[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: All is Well

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hasn't it felt evident to you all that Diana Ross does not care about album sales? She's pushed an album before, toured for an album before, promoted an album on every late night show, on every talk show, done specials to coincide with an albums release all before. She's sang every love song you, every love lyric, some heartbreak lyrics, some lyrics where She's down, but she'll get back up, and she ain't been kicked or kicked. She's released three songs giving thanks, how to get the world back to what we were, and now she's telling us everything is going to be OK if we keep looking towards love. She clearly is not worried about storming the charts. This is an album just for us. She hasn't stormed the charts in decades. She's literally given us music since she as in her teens. She'll be 80 in a few years. Let's just enjoy the music. If we don't enjoy it, NEXT! If we're fortunate enough to get a new album, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Hasn't it felt evident to you all that Diana Ross does not care about album sales? She's pushed an album before, toured for an album before, promoted an album on every late night show, on every talk show, done specials to coincide with an albums release all before. She's sang every love song you, every love lyric, some heartbreak lyrics, some lyrics where She's down, but she'll get back up, and she ain't been kicked or kicked. She's released three songs giving thanks, how to get the world back to what we were, and now she's telling us everything is going to be OK if we keep looking towards love. She clearly is not worried about storming the charts. This is an album just for us. She hasn't stormed the charts in decades. She's literally given us music since she as in her teens. She'll be 80 in a few years. Let's just enjoy the music. If we don't enjoy it, NEXT! If we're fortunate enough to get a new album, that is.
    I think you may be looking through rose tinted specs.
    It would be rather hard to believe Diana, not to mention the record company wouldn’t be more than a little chuffed if the album sold reasonably well, making money for them both in the process. I also believe she would be extremely disappointed if it bombed. She is after all an astute business woman. That’s why it’s confusing that such a weak song was chosen as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think you may be looking through rose tinted specs.
    It would be rather hard to believe Diana, not to mention the record company wouldn’t be more than a little chuffed if the album sold reasonably well, making money for them both in the process. I also believe she would be extremely disappointed if it bombed. She is after all an astute business woman. That’s why it’s confusing that such a weak song was chosen as a single.
    That would be a plus if it sold well. She's had more Eaten Alice's than Dianas, as far as record sales are concerned,if we're all honest with ourselves. No record label releasing a Diana Ross album in 2021 is stupid. She recorded the songs from home. I'm sure they'll get the return on their investment within the first 2 weeks of the album dropping.

A 'bravo' from here, to each and every word of your post. True fans are happy to have this album on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A 'bravo' from here, to each and every word of your post. True fans are happy to have this album on the way!
    Erm, did anyone on this thread mention they are not pleased to have a new album....NO.
    True fans my Aunt Fanny.

A couple of weeks ago her social media accounts posted about "If the World Just Danced" hitting #1 on the BBC2 Radio playlist, so she or someone on her team seems to care about such matters.

She may not have the burning fire to be #1 like she did when starting out 60 years ago [[good news for Adele when she has to cross the street). But I suspect she wants the songs she's worked on to find an audience beyond her die hard fans.

Hopefully All is Well is not going to get a big push and was issued to further whet the appetite and get the die hard fans even more in her corner than they already are. Perhaps Time to Call will be the showcase release when the album drops?

Needless to say, the way singles are released and albums are promoted and marketed have changed a lot in the last decade and certainly a whole new world compared to 40, 50 and 60 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago her social media accounts posted about "If the World Just Danced" hitting #1 on the BBC2 Radio playlist, so she or someone on her team seems to care about such matters.
    Precisely. It’s a cute, warm and fuzzy sentiment, but to imagine an artist couldn't give a jot whether or not anyone buys an album they have taken time to record is quite frankly absurd. First and foremost Diana is, and always has been a shrewd businesswoman.

Precisely. It’s a cute, warm and fuzzy sentiment, but to imagine an artist couldn't give a jot whether or not anyone buys an album they have taken time to record is quite frankly absurd. First and foremost Diana is, and always has been a shrewd businesswoman.
    According to you all, she's been doing business incorrectly for the past 30 years.

I'm not saying she does not want the success. I'm saying she has had it time and time again, and stars like she, Miss Streisand and others have worked the circuit enough, and milked an album and it is tiring to them. What's wrong with them just recording and releasing the music? Everyone here is saying this song won't storm the charts, or this should've been a better single, but these professionals don't seem to care, so why should we? I'd rather she did films, anyway, so her chart success does not really matter to me. I think she looks fantastic shooting the video, and I cannot wait for it to come out.

According to you all, she's been doing business incorrectly for the past 30 years.

I'm not saying she does not want the success. I'm saying she has had it time and time again, and stars like she, Miss Streisand and others have worked the circuit enough, and milked an album and it is tiring to them. What's wrong with them just recording and releasing the music? Everyone here is saying this song won't storm the charts, or this should've been a better single, but these professionals don't seem to care, so why should we? I'd rather she did films, anyway, so her chart success does not really matter to me. I think she looks fantastic shooting the video, and I cannot wait for it to come out.
    Doing things incorrectly for 30 years because she wasn’t releasing music purely for the fans without thought of financial gain.
    How do you know Diana doesn’t care if her album sells or subsequent singles do well?. Has she personally told you?. It might well be the utmost thought on her mind. A lot is being presumed here.
    I think it only natural that fans should wish to express their thoughts and opinions on an album and potential singles that we have waited fifteen years for. Why would you not?.
    If that’s not what a person wishes to hear or discuss, they are free to start a thread on something that does interest them and leave the rest of us to debate.

