[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    Soul artists/bands that had a classic streak of album runs?

    Which soul artist/bands do you feel had a brilliant streak of album runs? Here's a few that comes to mind.

    Al Green: Al Green Gets Next To You - Explore Your Mind

    Stevie Wonder: Music Of My Mind - Songs In The Key Of Life

    Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - Young Gifted and Black

    Gil Scott Heron: Pieces Of A Man - Bridges

    Sly and The Family Stone: Dance To The Music - Fresh

    What about you? I know there's many more but those were the names who came to mind...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Prince - For You [1978] through The Love Symbol Album [O[+>] [1992]. Arguably the longest great run of all.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Prince - For You [1978] through The Love Symbol Album [O[+>] [1992]. Arguably the longest great run of all.
    Is the Love Symbol album considered a "classic" though? I only ask is because Princes music after Lovesexy was... Pretty bad lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Is the Love Symbol album considered a "classic" though? I only ask is because Princes music after Lovesexy was... Pretty bad lol
    According to Wiki, it was voted 14th best album of 1992, for whatever that's worth. And it still holds up to these ears today; the Purple One took a stab at a funk/soul/rock opera and slayed it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    I'll add:

    Roberta Flack, First Take through Blue Lights in the Basement
    The Dells There Is through Freedom Means
    Bobby Womack Communication through Safety Zone
    Esther Phillips From A Whisper ... through Capricorn Princess, and
    Labelle, Labelle through Chameleon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,659
    Rep Power
    176
    Marvin Gaye-What's Going On thru I Want You
    Funkadelic-Funkadelic thru One Nation Under A Groove
    The Isley Brothers-3+3 thru Go For Your Guns
    War-All Day Music thru Why Can't We Be Friends
    Curtis Mayfield-Curtis thru Superfly [Soundtrack]
    Isaac Hayes-Hot Buttered Soul thru Black Moses
    Parliament-Mothership Connection thru Motor Booty Affair
    Earth, Wind & Fire-Last Day And Time thru Raise!
    Michael Jackson-Off The Wall thru Dangerous




    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-13-2021 at 11:13 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Marvin Gaye-What's Going On thru I Want You
    Funkadelic-Funkadelic thru One Nation Under A Groove
    The Isley Brothers-3+3 thru Go For Your Guns
    War-All Day Music thru Why Can't We Be Friends
    Curtis Mayfield-Curtis thru Superfly [Soundtrack]
    Isaac Hayes-Hot Buttered Soul thru Black Moses
    Parliament-Mothership Connection thru Motor Booty Affair
    Earth, Wind & Fire-Last Day And Time thru[I] Raise!
    [/I]Michael Jackson-Off The Wall thru Dangerous




    Is such a shame what happened to Michael Jackson after 1991, he was just incredible during his adult career period from Off The Wall - Dangerous.

    Incredibly talented, troubled soul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    The Stylistics debut album, Round 2 and Rockin' Roll Baby

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Natalie Cole - Inseparable through Natalie...Live!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,659
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Is such a shame what happened to Michael Jackson after 1991, he was just incredible during his adult career period from Off The Wall - Dangerous.

    Incredibly talented, troubled soul
    Yes indeed, Michael had so many problems after 1991 [among them child molestation charges, various health & financial problems]. IMHO his last great song was "You Are Not Alone" [from the HIStory set].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-13-2021 at 05:00 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes indeed, Michael had so many problems after 1991 [among them child molestation charges, various health & financial problems]. IMHO his last great song was "You Are Not Alone" [from the HIStory set].
    To me his last good song was Break Of Dawn [[from his messy Invincible album, then again I suppose you could say both HIStory and Invincible are both trainwrecks) lol.

    Check the song out if you haven't heard it before

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Rufus: Rags to Rufus through Street Player
    Chaka Khan: Chaka through I Feel for You
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-13-2021 at 09:12 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    This thread is a great idea, and I don't have a single argument against any of the responses. We've been lucky to have experienced multiple great series' of great lps from multiple great performers.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This thread is a great idea, and I don't have a single argument against any of the responses. We've been lucky to have experienced multiple great series' of great lps from multiple great performers.
    It was such a common thing back in the 60s and 70s, classic streak of album runs, sales barely mattered, it hasn't been like this since Prince and Michael Jackson... Who in my opinion were the last artists to have that great run of albums.

