[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127

    Greatest Cover Songs

    So if you had to compile the tracklist for a Supremes collection featuring their very best cover songs, what would your list look like? I'm going to stick to 12, but you can make your own rules on the number of songs. Let's be honest, you were going to go beyond 12 whether I said stick to 12 or not.

    1) Shake Me, Wake Me
    2) Aint That Good News
    3) It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye
    4) Funny How Time Slips Away
    5) You Can Depend On Me
    6) Our Day Will Come
    7) You're Gonna Hear From Me
    8) Without the One You Love
    9) Stubborn Kind of Fellow
    10) Falling In Love With Love
    11) Wonderful, Wonderful
    12) Because

    I wanted to dip into some of the standards, but that's too easy. I also wanted to add "Someday We'll Be Together", but since it was a legit hit for the group, I nixed it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    161
    This old heart of mine
    River deep mountain high
    Mister sandman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Supremes:

    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Stormy
    House of the Rising Sun
    Ain't that Good news
    My Favorite Things
    Lover's Concerto
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    5:30 Plane
    I Keep It Hid
    Silent voices
    Don't Let my teardrops bother you
    You are the Heart of Me

    Diana Ross solo:

    Dark Side of the Word
    Come in from the Rain
    Blame it on the Sun
    Battlefield
    Little Girl Blue
    But Beautiful
    God Bless the Child
    Summertime
    Same Love that Made Me Laugh
    He Lives in You
    What About Love
    Forever Young

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,507
    Rep Power
    217
    1) Do You Love Me
    2) Lazy Bones
    3) Good News
    4) My Favorite Things
    5) Shake Me, Wake Me
    6) Baby I Need Your Loving
    7) I'll Turn to Stone
    8) My Funny Valentine
    9) The Music That Makes Me Dance
    10)You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'
    11) A Place in the Sun
    12) The Beginning of the End

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,936
    Rep Power
    198
    for my list i'm going to skip the concept albums since the vast majority of the tracks are covers and that's sort of the whole point. but for "regular'' album tracks:

    someday we'll be together
    I'm gonna make you love me
    this old heart of mine
    river deep
    whisper you love me
    love makes me do foolish things
    Bridge over troubled water
    5:30 plane
    Once in the morning

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    This old heart of mine
    River deep mountain high
    Mister sandman
    Oh, I forgot about "This Old Heart Of Mine" for some idiotic reason! I would've put it on my list.

    Never been much of a fan of "River", but it is a very well done song.

    Love their version of "Mr. Sandman". Unfortunately it sounds like a demo and I imagine a finished, more polished, product would've been even better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Supremes:

    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Stormy
    House of the Rising Sun
    Ain't that Good news
    My Favorite Things
    Lover's Concerto
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    5:30 Plane
    I Keep It Hid
    Silent voices
    Don't Let my teardrops bother you
    You are the Heart of Me

    Diana Ross solo:

    Dark Side of the Word
    Come in from the Rain
    Blame it on the Sun
    Battlefield
    Little Girl Blue
    But Beautiful
    God Bless the Child
    Summertime
    Same Love that Made Me Laugh
    He Lives in You
    What About Love
    Forever Young
    How the hell did I forget "Teardrops"? What the hell is wrong with me today? Definitely a great one.

    Who did "5:30 Plane" before the Supremes?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    1) Do You Love Me
    2) Lazy Bones
    3) Good News
    4) My Favorite Things
    5) Shake Me, Wake Me
    6) Baby I Need Your Loving
    7) I'll Turn to Stone
    8) My Funny Valentine
    9) The Music That Makes Me Dance
    10)You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'
    11) A Place in the Sun
    12) The Beginning of the End
    Wow Reese, I really don't care for their version of "Do You Love Me". It's aight, but I think thus far it's the most surprising inclusion I've seen in the thread.

    Good addition with "Lazy Bones". I love the harmonies on that one.

    I forgot "Baby I Need Your Loving"???? I'm putting myself on punishment. No more creating threads for awhile. I can't even answer my own damn question accurately.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    for my list i'm going to skip the concept albums since the vast majority of the tracks are covers and that's sort of the whole point. but for "regular'' album tracks:

    someday we'll be together
    I'm gonna make you love me
    this old heart of mine
    river deep
    whisper you love me
    love makes me do foolish things
    Bridge over troubled water
    5:30 plane
    Once in the morning
    Ah yes, "Whisper". One of my all time favorites. And another that escaped my list. I suck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    118
    "This Old Heart of Mine" would also be the first Supremes "cover" song I would name, not only because it sounds just like a song of their own [[which is not surprising, as it was initially intended for them), but also because it has such different vibe than the Isley Brothers version [[which I love too). I also love Tammi Terrell's version, which is a bit more energetic than both the earlier versions. Interestingly, the first version of the song I ever heard was by Rod Stewart [[the 1975 ballad version, not the 1989 upbeat duet with Ronald Isley), and it took me a while to realize that it was a cover of a Motown song.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    How the hell did I forget "Teardrops"? What the hell is wrong with me today? Definitely a great one.

