[REMOVE ADS]

Fans asked to Pray, for The Manhattans, David Tyson.

It was sad, late Friday evening, to hear that Fans of The Manhattans Featuring Gerald Alston, are being asked if they will please Pray for group member, David Tyson.

'On behalf of the Harvey, Tyson and The Manhattans featuring Gerald Alston family, we’re asking for everyone’s heart-felt prayers for our dear brother, Dave Tyson, vocalist for The Manhattans.'

'Soul Tracks' also posted,

'For nearly three decades, David Tyson has been part of the reunited soul music legends, The Manhattans. The Philadelphia native grew up in a musical family, and his admiration for his older brother, Ron Tyson stoked that musical love even more. Ron was an accomplished Philadelphia songwriter who became the falsetto lead for the Temptations in the 1980s [[continuing to this day) and David saw through that a possible future career.

Tyson formed the group Final Touch and began making waves in the Philadelphia area. But it was his call from Ron in 1993 that changed his life, informing David that the legendary vocal group the Manhattans were reuniting – led by Gerald Alston and Blue Lovett – and were looking for a tenor singer. David auditioned and became part of the quartet, along with Troy May. He has kept that role ever since, continuing with Alston even after the passing of Lovett in 2014. Tyson also recorded a solo single, "What Would I Do" in 2014, giving soul music fans a better sense of his expressive tenor voice outside of the group setting.

In 2021, the Manhattans [[Alston, Tyson and May) released their first album in more than a decade, The Legacy Continues. The followed it at the end of 2021 with their version of “The Christmas Song,” and are starting 2022 picking up where they left off before COVID, treating their fans to a brand new national tour'

We’ll be praying with fans for a full recovery of David Tyson, and hope that he’ll be back on the road singing soon

Hi, a bit more about Dave...

DAVE TYSON
    David Lewis Tyson was born in Philadelphia, PA, on September 14 in 1959. David: “My father was a nine-to-five working man. I have four sisters and two brothers. In my childhood our house was always full of music, and I used to sing on street-corners with some other guys for anybody, who wanted to hear me sing. I would always show off and sing in front of the girls in the schoolyard.”

One of David’s brothers is Ron Tyson, who’s been a member of the Temptations for close to thirty years now. David: “I followed my brother. My brother had a lot of groups, when I was growing up, and a lot of these groups were rehearsing in the basement of our house.”

One of Ron’s groups was the Ethics, which was formed in 1967. “It affected me a lot. Every time he would play at the Uptown Theater in Philadelphia, my mom would take me and all the guys in the neighbourhood there. I loved it. I always wanted to be with my brother. I cherished him a lot.” From 1974 the Ethics would continue as Love Committee until 1980.

“Later on I formed my own group, Final Touch, in 1987 and we won The African-American talent show at the Uptown Theater. We made no recordings. We were almost picked up by Hush Productions in New York, but that fell through. We disbanded in 1991.”

“Then I met Eugene “Lambchop” Curry in 1991. He’s a keyboard player and he’s one of the best. We wrote a lot of songs together, but we never did anything with them.” Eugene is also a producer and he has written or co-written songs for numerous artists, such as Patti LaBelle [[Somebody Loves You Baby) and the Dells [[I Can’t Help Myself).

“Next I found out that Blue was looking for another singer for the Manhattans. My brother knew that I could sing, and he asked me to call Blue. Cholly Atkins was a legendary choreographer for step dancers. Cholly called me up and explained me what to do, and after that I called Blue. I met Blue at the Valley Forge Music Fair [[in Denvon, Pennsylvania). I met him backstage over there, we talked and I auditioned for him... and that was it. That was when Blue and Gerald had the reunion tour. I came in just as it started blowing up. I took Eban Brown’s spot, when he left.”

“I remember on some of my visits to the Uptown Theater the Manhattans were there. I remember them come on stage and put the strobe light on, and then they would turn the lights out and put on a black light on hands and all you could see was white gloves. They’re one of my favourites along with the Temptations, my brother’s group. I just love singing with them.”

“We have these ladies called the Manhattanettes [[in Facebook under “Manhattans_East Coast Connection). They keep us alive and in everybody’s mind. These girls are tremendous. They really do their job... and do it free. They’re great and beautiful women. I love them.” [[www.davetyson.com).

Thanks! Heikki.

Sad news to report , that sadly David Tyson, has passed away! Deepest sympathy & condolences to Family & Friends, and of course his friends in The Manhattan's featuring Gerald Alston, Rest in Peace David.
    Last edited by jaybs; 02-17-2022 at 04:20 PM.