    Michael Jackson: Off The Wall - Bad or Dangerous [[depending on who you talk to) and Prince: Dirty Mind - LoveSexy

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    129
    Millie Jackson - ALL of her Spring albums.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Flo View Post
    The Stylistics debut album, Round 2 and Rockin' Roll Baby
    Agreed whole-heartedly. The Stylistics are most remembered as a singles band but they did indeed issue [[at least) these 3 great & cohesive lps in a row.

  17. #17
    Sade I feel is another one, Diamond Life - Lovers Rock

    Donna Summer [[I know she's not really considered a Soul artist) but I think her classic album run makes it right?

    Love To Love You Baby through Bad Girls [[Casablanca years)

    Luther Vandross: Never Too Much through Any Love
    Last edited by MichaelSherry59; 10-14-2021 at 10:01 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Sade I feel is another one, Diamond Life - Stronger Than Pride during their peak in the 80s.

    Donna Summer [[I know she's not really considered a Soul artist) but I think her classic album run makes it right?

    Love To Love You Baby through Bad Girls [[Casablanca years)

    Luther Vandross: Never Too Much through Any Love
    I struggled with posting Sade because they're beyond category. I would definitely include Love Deluxe as part of their run. And amen to Donna and Luther.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I struggled with posting Sade because they're beyond category. I would definitely include Love Deluxe as part of their run. And amen to Donna and Luther.
    I actually forgot about Love Deluxe and even Lovers Rock lol. Let me edit my post. Sade doesn't really have a bad album [[well except their last album in 2010).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,659
    Rep Power
    176
    I'd like to add:
    Ohio Players-Pain thru Honey
    The Spinners-Spinners thru Pick Of The Litter
    The O'Jays-Backstabbers thru So Full Of Love
    The Temptations-The Temptaions Sing Smokey thru Wish It Would Rain

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    I actually forgot about Love Deluxe and even Lovers Rock lol. Let me edit my post. Sade doesn't really have a bad album [[well except their last album in 2010).
    I second that. Whoo, Soldier of Love was a turkey [with the exception of the title track, IMHO].

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    O. M. G. HOW could I have forgotten my beloved Ashford & Simpson?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    129
    Every one of Barry White's and Love Unlimited's albums including those on Twentieth Century AND Unlimited Gold labels.

  24. #24
    Diana Ross is another one: Diana Ross through Diana

    Teddy Pendergrass: Teddy Pendergrass through TP

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    129
    Almost forgot one of my very favorites -- the late, great VAN McCOY-- ALL albums from Buddah through Avco through MCA labels.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    May I also add the Three Degrees, with Maybe, The Three Degrees and International?

  27. #27
    Gladys Knight and The Pips: Everybody Needs Love, Feelin Blusy, If You Were My Woman, All I Need Is Time, Neither One Of Us and Imagination.
    Last edited by MichaelSherry59; 10-27-2021 at 05:20 PM.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,617
    Rep Power
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Gladys Knight and The Pips: Everybody Needs Love, Feelin Blusy, If You Were My Woman, All I Need Is Time, Neither One Of Us and Imagination.
    You beat me to the punch.

    Although I would begin with their self-titled Maxx album from 1964 up through CLAUDINE in 1974.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,617
    Rep Power
    233
    Ashford and Simpson's GIMME SOMETHING REAL up through STREET CORNER [although I'm not too fond of STAY FREE].
    Last edited by reese; 10-28-2021 at 10:13 AM.

  30. #30
    What album do all consider Sam Cooke's first "classic" album?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,659
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    What album do all consider Sam Cooke's first "classic" album?
    Night Beat from 1963 is usually cited as the first classic album by Sam Cooke. That album was marked by a 'late night' Jazz & Blues feel. Another great LP by him is the follow-up, Ain't That Good News. Featuring his anthem "A Change Is Gonna Come" along with the hits "Another Saturday Night", "Good Times" & the title track, this was the last studio album that Sam released in his lifetime.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-29-2021 at 11:48 AM.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,659
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    To me his last good song was Break Of Dawn [[from his messy Invincible album, then again I suppose you could say both HIStory and Invincible are both trainwrecks) lol.

