we know the truth
    we know the lies

Anyone else Captain?

it would not be complete without The Velvelettes

Thank you

*smile*

Ramone Verona Guest
    Who?
    Isn't that some soft cheese you're talking about, CaptainJ?
    It's delicious!
    Always dollop it on me macaroni!

Berry might be better off either doing a musical with no storyline like Leiber and Stoller's SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE, or a musical like MAMMA MIA which utlized Abba's songs but wasn't their story. Just getting clearances to portray many of the Motown acts might be problematic, as is currently happening with the show BABY IT'S YOU.

that was the original plan I read about prior to Motown 50[[it was in a Vanity Fair article on Motown); "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was going to be a boy mets girl story linked by the classic tunes a la Mama Mia...
    that would be a huge hit,hearing all the tunes performed in a Broadway context, the tourists would flock to it..
    I don't think there's any interest in telling any group or artists' story..probably won't happen anyway

If the original plan was "boy meets girl" story I wonder why he needed Diana and Smokey involved ? Go Figure. If Mr. Gordy wasn't going to link this to the Motown family life and struggle then I don't really see any interest in it at all. In my opinion it sounds kind of boring just thinking about it.
    Last edited by captainjames; 06-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Maybe the boy and girl are Diane Ross and Berry Gordy. Smokey got them together, and was VP.
    This is not directed at you, but I find it so funny how anything "Motown" related, fans of the label think it has to be some historical account, warts and all. People hanging on to the hopes that the "unsung" artist of the label will now get some recognition.

I can hear the music just like it was yesterday, the 60's and the 70's music of Hitsville USA !!!
    I Still hear and relate to Scorpio by Dennis Coffey, Needle in A Haystack with The Velvelettes, The Human Zoo with The Commodores, Deception by The Dynamic Superiors and even "Lets Make Love" by Art and Honey. Hearing them and not being able to put them with the artist is just like seeing some movie on the screen about Vietnam and hearing "War" by Edwin Starr in the background [[ok that's been done already).

Motown music to me is 'not" just the music ~~~its the artist[[s) who made it and if you want to make it a love story that's fine make it a love story. However, it was the 60's for me; Riots, Revolution, Freedom, Hair, Peace, Love, Detroit, Marches, Afro's and a bunch of people just trying to get downtown so they could sing their way across the city.

Reese and Jim are on the right track with this I believe. This is going to have to be a simplified story backed by the songs. But it isn't going to be something that is going to satisfy the hardcore fans. And I can't see them being able to include many of the lesser stars other than by use of a song or part thereof........for example, Mary Wells.

But I still wonder if an 81 year old man really has the drive and stamina and will to see this through. I'm sure with THAT music and some basic love story backed by the segregation line..........they could make this huge.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I can hear the music just like it was yesterday, the 60's and the 70's music of Hitsville USA !!!
    I Still hear and relate to Scorpio by Dennis Coffey, Needle in A Haystack with The Velvelettes, The Human Zoo with The Commodores, Deception by The Dynamic Superiors and even "Lets Make Love" by Art and Honey. Hearing them and not being able to put them with the artist is just like seeing some movie on the screen about Vietnam and hearing "War" by Edwin Starr in the background [[ok that's been done already).

Motown music to me is 'not" just the music ~~~its the artist[[s) who made it and if you want to make it a love story that's fine make it a love story. However, it was the 60's for me; Riots, Revolution, Freedom, Hair, Peace, Love, Detroit, Marches, Afro's and a bunch of people just trying to get downtown so they could sing their way across the city.
    Absolutely James. Totally agree.

The Temptations have been many places during the Motown group's 50-or-so years together. Now Broadway beckons.

Otis Williams, the Tempts' leader and sole surviving founding member, tells Billboard.com that the group is working with Broadway producer Ira Pittleman on a stage musical based on the 1998 NBC mini-series about the group's history. "It's still so popular and loved," Williams says. "I get calls all the time, like, 'Man, the mini-series is on!' and stuff like that. That's the catalyst, and [[Pittleman) is waiting to do the Tempts story. I never would have imagined the possibilities of the Tempts life story going to Broadway, but it's wonderful."

However, Williams says the group plans to wait until Motown founder Berry Gordy, Jr., gets his own Broadway musical, which is reportedly slated to open in April of 2012, on the boards. "Then, after that, the Temptations will get into action. They haven't even started writing the script, so it's really early," says Williams, who will serve as an executive producer.

28 Black Music Milestones: Berry Gordy Starts Motown

Williams says he and the Temptations camp have no involvement in the Gordy Motown musical, however. "That is all under Mr. Gordy's control" Williams notes. "I definitely will be going to see it. I think we're in it two or three different times, guys portraying the Temptations, and I'm very happy for Mr. Gordy because he's had such an illustrious career that should be magnified as much as possible because he's been a wonderful inspiration to the lot of us."

While the Temptations' musical will recall the group's glory years, Williams and company hope to be adding to the story by the time it opens. After rolling out a new album, "Still Here," in 2010, Williams says the group -- which this year celebrations the 50th anniversary of its name change from the Elgins to the Temptations -- is starting to eyeball its successor.

"Yeah, we will be doing another CD in [[2012)," Williams promises. "We'd like for there to be some new music by the time the Broadway musical opens. We'll start putting that together a little later during this year, or the beginning of next year."

all sounds great...
    believe it when I see it...

I agree with you. I'd love to see both of these made.............but if they aren't, I won't be surprised.