[REMOVE ADS]

Automatically Sunshine lyric question [[Anthology version)

In Automatically Sunshine [[Anthology version) in the third verse after the long bridge, Mary sings "Oooh baby until you find you".

I wonder - was that a lyric by Smokey, an improv by Mary, or something else? Whatever it is, it is brilliant in that song, but rarely done by song writers. I believe its called a third person self-referential phrase, but it often confuses listeners so lyricists avoid it. Any lyricists in the ghetto, please correct if wrong.

[[Obscure note: Similarly, Ella Fitzgerald once sang the Gershwin song "Fascinating Rhythm" live with Ira in the audience where she flubbed the line "I long to be the gal I used to be" to "I long to be the gal I long to be" and he loved it, commenting how he should have written the lyric that way. That story is in the liner notes to the album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook on Verve).

Sorry, please move to the DRATS ghetto. Thought I was there.

There are some similar lyrics and sentiment expressed in Mary’s “I Don’t Want to Lose You” and even in the title of Charlene’s “I’ve Never Been to Me.”