Somehow,over the years I never got around to getting a copy of Diana's RCA debut album...heres my thoughts on the tracks & production.

The album opens with "Why Do Fools" a track that I never warmed to nor disliked..its a good choice to open the set,Miss Ross giving a much different vibe than "diana"..disco is dead and Diana is embracing pop, free fom the psychological shackles of Motown this track sets the tone for the album - fun..WDFFIL was a personal favourite of a teenage Diana and keeping the track length under 3 minutes works in its favour.
"Sweet Surrender" i love - its got a vibe of a late night city with Diana playing it seductive and silky..the flow of track is nice,the beat and guitar work is subtle and effective - how have I missed this track all these years ?
"Mirror Mirror" is a mostly forgotten single by the public..ive always liked it Diana telling writer Gerri hershey that the lyrics had an autobiograghical vibe for her relating to the release of "Dream Girls" stage play..One for Diana's many talents is when she really 'sells' a song almost a form of acting and its on display here..i love the breakdown half way thru which starts with a snare drum then drums guitars and vocals slowly cooking up to a crescendo
Next up her solo version of "Endless Love' what was the point ? [[besides trying to catch the casual shopping customer)..the orginal version is immaculate for me this version is nice but it was a chance for Diana to really recreate the track in some way..a chance lost
"Never Too Late" for me,sounds like a Motown track i can envision it on "Thank God Itd Friday" or from that time period..i like it after about three listens,good backing vocals I can see why RCA thought it had chart potential and released it as a single.
"Think Im In Love" I really like,the structure and style of production is the closest to Rodgers/Edwards IMO of her previous studio album..the chorus stayed in my head after listening..its not outstanding but a good track.
"Sweet Nothings" leaves me cold..too repetitive in structure
"Two Can Make it" has a nice vocal Diana sounds warm and at ease with the track..as with the whole album the musicians are doing a good job not encroaching on her vocals whie complimenting genres from pop,rock,a slice of country and a touch of disco which is where we get to..
"Work that body" always loved it a crackling and sizzling performance from Ross,its a time piece from the fame/ONJ physical period and i think it holds up remarkably well..the background singers are right out front on it [[Diana always works harder with big backing on a track - The Boss,He Lives In you etc)
I enjoyed this album - for me its on par with Ross 83, thou not a strong as Swept Away,its shows Diana happy,confident and starting a whole new journey.