[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ABBA's popularity is a total mystery to me [didn't care 40 years ago; don't care now ...) but for whatever reason they have a huge, fanatical fanbase that has only grown exponentially since their breakup. Hence, a HUGE promo machine backing them, and a 40-year gap in recording. I've read that the 2 songs released were insta-bombs but I haven't followed up on that 'research'. It will be interesting to see how much 'interest' extends to lp sales when the album arrives, and if the hologram concert is successful. For, again, whatever reason, ABBA has become an 'experience' more than an actual band, so time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've read that the 2 songs released were insta-bombs but I haven't followed up on that 'research'. It will be interesting to see how much 'interest' extends to lp sales when the album arrives, and if the hologram concert is successful. For, again, whatever reason, ABBA has become an 'experience' more than an actual band, so time will tell.
    I am a big ABBA fan and will have to respectfully disagree. First, to be fair, the new songs were released five days ago, so their impact on the charts are not fully known as of yet. Mid-week charts are supposedly making things look promising. The new singles have been in the top 10 on iTunes in most countries for days. On YouTube, each song is currently at #4 and #6 in Trending Music. Furthermore, Universal UK announced that they received 80,000 pre-orders for their forthcoming album in the last five days. I believe this is solely for physical units. I think 80,000 units in the UK means that they have already earned a silver or gold certification, just in the past five days.

ABBA was and has always been an international phenomenon, much like the Beatles. Their compilation ABBA Gold has been one of the top selling and longest charting compilations in music history. It's this compilation that brought them back into popularity in the 90s, and then the Mamma Mia stage show and movies, starting in 1999 and into the 2000's. In my opinion, ABBA pioneered a sound that influenced so many genres and artists in the years that followed their breakup, much like Motown did and does. Love them or hate them, they are an institution. Just like Motown, ABBA also have their own museum in Sweden. People have been awaiting this reunion for decades and for a long time, their musical reunion never seemed possible.

To compare ABBA to Diana's career trajectory/success, in my opinion, is like comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by carlo; 09-07-2021 at 05:06 PM.