    Who did "5:30 Plane" before the Supremes?
    A group called Picardy in 1968.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    30
    Here are my three Diana Ross & The Supremes’ “12-or-so greatest covers” lists for pop covers, standards covers and concert covers, integrated into a single more-or-less chronological single list.

    You Can Depend On Me – Lost & Found
    Funny How Time Slips Away Country, Western & Pop
    Tears In Vain – Country, Western & Pop
    The House Of The Rising Sun [fantasy version, with Florence & Mary edited out, except for the concluding hum-along]A Bit Of Liverpool
    You Can’t Do That – A Bit Of Liverpool
    Eight Days A Week – Shindig
    Whisper You Love Me Boy – More Hits
    He Holds His Own – More Hits
    Bring It On Home To Me – We Remember Sam Cooke
    White Christmas – Merry Christmas
    Make Someone Happy – At The Copa
    Stranger In Paradise [mono version, without the distracting, intrusive background squawks on the stereo version] – I Hear A Symphony
    Unchained MelodyI Hear A Symphony
    Baby, I Need Your LovingA’ Go-Go
    This Old Heart Of MineA’ Go-Go
    My Funny ValentineRodgers & Hart
    My Heart Stood StillRodgers & Hart
    Some Day My Prince Will ComeDisney Classics
    A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart MakesDisney Classics
    When You Wish Upon A StarDisney Classics
    It Won’t Be Long Until ChristmasDisney Classics
    Bah-Bah-BahReflections
    Ode To Billie Joe - Reflections
    I’m Losing You [extraction from the Primes/Primettes medley] – The Ed Sullivan Show
    Try It BabyJoin The Temptations
    Funky BroadwayJoin The Temptations
    RespectTCB
    Thoroughly Modern Millie/Second-Hand Rose/Mame medleyTalk Of The Town
    The Music That Makes Me DanceFunny Girl
    Fats Waller medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Leading Lady medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Irving Berlin medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Always [with the unfortunate, terribly dated “Here comes the judge” bit edited out] – The Ed Sullivan Show
    This TimeFarewell
    Big Spender - Farewell

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,507
    Rep Power
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Wow Reese, I really don't care for their version of "Do You Love Me". It's aight, but I think thus far it's the most surprising inclusion I've seen in the thread.

    Good addition with "Lazy Bones". I love the harmonies on that one.

    I forgot "Baby I Need Your Loving"???? I'm putting myself on punishment. No more creating threads for awhile. I can't even answer my own damn question accurately.
    Join the club :-) I'm looking at my own list and I totally left out cover faves of mine like STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW and WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Here are my three Diana Ross & The Supremes’ “12-or-so greatest covers” lists for pop covers, standards covers and concert covers, integrated into a single more-or-less chronological single list.

    You Can Depend On Me Lost & Found
    Funny How Time Slips Away Country, Western & Pop
    Tears In Vain – Country, Western & Pop
    The House Of The Rising Sun [fantasy version, with Florence & Mary edited out, except for the concluding hum-along]A Bit Of Liverpool
    You Can’t Do ThatA Bit Of Liverpool
    Eight Days A Week – Shindig
    Whisper You Love Me Boy More HitsHe Holds His Own More Hits
    Bring It On Home To MeWe Remember Sam Cooke
    White ChristmasMerry Christmas
    Make Someone Happy – At The Copa
    Stranger In Paradise [mono version, without the distracting, intrusive background squawks on the stereo version] – I Hear A Symphony
    Unchained MelodyI Hear A Symphony
    Baby, I Need Your LovingA’ Go-Go
    This Old Heart Of MineA’ Go-Go
    My Funny Valentine Rodgers & Hart
    My Heart Stood Still
    Rodgers & Hart
    Some Day My Prince Will ComeDisney Classics
    A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart MakesDisney Classics
    When You Wish Upon A StarDisney Classics
    It Won’t Be Long Until ChristmasDisney Classics
    Bah-Bah-BahReflections
    Ode To Billie Joe - Reflections
    I’m Losing You [extraction from the Primes/Primettes medley] – The Ed Sullivan Show
    Try It BabyJoin The Temptations
    Funky BroadwayJoin The Temptations
    RespectTCB
    Thoroughly Modern Millie/Second-Hand Rose/Mame medleyTalk Of The Town
    The Music That Makes Me DanceFunny Girl
    Fats Waller medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Leading Lady medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Irving Berlin medleyThe Ed Sullivan Show
    Always [with the unfortunate, terribly dated “Here comes the judge” bit edited out] – The Ed Sullivan Show
    This TimeFarewell
    Big Spender - Farewell
    Comprehensive list! I'm lazy and highlighted/boldened my own favorites. I'd add:
    After All
    Lazy Bones
    [[Ain't That) Good News
    Sincerely
    Around The World In 80 Days
    My Favorite Things
    With A Song In My Heart [[from I Hear A Symphony)
    Without A Song
    Shake Me, Wake Me
    [[I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [[this is also a favorite Diana lower register vocal)
    My Romance
    There's A Small Hotel
    Then

