[REMOVE ADS]

An American Sucuess Story

I know this has absolutely no bearing on the price of tea in China, but I wanted to let you know of a little high school in our area that placed 2nd. in President Obama's "Race To The Top Commencement Challenge".

Bridgport High School is a school in North Central Washington with a 90% Hispanic enrollment, mostly first or second generation Hispanic, whose parents work in the orchards and packing sheds that supply the country with fresh apples, peaches and cherries. The area is dirt poor. BUT 80% of the graduating class of about 40, is college bound, and of the other 20%, most of those are advanceing to trade or technical schools.

To be chosen as one of the top 6 High Schools in the country was a heck of an honor, to make the top 3 an overwheming one.

You'll probably hear a lot about Booker T. Washington High School in Memphis getting the President as their commencement speaker. They won the challenge, and congratulations to them. But I thought I'd let you know who came in second. Kudos to the staff, students and parents of Bridgeport High School, Bridgeport, WA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5ZcPBK9wg

Doug this is great!

Hi Doug,
    Very nice. What caught my attention in the video was the parental support.

smark21 Guest
    Last year, Kalamazoo Central High School in Michigan won the award and President Obama spoke at their commencement. I was visiting Kalamazoo when the news was announced and the people there were very proud.

As I understand it, the second [[Bridgeport) and third [[High Tech High International, San Diego) will get a member of the President's cabinet as a commencement speaker. In Bridgeport's case, Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire as a speaker. Congratulations to all three schools that made the final cut.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...nt-may-not-be/