"I think it only natural that fans should wish to express their thoughts and opinions on an album and potential singles that we have waited fifteen years for. Why would you not?.
    If that’s not what a person wishes to hear or discuss, they are free to start a thread on something that does interest them and leave the rest of us to debate."

When did I say people could not do that? I have no problem with people expressing their disdain for the new music. I love the hell out of the song, and I will blast it out of my car speakers the moment I open the disc. That you will not does not matter to me. Not being nasty about it. Just saying nobody else's opinion puts a damper on mine.

Doing things incorrectly for 30 years because she wasn’t releasing music purely for the fans without thought of financial gain.
    How do you know Diana doesn’t care if her album sells or subsequent singles do well?. Has she personally told you?. It might well be the utmost thought on her mind. A lot is being presumed here.
    That is not why you all said she was doing business incorrectly, and you know it. On to the second part of your quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ3YkdaP9HM&t=567s

Mind you, this is from 1989. At timestamp 9:12, if you would like to check hear it for yourself.

Barbara Walters: "Diana, a few years back, before the marriage, there was a feeling that things had kind of....not exactly stopped for you, but slowed down. The albums weren't a big success. You did a special that wasn't as successful as one would have hoped. What happened?

Diana: "I think, normal. I guess life is not really all smooth. It's up and down and all of that. Um, I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway.

Barbara Walters: "What if this album doesn't make it.

Diana: "I'll make another one."

Barbara Walters: "And, what if the tour is not the biggest in your career?"

Diana: "NEXT!"

I did not just pull this out of my nut sack, I can assure you. She says it right there. This was 32 years ago. I have not presumed anything.

From 88, 33 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jqb...&index=6&t=84s

Timestamp 1:23

Diana: "Since I left the Supremes, the records have very done well. Just not good enough. I have to work harder."

So, you mean to tell me 33 years ago this woman knew how hard you had to work to get a #1 single, and the record label sees how difficult it is for Madonna, Cher and Barbra Streisand to get up on the charts, and they release these songs with barely any promotion, and they think it's going to go #1? Go top 10? Go top 30? It has gotten a lot harder to get a hit for the older acts. Abba is the exception. They have not been on the scene all this time. The others I have named have continuously released films and music and they have toured.

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free

"I think it only natural that fans should wish to express their thoughts and opinions on an album and potential singles that we have waited fifteen years for. Why would you not?.
    If that’s not what a person wishes to hear or discuss, they are free to start a thread on something that does interest them and leave the rest of us to debate."

When did I say people could not do that? I have no problem with people expressing their disdain for the new music. I love the hell out of the song, and I will blast it out of my car speakers the moment I open the disc. That you will not does not matter to me. Not being nasty about it. Just saying nobody else's opinion puts a damper on mine.

That is not why you all said she was doing business incorrectly, and you know it. On to the second part of your quote.

Mind you, this is from 1989. At timestamp 9:12, if you would like to check hear it for yourself.

Barbara Walters: "Diana, a few years back, before the marriage, there was a feeling that things had kind of....not exactly stopped for you, but slowed down. The albums weren't a big success. You did a special that wasn't as successful as one would have hoped. What happened?

Diana: "I think, normal. I guess life is not really all smooth. It's up and down and all of that. Um, I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway.

I did not just pull this out of my nut sack, I can assure you. She says it right there. This was 32 years ago. I have not presumed anything.

From 88, 33 years ago

Diana: "Since I left the Supremes, the records have very done well. Just not good enough. I have to work harder."

So, you mean to tell me 33 years ago this woman knew how hard you had to work to get a #1 single, and the record label sees how difficult it is for Madonna, Cher and Barbra Streisand to get up on the charts, and they release these songs with barely any promotion, and they think it's going to go #1? Go top 10? Go top 30? It has gotten a lot harder to get a hit for the older acts. Abba is the exception. They have not been on the scene all this time. The others I have named have continuously released films and music and they have toured.

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free
    Fun to read, and re-experience, those Diana quote-moments. The lady does not publicly point fingers and blame. Once again: the real fans are SOO happy to have a new lp coming!

From 88, 33 years ago

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free
    I have seen this interview a million times but fail to see your point. Diana simply mentions that if an album is not successful she moves on to the next.
    The original point being discussed was does Diana care if her new album does well or not. I personally still believe she does. I don’t think she expects a chart topper, but would i’m sure be thrilled with a modicum of success.
    You seem to think she wouldn’t give it a second thought, which is indeed your prerogative. I guess it comes back to us all having varying opinions.
    It really is as simple as that sweetie. No need to get worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post

She may not have the burning fire to be #1 like she did when starting out 60 years ago [[good news for Adele when she has to cross the street). But I suspect she wants the songs she's worked on to find an audience beyond her die hard fans.
    She barely knows what social media is, and I doubt very seriously she runs the account. She, like the label, is appreciative for the #1, but it's a radio Playlist. Some callers are requesting the song and I'm sure they are happy about that. Mr. Blue said she hated doing music videos, and she seems very old school. Drop the music, and if people like it they'll buy it. If not, NEXT! [[Which is what she told Barbara Walters when Barbara asked her what if her album doesn't sell.) I'm sure they'd be happy for album success, but they've done darn near everything to prohibit that [[pushback[[s), the album coming out MONTHS after the first single, no new images of her, no interviews, etc.) Does not look like it will storm the billboard charts, and if they wanted it to, they know how to make an album a success. The mere fact that they're so lax with everything shows me she just wants the music out for us, and I am 100% ok with that.

I’m in agreement with you on this one. Every artist wants success and acclaim, but this project and the message it clearly conveys seems to be Diana’s intention. I’m excited to hear it…