[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have never blamed Diana for not being at the graveside. I think her attending the service was more then enough.
    Her actions inside the church though were extremely ill advised. She probably called upon Mary for moral support, problem being Mary had not been informed and was rightly outraged. It is possible it was a spur of the moment decision, but still makes for appalling etiquette. Shades of Motown 25.
    I wonder what would have happened had it been Mary who had asked Diana to join her in a private prayer. Would the media have reacted the way they did?. Would Diana have played the diva and refused?.
    Did the media react badly to Diana's action? I don't recall reading any specifics about the service at the time. If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't until Mary wrote about the funeral in her first book that most of us even knew what happened that day. I suspect if it had been Mary who had done this instead, Diana would have just gotten up, joined Mary, and we never would have known about it being unplanned.

As I've often said, when it comes to Diana, often she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. I once told a friend that Diana could stand in the middle of Times Square and hand out $50 bills and someone would complain that they weren't $100s.
    Last edited by reese; 09-24-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Diana wrote that she received bad press for it.

And yes as someone else wrote, Mary and Diana had a weird relationship after the Supremes ended. While I think they both loved each other, I think their relationship was damaged from the tension the last few years they sang together and it just never recovered. Had they just sat down and hashed things out like normal people do, I'm sure it would have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Diana wrote that she received bad press for it.

And yes as someone else wrote, Mary and Diana had a weird relationship after the Supremes ended. While I think they both loved each other, I think their relationship was damaged from the tension the last few years they sang together and it just never recovered. Had they just sat down and hashed things out like normal people do, I'm sure it would have been a different story.
    Now that you refreshed my memory, I do remember Diana writing that she got bad press for it. But at the time [1976], I don't recall reading or hearing anything about what she might have done.