    More Hits was my first Supremes album and I didn't know Whisper You Love Me Boy and He Holds His Own were remakes. Same with Bah-Bah-Bah. For me, they will always be Supremes songs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    921
    Rep Power
    144
    1. A Hard Day's Night
    2. Shake Me, Wake Me
    3. Makes No Difference Now
    4. You Can't Do That
    5. Bring It On Home
    6. Falling In Love With Love
    7. Baby I Need Your Loving
    8. This Old Heart Of Mine
    9. Ain't That Good News
    10. Let the Music Play
    11. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
    12. People

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    30,505
    Rep Power
    415
    I'm surprised that no one's mentioned "Does Your Mama Know About Me." Diana shines on it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    556
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Here are my three Diana Ross & The Supremes’ “12-or-so greatest covers” lists for pop covers, standards covers and concert covers, integrated into a single more-or-less chronological single list.


    This TimeFarewell
    Big Spender - Farewell
    This Time I assume you mean Didn't We

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    51
    Favorite songs covered by Diana Ross [[in approximate chronological order):

    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    You're All I Need To Get By
    Dark Side Of The World
    Reach Out, I'll Be There
    Good Morning Heartache
    Little Girl Blue
    Imagine
    Brown Baby/Save The Children
    You Are Everything [[with Marvin Gaye)
    Do You Know Where You're Going To
    Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe
    Smile
    Come In From The Rain
    The Same Love That Made Me Laugh
    You Do It
    Cross My Heart
    He Lives In You
    But Beautiful
    Solitude
    Always & Forever

    I would have included Summertime but I was astounded to learn that Summertime was an original, first recorded by her and possibly even meant for her Red Hot Rhythm & Blues album! It was subsequently performed and recorded by Sharon Robinson, the co-writer of the song with Leonard Cohen, and Roberta Flack.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    118
    I didn't know that Cross My Heart was a cover. By who is the original? It's another Sharon Robinson written song and on her website she only lists Diana Ross as its performer.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I didn't know that Cross My Heart was a cover. By who is the original? It's another Sharon Robinson written song and on her website she only lists Diana Ross as its performer.
    You are right, Jaap. My mistake. I think I meant to list Heart Don't Change My Mind, which Barbra Streisand had recorded earlier. I like both songs, but the edge goes to Cross My Heart for Diana's vocal and the atmospheric production.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    134
    Supremes wise - the entire Rodgers & Hart album is the standout for me. Mary and Flo also in superb form.
    Solo wise - just about every cover Diana has ever recorded is rather wonderful. From Billie Holiday to Stevie Wonder and beyond. She manages to make the songs her own which not many artists achieve when attempting covers.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-26-2021 at 05:30 AM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    A group called Picardy in 1968.
    Thanks. I like the intro but then they start to sing. Not my cup of tea. Got 56 seconds in and decided to abandon ship. Was this a hit?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Some great selections! Y'all really put your thinking caps on because my list feels crappy after seeing all the stuff I would've put on it had I thought about it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'm surprised that no one's mentioned "Does Your Mama Know About Me." Diana shines on it.
    She really does Sans.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Join the club :-) I'm looking at my own list and I totally left out cover faves of mine like STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW and WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED.
    Its interesting you include “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted” reece. I’ve always
    considered DRATS version rather tepid when compared to Jimmy Ruffin.
    Motowns instincts were spot on in this instance.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,310
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Its interesting you include “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted” reece. I’ve always
    considered DRATS version rather tepid when compared to Jimmy Ruffin.
    Motowns instincts were spot on in this instance.
    I love their version of "Brokenhearted". It was recorded after Jimmy's was released so I don't think it was ever intended for anything other than an album track. The unfortunate thing is that, like a lot of the Supremes' covers of Motown hits, the track itself lacks the "oomph" of the hit version. Jimmy's version is the Motown Sound among it's best. The Supremes' track does sound like a knock off, even though it was recorded at Hitsville. Still, I think Diana's reading of the lyric, and the beautiful harmony of she and Mary in the background, makes a wonderful cover.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,594
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love their version of "Brokenhearted". It was recorded after Jimmy's was released so I don't think it was ever intended for anything other than an album track. The unfortunate thing is that, like a lot of the Supremes' covers of Motown hits, the track itself lacks the "oomph" of the hit version. Jimmy's version is the Motown Sound among it's best. The Supremes' track does sound like a knock off, even though it was recorded at Hitsville. Still, I think Diana's reading of the lyric, and the beautiful harmony of she and Mary in the background, makes a wonderful cover.
    I agree in that it lacks any kind of oomph. Diana Just vocally meanders through the song, conveying little emotion in particular. She almost sounds bored.
    The Jimmy’ Ruffin version contains the missing oomph and is a justified classic. The Supremes, just a lukewarm album track......Alas.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.