Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
I'm assuming we're talking about a healthy Tammi because in 1968, she was still ill. Her illness was even mentioned in the liner notes of her and Marvin's YOU'RE ALL I NEED album.

That said, if we're talking about a healthy Tammi, I would still think she wouldn't be a strong contender. By 1968, she had finally started enjoying the fruits of success that she had been pursuing since she began recording in 1961. If she had been well, perhaps Motown would have invested more in her solo recordings although after Mary Wells, there weren't any consistently successful female soloists there until probably Teena Marie. Why would Tammi or Motown want to give that up to become a member of a group? And why would Mary and Cindy want to replace a departing star with another star?
yeah - i'd say let's discuss this assuming a healthy Tammi.

to be honest, there was never going to be another wildly successful female solo star besides Diana Ross. Tammi would have been WAY down the list after Martha and Gladys Knight. Frankly Tammi's solo career would always have been stuck among the ranks of Brenda and Kim. Same with Syreeta. Tammi had her debut album and a few singles which really did nothing.

Marvin was the top solo male artist at Motown and they'd continually tried to pair him with a duet partner. Mary and Kim both left before much could happen with their material. the only other real candidate to sing with Marvin, besides Tammi, would have been Brenda Holloway. By 68 her relationship w/ Motown was in the crapper but what about back in 67? had she already started complaining and rocking the boat? it's understandable but it also pretty much sealed her fate there.

So i think they just sort of figured - ok let's stick Tammi with Marvin and see what happens. rather than some grandiose plan to develop her career. and then it exploded since those duets were just magic