[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember reading the press release in 1962, for the start-up of Golden World and Ric-Tic Records in one of the music industry trade papers, saying that Ed Wingate and JoAnn Bratton were forming Golden World Record Co. and its subsidiary, Ric-Tic Records[[named after her son, Ricky) in Detroit, and planned to build a new, full-service recording studio. But, if I remember correctly, they didn't start building the studio until 1964. During 1962 and 1963, they did most of their recording in New York, and their producers and songwriters worked mostly from there, and their singers came from all over [[Cleveland, Texas, Canada, New York). They didn't start seriously, until early 1964, when they built the studio, and moved their main operations back to Detroit, and started hiring all Detroit people, most of whom had worked for Motown, previously.

I read LOTS and LOTS of press releases for most of the new records they released, or The Golden World Revue, [[various of their artists appearing in company shows at specific venues for a week or weekend [[Fri-Sat-Sun)), all through late 1964, and especially, 1965, and '66, and a few in '67. I also read many of their press releases about signing new artists, or management-level production staff, in the record business trades [[mainly "Billboard" and "Cash Box, but also "The Hollywood Reporter" and "Variety". They also had one for each of their 2 LP releases. I remember reading an article in 1964 bout them signing Freddie Gorman, and one about Popcorn Wylie, and one about Bob Hamilton [[They didn't call him "Rob Reeco" in that blurb.), and one for Al Kent, too. I don't remember if they called him Al Hamilton or Al Kent in that one. I remember one for Edwin Starr, saying he was a great new talent from Cleveland.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-01-2021 at 12:27 AM.