As many of the membership may know from my previous posts, I love collecting Motown related memorabilia. Everything from records and ephemera to internal items from behind the scenes and the day to day operations of the Motown empire. I've always stated I'm lucky as I'm not far from Detroit and am in contact with record dealers and others who come upon Motown items. At any rate, it's very rare today when any personal items come up for sale related to a Motown performer.

I must say I jumped at the chance to acquire the hat worn by Cindy on "The Tennessee Ernie Ford Special" in late 1967 during the "Old Songs Medley". The hat had made it's way to Detroit after being purchased at a memorabilia auction in Las Vegas around 1990. The man I bought it from absolutely hated to part with it, but circumstances warranted the sale. The "International Costume Co." tag with CINDY written on it certainly proves the authenticity of the piece.

The very large hats were worn with the sequined, beaded and rhinestoned lacy leotard type dresses with the removable lower skirt section. Mary had recently acquired the one she wore on the show before her death which was found in France. The dresses were also provided for the show by the International Costume Company. I can't help but think Mary would have wanted to acquire the hat if she were still with us. At any rate, my plan is that it will eventually end up at the Motown Museum, along with some of my other memorabilia.

Valued forum member Laurent has still photos of the ladies wearing the hats in the TV show timeline on his wonderful website. They also appear in the concert program from 1968 "An Evening with Diana Ross and the Supremes" as the centerfold photo, so they are pretty well documented!

I just wanted to share my excitement with my fellow Supremes fans!
Darin

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV-...11%20Tennessee

Name:  Hat.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  Hat 1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  Hat 2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  88.8 KB