."Generation" and it gave him a boost....and the song came from that.
    nice tidbit learned there that i didn't know....

I wonder what inspired SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING?? hee hee.
    [as an aside I worked in a record store when that came out and a guy came in wanting the song, "SHAKE YOUR MOOD RING" -remember those !
    I had to laugh imagining him on a dancefloor waving his mood ring all about. lol!]

Has it been explained how Stoney, Shaun, ....came to be "Stoney"?

I'm not sure if I ever asked Stoney about the origin of the name, Boog. She was always Stoney to me. It just fit her. I guess we will have to wait for her response.

12. Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Hey Shaun welcome to the best forum around - we love being on here. Much respect and it's taken too long for the Stoney & Meatloaf album to be officially digitally available. Very sad about Meat - he made his mark though, big style. And you got top billing in the Rare Earth days. Great to be hearing those tracks again.
    It was a huge shock when he passed....he was so 'gung-ho' about all the new projects he had.....

13. I sure would have liked to know where that would have gone!!!!!

14. Hmmmmm, I have no idea what the word Boog is, or where it came from.....

Shaun, Maybe a little confusion here. Boog is forum member boogiedown. Or am I confused?

The question was, where did the name Stoney come from.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-02-2022 at 05:32 PM.

I communicated with Stoney. She is a little wrapped up with career issues for the moment but said she would post soon.

Thanks for the update. Just happy you brought her to the forum, thank you!

Looks amazing!!

Orderd a copy [[shipping to NL 10 dollar)

21. Ralph, No problem....just glad to be here!!!

22. BTW! I've been in touch for the last couple of years with some folks connected with Universal and they're supposed to be re-releasing the Stoney and Meatloaf album of all times, on my birthday; May 6th.....
    There's been some discussion of adding a few unreleased songs to make it a double CD.....not sure how that'll play out yet......some wheels just go at a snail's pace....lol, we've been talking since the beginning of 2019......keep your fingers crossed!!!!

I noticed a list of potential songs for the extra CD. Most titles I wasn't familiar with. Maybe you did more recording in L.A. than I was aware of.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-07-2022 at 03:31 PM.

24. Got it!!! Thank you.....

25. All right!!! looks like it's a real deal......

26. Ralph, I guess we did!!!!! Can't wait to hear it....

Just ordered my copy!

I've been waiting years for this album to be released on CD. Looking forward to the extras, particularly Stoney's solo on Sunshine.

I'm all ears Stoney, but if some of those titles are news to you, I don't know what to think.

Wondering which titles are new to Ms Murphy, as I wrote, I pre-ordered mine, can't wait to discover.

Ralph etc - this thread gets my vote as SD's best, most informative thread ever. Thanks to all -

Thank you, PNH. Glad you are enjoying it. I have a couple more artists waiting in the wings that I am going to introduce.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-10-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Thank you, PNH. Glad you are enjoying it. I have a couple more artists waiting in the wings that I am going to introduce.
    That sounds great, Ralph! We will all be interested to hear your continued input once the expanded set comes out.

Waiting on my own input PNH. Other than a couple of songs, I'm rather skeptical of what disc two might contain.

Well this is the track list from the ad...

CD 1:

[[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
    She Waits By The Window
    It Takes All Kinds Of People
    Game Of Love
    Kiss Me Again
    What You See Is What You Get
    Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)
    Jimmy Bell
    Lady Be Mine
    Jessica White
    What You See Is What You Get [[Mono Single Version)
    Lady Be Mine [[Mono Single Version)
    It Takes All Kinds of People [[Mono Single Version)
    The Way You Do the Things You Do [[Mono Single Version)

CD 2:

Let Me Come Down Easy [[Single Version)
    It's Always Me [[Single Version)
    Carry Me
    A Woman Left Lonely
    Mo Jo Hannah
    Stone Liberty
    Sunshine [[Where's Heaven) [[Stoney Solo Version)
    Touch And Go
    The Way You Do The Things You Do
    Everything Under The Sun
    Stone Heart
    Who Is The Leader Of The People
    Jimmy Bell
    It Takes All Kinds of People

Amazon UK shows release date Friday 13 May 2022 and the price is currently an outrageous £30.51.

Not sure how that translates into dollars, but it seems pretty steep.

So that's $39.78 right now [[but the Mary Wilson Anthology started high and went down to £12.99 [[$16.94). In the end it'll all be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Nick and Dino were once under contract to Harry, I seem to remember. I know it was Harry who brought them to Motown.
    It was in 1968 when Motown took over distribution of the Inferno label.
    Nick and Dino co-wrote with Harry Balk and Duke Browner "Tally Ho", a Detroit Wheels b-side.

Harry took Duke to Motown, also.

40. Thank you johnjeb!!! I have a swell....can't wait to hear it!

41. mysterysinger, It sure does seem awfully steep.....maybe in todays conversion: $34.00, give or take????

42. Thank you!!!

Stoney, I noticed "Let Me Come Down Easy" was on the Motown label. I found that interesting. Looks like Motown had some ideas for your future.

Having been to the Motown Museum in Detroit I've got an idea of the size and scale of the studios there [[though I know the studios were dispersed in reality). How did that compare with the studios at Mowest?

Berry went deep in his pockets for the West Coast operation, equipping them with the latest recording technology. By comparison, the Detroit studios were archaic.

Of course I should add that those archaic studios cranked out more hits than the West Coast could ever even dream of doing.

The L.A. studio operation was impressive, I must admit. The premises contained three studios named Sunrise, Sunset and Dawn. What was amazing and so very expensive was each studio was identical to the other. Actually, that was an astounding feature. A producer could be in the middle of vocals, mixing or what ever. If the booked time had run out or wanting to continue the following day, any available studio would work because of the identical acoustic and electronic properties. Cost a fortune to achieve that.

With Stoney and Meatloaf in the Detroit studios, we did most of the tracking in Studio A and all vocals in Studio B.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-17-2022 at 03:21 PM.

48. Hey Ralph, I think they did too. Once I was relocated out to LA, they put me with Bob Gaudio and Artie Fields to write some songs for me. However, the last artist that Artie worked with was Helen Reddy, so it wasn't a great match up....lol

49. I think I worked with Russ at Sunset??? Was that right? I know it was either Sunrise or Sunset.....

I'll see if I can get Russ to come on, Stoney. I'm sure he would like to say hello to you.