[REMOVE ADS]

Memories of the late Doris Holland of Motown Museum fame

I don't know how many people have met her personally or have any knowledge of the role she played in the legacy of the Motown Museum.

Today, 25 years ago, on February 12, 1997, Doris Holland departed us. She was hired by Motown in 1962 as a typist and worked in numerous departments. After the company left for Los Angeles, Doris remained in Detroit and served in the capacity of corporate secretary and assisted Esther Gordy Edwards organize the museum there. Her husband Lincoln was at the museum conducting tours quite often. She would be 87 years old today if still with us.

She was always enthused and congenial to visitors to the museum and was a true asset to Mrs. Edwards. Mrs. Edwards said she planned to create a memorial for Doris at the Hitsville facility. I hope that this comes to fruition.

Have any other forum members met or do any remember Doris or Lincoln?

They were both truly great people. Long live their memory.

Was she related to Brian and Eddie Holland?

I was fortunate enough to meet Doris Holland on visits to the Hitsville museum at the end of the 90s. She was a most, friendly, helpful and elegant lady. I only met her a handful of times, she was working closely with Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards,
    but her wonderful grace and charm left an indelible impression on me. A real lady. So glad she’s not forgotten.

As I recently relayed to one of our guys on here, when my friend and I visited the Museum a dozen or so years ago, we parked across the street and walked over to it. We were of course quite excited to be there and could not WAIT to get inside after all these years.

As you can visualize, there are two parts to the building....I will call them the right and the left. As we were headed toward the right, which appeared to be the main entrance, a nice lady who was standing in front of the left part, greeted us. I can't remember exactly what she said but it was obviously a friendly welcoming gesture.

However, we were so excited to get inside that we did not properly acknowledge her or consider approaching her for a conversation. To this day, I have regretted not being more appreciative and have wondered what Motown luminary she might have been.

Once inside, the visit was terrific of course although this was before the recent remodeling, so we may have to go back someday. If there was a disappointment inside, it would be that all the guides, staff, etc. appeared to be teenagers or not much more, so there was limited first-hand experience or authenticity to whatever they were adding to the visit.

Indeed.
    My friend and I offered quite a bit of information to our guide , that was clearly unknown to him.