[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146

    Wonderful Christmas Tume

    I was playing this cd a little early as i’m stuck at home with a bad cold, trying to cheer myself up.
    For me it remains one of the best Christmas cd’s out there, being glad she chose to record more traditional/adult orientated songs as opposed to “Frosty The Snowman”
    I remember on first listen being amazed at the strength of her vocals on “His Eye Is On The Sparrow”.
    The songs recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra are a little lacklustre in comparison, but still make a welcome edition to the package.
    I love all the songs with the exception of “Ave Maria”, with Latin pronunciation not being Diana’s strongest point.
    Her live in Vienna version of “Amazing Grace” is spine tingling and probably one of, if not the very best live performances of her career.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Or even Christmas TIME lol. I do have a bad cold.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    905
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Or even Christmas TIME lol. I do have a bad cold.....
    Get well, Ollie9. It's time for me to listen to Wonderful Christmas Time, too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Get well, Ollie9. It's time for me to listen to Wonderful Christmas Time, too.
    Ta very much lucky. It all comes around to quickly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    It really is a nice collection of songs Ollie. I keep a few of them in constant rotation during the holidays: "Wonderful Christmastime", "Happy Christmas", "Someday At Christmas" and my personal favorite, "Overjoyed". For the longest time I didn't understand why she chose this as I just never imagined it as a Christmas tune. Stevie's version is one of my all time favorite songs period, and the first few listens to Diana's version left me unimpressed. Over the last few years it started making more sense. I started to understand Diana's interpretation better and now think it was a brilliant idea turning the song into a holiday tune. It's now the one Diana Christmas song I'll probably play for the rest of my life. That and her version of "This Christmas", which I also think she did justice to.

    Get well Ollie!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    905
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It really is a nice collection of songs Ollie. I keep a few of them in constant rotation during the holidays: "Wonderful Christmastime", "Happy Christmas", "Someday At Christmas" and my personal favorite, "Overjoyed". For the longest time I didn't understand why she chose this as I just never imagined it as a Christmas tune. Stevie's version is one of my all time favorite songs period, and the first few listens to Diana's version left me unimpressed. Over the last few years it started making more sense. I started to understand Diana's interpretation better and now think it was a brilliant idea turning the song into a holiday tune. It's now the one Diana Christmas song I'll probably play for the rest of my life. That and her version of "This Christmas", which I also think she did justice to.

    Get well Ollie!
    Have a Wonderful Christmas Time, RanRan! I'm so glad we have Wonderful Christmas Time and Thank You. Truly gifts for us from Diana Ross.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It really is a nice collection of songs Ollie. I keep a few of them in constant rotation during the holidays: "Wonderful Christmastime", "Happy Christmas", "Someday At Christmas" and my personal favorite, "Overjoyed". For the longest time I didn't understand why she chose this as I just never imagined it as a Christmas tune. Stevie's version is one of my all time favorite songs period, and the first few listens to Diana's version left me unimpressed. Over the last few years it started making more sense. I started to understand Diana's interpretation better and now think it was a brilliant idea turning the song into a holiday tune. It's now the one Diana Christmas song I'll probably play for the rest of my life. That and her version of "This Christmas", which I also think she did justice to.

    Get well Ollie!
    “Overjoyed” is another of my favourites from the collection and seems to fit really well with the Christmas themed songs.
    I think it might possibly have done well in the UK had it been released as a single, with Diana over here to promote it. “Your Love” having been a sizeable hit the previous Christmas”
    I also like the jazz arrangement on Jingle Bells” which is rather cool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,720
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I was playing this cd a little early as i’m stuck at home with a bad cold, trying to cheer myself up.
    For me it remains one of the best Christmas cd’s out there, being glad she chose to record more traditional/adult orientated songs as opposed to “Frosty The Snowman”
    I remember on first listen being amazed at the strength of her vocals on “His Eye Is On The Sparrow”.
    The songs recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra are a little lacklustre in comparison, but still make a welcome edition to the package.
    I love all the songs with the exception of “Ave Maria”, with Latin pronunciation not being Diana’s strongest point.
    Her live in Vienna version of “Amazing Grace” is spine tingling and probably one of, if not the very best live performances of her career.
    I have the cd but havent listened to it since its release..I have no recollection of the tracks but will give it another listen a bit closer to xmas and see what I think !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,772
    Rep Power
    167
    We never got the original Christmas release in the US. I had an import of it, and enjoyed it very much. I also had the Hallmark cd. I love that we have them all in one package now. And, I also added her This Christmas to my mp3 album. It's a lovely Holiday cd, and it always gets play in my home.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I have the cd but havent listened to it since its release..I have no recollection of the tracks but will give it another listen a bit closer to xmas and see what I think !
    I’m sure you’ll enjoy nomis. I’m pleased Diana decided to make it a more traditional Christmas offering.
    Including such songs as “Overjoyed” and “What The World Needs Now” makes the album a little different from the usual Christmas holiday releases. I wish she had also recorded “My Favourite Things”.
    My only beef being the original album cover was a trifle lacklustre. Something like the artwork used for “Greatest Hits Live” would have worked brilliantly.
    It’s a shame the unused tracks weren’t added to the rerelease

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Have a Wonderful Christmas Time, RanRan!
    I'm trying Lucky! You do the same!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “Overjoyed” is another of my favourites from the collection and seems to fit really well with the Christmas themed songs.
    I think it might possibly have done well in the UK had it been released as a single, with Diana over here to promote it. “Your Love” having been a sizeable hit the previous Christmas”
    I also like the jazz arrangement on Jingle Bells” which is rather cool.
    Yeah, I dig the jazziness of "Jingle Bells" as well. The backing vocals are a bit "stale" IMO, but it kind of works with the arrangement.

    More recent favs of mine have become "It's Christmastime" and "Go Tell It On the Mountain". The arrangements remind me of classic Diana. My one major criticism of the album is that I would've liked Diana to have incorporated some gospel arrangements on at least a couple songs, rather than some of the heavily orchestrated Tabernacle Choir arrangements. Had she gone full gospel [[something she was quite capable of doing, vocally) with "Go Tell It On the Mountain" in particular, she would've killed it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, I dig the jazziness of "Jingle Bells" as well. The backing vocals are a bit "stale" IMO, but it kind of works with the arrangement.

    More recent favs of mine have become "It's Christmastime" and "Go Tell It On the Mountain". The arrangements remind me of classic Diana. My one major criticism of the album is that I would've liked Diana to have incorporated some gospel arrangements on at least a couple songs, rather than some of the heavily orchestrated Tabernacle Choir arrangements. Had she gone full gospel [[something she was quite capable of doing, vocally) with "Go Tell It On the Mountain" in particular, she would've killed it.
    A smattering of gospel might have worked well as i think the LSO recordings lack a certain something when compared to the the martinelli produced songs.
    Another highlight for me is “What The World Needs Now”, which other then “Amazing Grace”, and “HEIOTS”, is for me one of her strongest vocals on the album. It’s certainly a world away from the rather limp and lifeless version she recorded with the Supremes.
    I really wish she had recorded her own Christmas special, away from the two tenors. Enjoyable as those concerts were.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Excellent idea Ollie. A Diana Christmas special would have been a treat!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Excellent idea Ollie. A Diana Christmas special would have been a treat!
    Her own Christmas special with musical guests. Lionel Ritchie, Smokey Robinson, and Plácido Domingo would have been rather nice.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    31
    Diana Ross Sings Christmas Songs. Every song is a present, gifted with love!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.