[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,967
    Rep Power
    221

    Sidney Poitier, Oscar-winning actor & Hollywood's first Black movie star, dies at 94

    From CNN.com-
    Sidney Poitier, whose elegant bearing and principled onscreen characters made him Hollywood's first Black movie star and the first Black man to win the best actor Oscar, has died. He was 94.

    Clint Watson, press secretary for the Prime Minister of the Bahamas, confirmed to CNN that Poitier died Thursday evening.
    Poitier overcame an impoverished background in the Bahamas and softened his thick island accent to rise to the top of his profession at a time when prominent roles for Black actors were rare. He won the Oscar for 1963's "Lilies of the Field," in which he played an itinerant laborer who helps a group of White nuns build a chapel.
    Many of his best-known films explored racial tensions as Americans were grappling with social changes wrought by the civil rights movement. In 1967 alone, he appeared as a Philadelphia detective fighting bigotry in small-town Mississippi in "In the Heat of the Night" and a doctor who wins over his White fiancée's skeptical parents in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

    Read More Here-
    Sidney Poitier, Oscar-winning actor and Hollywood's first Black movie star, dies at 94 - CNN









  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    A man who had to figuratively carry the weight of the world on his shoulders to represent Black folks with dignity and integrity did so with the greatest of grace. Sleep in power and peace, Sir Sidney...well done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25,905
    Rep Power
    499
    MAJOR, MAJOR TALENT!! COMMANDING PRESENCE!!!!

    Without a doubt, Sans.....that man was everything!!!!!! Agree whole heartedly with you!!
    He will be missed!! RIP.....the Good Lord needs you with Him.:[[

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Who could forget “the slap heard ‘round the world”? Absolutely earth-shattering for 1967–the year he also became Hollywood’s number-one box office star with three smash hits [plus this one!!!]:


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25,905
    Rep Power
    499
    Excellent choice, Sans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Excellent choice, Sans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed! This was right around the time he got production leverage to do more interesting work than his usual "perfect Negro" roles. Remember Buck and the Preacher? A Warm December [the Black answer to Love Story]? Brother John, where he was a Christ-like figure? What a gaping loss...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25,905
    Rep Power
    499
    Sans, what did you think of A Patch Of Blue? Just curious.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Sans, what did you think of A Patch Of Blue? Just curious.
    Well-acted and -directed by all, but ultimately...meh. It tried too hard to be earnest and bleeding-hearted. Shelley Winters stole the movie, though. She chewed that scenery like it was Doublemint!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25,905
    Rep Power
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well-acted and -directed by all, but ultimately...meh. It tried too hard to be earnest and bleeding-hearted. Shelley Winters stole the movie, though. She chewed that scenery like it was Doublemint!
    You just confirmed what I thought all along.......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    You just confirmed what I thought all along.......
    Okay? I mean, of course the white girl who falls in love with his character has to be blind, right? Hit me over the head with an Acme anvil, why don't ya.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    25,466
    Rep Power
    470
    Another icon gone. He had more iconic scenes than can fairly be counted. Thank God, those moments will never be lost.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    The new guard confronts the old [with Roy E. Glenn, Sr.]:


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25,905
    Rep Power
    499
    Sans, you posted my favorite scene in my favorite SP movie! Just think, he's in this
    "controversial" movie [at the time]. And he's co-starring with two HUGE legendary actors!
    Personally, he should've been nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor along with Spencer Tracy.
    Such presence!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Sans, you posted my favorite scene in my favorite SP movie! Just think, he's in this
    "controversial" movie [at the time]. And he's co-starring with two HUGE legendary actors!
    Personally, he should've been nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor along with Spencer Tracy.
    Such presence!!
    Real talk! Thank goodness the fabulous Beah Richards rightfully got a supporting actress nod as his mother [though she was only about 6 years older than Poitier!], but I would have loved to have seen Isabel Sanford get a nomination as well for playing the holy hell out of the tough-as-nails maid Tillie:

    Last edited by sansradio; 01-09-2022 at 07:08 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,462
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well-acted and -directed by all, but ultimately...meh. It tried too hard to be earnest and bleeding-hearted. Shelley Winters stole the movie, though. She chewed that scenery like it was Doublemint!
    Didn't Shelley pretty much do that with all her characters? Think: The Poseisdon Adventure [[original) when she drowned; still tear up to this day! That flick where she plays Montgomery Clift's side chick to his two-timing with Liz Taylor, etc.

    I agree with you on A Patch of Blue, Sans.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,462
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Real talk! Thank goodness the fabulous Beah Richards rightfully got a supporting actress nod as his mother [though she was only about 6 years older than Poitier!], but I would have loved to have seen Isabel Sanford get a nomination as well for playing the holy hell out of the tough-as-nails maid Tillie:

    Yeah, right, Sans. No mammy-ism for the future Mrs. Jefferson!!!!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,489
    Rep Power
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Didn't Shelley pretty much do that with all her characters? Think: The Poseisdon Adventure [[original) when she drowned; still tear up to this day! That flick where she plays Montgomery Clift's side chick to his two-timing with Liz Taylor, etc.

    I agree with you on A Patch of Blue, Sans.
    Yeah, you’re right about Shelley! Two words: CLEOPATRA JONES.😁😁😁

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.