[REMOVE ADS]

Rolling Stone Podcast - Marvin's 'What's Going On'

A wonderful presentation. Well worth a listen; many great statements. And a question that I have always considered about WGO - would the album have existed without Obie Benson? And does Benson get enough credit?

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/a9...reatest-Albums

Good Question! I suggest that we wouldn't have had Marvin Gaye's classic "What's Going On" without Obie Benson & Al Cleveland. Marvin wanted to make a 'protest record' during the late '60s and would've eventually come up with a song [as well as an album] on his own. And it's a good thing that Benson along with Cleveland got Marvin to put the finishing touches on it & do the song. And let's be thankful that the single took off the way it did since that led directly to the What's Going On album. Renaldo 'Obie' Benson & Al Cleveland don't get enough credit for kickstarting one of the Greatest records ever.

Thanks PNH for sharing the podcast about Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Also, the late Ben Edmonds wrote a fine book about Marvin's classic LP as well a look at Motown Records during the early 70's. Highly Recommended!
    What's Going On? Marvin Gaye and the Last Days of the Motown Sound [Mojo Heroes]: Ben Edmonds: 9781841950839: Amazon.com: Books

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks PNH for sharing the podcast about Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Also, the late Ben Edmonds wrote a fine book about Marvin's classic LP as well a look at Motown Records during the early 70's. Highly Recommended!
    What's Going On? Marvin Gaye and the Last Days of the Motown Sound [Mojo Heroes]: Ben Edmonds: 9781841950839: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks, MEddie! The book is, indeed, referenced in the podcast. I also feel that without Obie Benson first, then Al Cleveland, WGO would have never existed. Gaye was quite lost at the time and I don't think he would have had the inspiration without Obie and Al. I have another question about the lp but I'll wait to see if we have any more interest in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

This is indeed a fabulous book. I highly recommend it.