[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Big drop to #27 in the mid week chart in the UK. Hopefully she will hang on to a Top 50 place on Friday. These days so may albums crash into the Top 10 only to all but disappear in week 2! BTW how can you find out what an album sold?
    Soundscan is, I believe, the source measuring units sold, but I think a subscription is needed to access data.

Thanks Peace

Oh no! 'Thank You' has failed to make the new BB Top 200 album chart!

I saw that as well, Copley. Our girl will be so disappointed. Well, it's a wonderful album and the true fans will continue to say 'Thank You' to this wonderful performer the lp! At least Amazon lists it as #149 for their top cd's & lp's and #86 in pop cd's & vinyl.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-16-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Was the #92 position not correct then? Missing out completely on the top 200 can´t be right...?

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Was the #92 position not correct then? Missing out completely on the top 200 can´t be right...?
    Most likely the #92 is from the physical album sales chart - which omits streaming. Typically most albums that rank lower than the top 50 there don't make the streaming inclusive Billboard 200 chart now.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I could not find a chart that listed TY as #92, but the current Billboard 'Top Album Sales Chart' lists the lp as #19 -

https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

Sad but not sad for Diana because many here claimed she did not care if it succeeded or flopped.

Sorry if I sound unduly critical, but Ross chose to do no promotion, had a very very old sketch of herself as the cover, made 3 super cheap videos, chose an album theme that severely marginalized its popularity, decided not to do a single duet that might have widened its appeal, and had songs that musically sounded like a funeral dirge. She also hired her kids rather than top-notch pros.

Diana’s audience has old ears and she has an old voice. She should sing to her base with Motown-like rhythms, themes, and productions. Period. Ethel Merman tried and failed to attract a younger audience with a disco album. Diana tried the feel-good Twitter angle also to no avail.

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Sad but not sad for Diana because many here claimed she did not care if it succeeded or flopped.

Sorry if I sound unduly critical, but Ross chose to do no promotion, had a very very old sketch of herself as the cover, made 3 super cheap videos, chose an album theme that severely marginalized its popularity, decided not to do a single duet that might have widened its appeal, and had songs that musically sounded like a funeral dirge. She also hired her kids rather than top-notch pros.

Diana’s audience has old ears and she has an old voice. She should sing to her base with Motown-like rhythms, themes, and productions. Period. Ethel Merman tried and failed to attract a younger audience with a disco album. Diana tried the feel-good Twitter angle also to no avail.

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. [[???) They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Judging by the fact she was quick to post how thrilled she was that the album had charted so well in the UK, i would say she very much does care.
    A Grammy nod would be the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Some valid points here. Not sure if the theme was a turnoff as there have been plenty of pop albums released over the decades with a Universal Peace and Love and Positivity theme. But then again, even as promoted as such, in general not every song on those albums revolved around that theme! She did do a tweet of her in the shroud robe from the I Still Believe video with this backdrop that had religious overtones. There was a bit of a Messiah complex going on with that promotional tweet that could be a turnoff.

As for duets, I suspect the only ones these days she would duet with would be Rhonda or Evan, or if she must go outside the family, Fred White.

As for Grammys, isn't there a cut off date? I believe end of October. So the album would not qualify. Perhaps the Thank you single or If the World Just Danced could get nominated? I can see the single Thank You considered for a Best Traditional R and B vocal nod if such a category exists.