    Check the song out if you haven't heard it before
    I just listened to "Break Of Dawn" on YouTube. Decent song but too repetitive for me [and no match for songs like "I Can't Help It" or "The Lady In My Life"]. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,902
    Rep Power
    212
    Birth Day
    It's Been A Long Time
    Coming From All Ends
    Blind Baby
    New Birth put in some work before breaking up as all of the soul ensembles eventually did...Even still they had some nice tracks before and after this healthy run...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,039
    Rep Power
    129
    I always looked forward to Linda Clifford's album releases:

    "Linda" [[Curtom - 1977)
    "If My Friends Could See Me Now" [[Curtom - 1978)
    "Let Me Be Your Woman" [[2-Disc) [[Curtom - 1979)
    - - - Included HOT 12" version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water")
    "Here's My Love" [[1979 - Curtom)
    "The Right Combination" [[w/Curtis Mayfield - Curtom - 1980)
    "I'm Yours" [[Curtom - 1980)
    "I'll Keep On Loving You" [[Capitol- 1982)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-30-2021 at 01:02 PM.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You beat me to the punch.

    Although I would begin with their self-titled Maxx album from 1964 up through CLAUDINE in 1974.
    Good call! A brilliant soundtrack album, perfect timing to end at your peak... Because Gladys Knight hasn't had a hit since 1974 lol, On & On being their last hit

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31,233
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Good call! A brilliant soundtrack album, perfect timing to end at your peak... Because Gladys Knight hasn't had a hit since 1974 lol, On & On being their last hit
    Ahem--"Love Overboard"? It even won them a Grammy.
    Last edited by sansradio; 11-05-2021 at 09:27 PM.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ahem--"Love Overboard"? It even won them a Grammy.
    "On and On" was their last hit according to Wikipedia in the US Pop charts, peaked at #5, after 1974 they were not having hits

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys...ps_discography

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    156
    Hi!

    After On and On, I counted 40 charted records up to 1995 for Gladys Knight & the Pips, and among those there were number one and platinum singles.

    Best regards
    Heikki

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

    After On and On, I counted 40 charted records up to 1995 for Gladys Knight & the Pips, and among those there were number one and platinum singles.

    Best regards
    Heikki
    They weren't even together in the 90s, what the hell???

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,617
    Rep Power
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    "On and On" was their last hit according to Wikipedia in the US Pop charts, peaked at #5, after 1974 they were not having hits

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys...ps_discography
    After ON AND ON, they had further pop hits on the Buddah label with I FEEL A SONG and THE WAY WE WERE/TRY TO REMEMBER. After that, the pop hits were few but they continued to have hits on the soul chart with hits like LANDLORD and SAVE THE OVERTIME.

    The last pop hit was LOVE OVERBOARD on MCA in 1987. Their final hit before breaking up was LOVIN' ON NEXT TO NOTHIN' which was top 10 soul hit but didn't cross over.
    Last edited by reese; 11-06-2021 at 09:12 AM.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After ON AND ON, they had further pop hits on the Buddah label with I FEEL A SONG and THE WAY WE WERE/TRY TO REMEMBER. After that, the pop hits were few but they continued to have hits on the soul chart with hits like LANDLORD and SAVE THE OVERTIME.

    The last pop hit was LOVE OVERBOARD on MCA in 1987. Their final hit before breaking up was LOVIN' ON NEXT TO NOTHIN' which was top 10 soul hit but didn't cross over.
    I Feel A Song and The Way We Were/Try To Remember weren't hits on the pop charts though, one peaked at #21 and the other one #11. After 1974's On and On, that was it for them in the pop charts at least.

    Now in the rhythm and blues charts, yeah, you're right. They were having a boat loads of hits in that department, until the early 80s if I'm not mistaken.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    156
    Thank you for the polite answer, Michael.
    You're right that in the 90s they weren't together anymore.
    I counted all the charted records by Gladys Knight & the Pips up to 1988, and by Gladys Knight after that.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,922
    Rep Power
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Thank you for the polite answer, Michael.
    You're right that in the 90s they weren't together anymore.
    I counted all the charted records by Gladys Knight & the Pips up to 1988, and by Gladys Knight after that.
    I'm a particular fan of the full lps of GK&tP, Heikki - always great to hear this wonderful group's lp catalogue referenced. I'm reminded to play the expanded edition of Life! Best to you -

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.