[REMOVE ADS]

Complete UK Tamla Motown singles and more

Check this out [[mortgage required)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAMLA-MOTOWN-C...item43a6f2deac

I find it interesting [[and a little hard to credit) that s/he has uniformly described the condition of the best part of 1,000 singles as "EX" - no Mints, no VGs? I have a complete set from the Londons up to TMG 900 [[excepting the demos and and handful of 800s which I never got round to finding), and they are in a variety of conditions ranging down to a few Gs. Also, s/he sounds very ambivalent about letting them go.

Out of interest, what do other UK board members/collectors have in the way of a singles collection?

i'm not sure 40 grand is a good price to buy at [[40 thousand pounds say it slowly! alot of money).yes there are some very rare discs in there but the average price is 40 quid a peice if there is a thousand there.

i just did a quick reckon up on the 1st 20 uk miracles singles,including 2 london,1 fontana [[ 200 quid),2 oriole and 5 statesides its about £800 just for those in mint condition.
    all the early stuff from the rest of the roster will be worth about the same too,i suppose it must add up but 40k seems a hell of a lot.
    the EPs too

i mean a big lump of the collection are going to be alot less.
    and the late numbers tmg900/1000/1100/1200/1300 arent going to be worth much are they? thats 500 singles for about 8/10 pounds each mint.unless someone can tell me different.
    heres a cracker........ tmg1390 alfie..... star and there will be a few more like that.i'd love to see this lot in one place tho'.what a sight!

in answer to your question i have only about 250 motown,tamla,wingate,rictic,gordy,tamla motown etc.etc. singles
    Last edited by tamla617; 05-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.

I'm a similar "anorak" as far as British Tamla Motown is concerned although I stopped a little earlier. I even talk about songs by their TMG numbers! I could even recite [[not so well these days) every single, EP and LP by catalogue number. But when you complete your collection and there's nothing more to collect, there's no more fun. Plus, it takes loads of storage.

But there are many guys like me in the UK!

Just to prove what a nut I am. All my computer passwords are Motown catalogue numbers which is why I am hesitant to disclose what my favourites records are!!

My password is just seven numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Just to prove what a nut I am. All my computer passwords are Motown catalogue numbers which is why I am hesitant to disclose what my favourites records are!!
    You were really saying something there .. usually working out passwords is like finding a needle in a haystack .. maybe you are the exception to the rule

In answer to PsychedelicJaques question I don't have any of the London/Fontana/Oriole/Stateside 45s .. I have maybe 30 of the 500s, in the 600s, 700s, 800s I have possibly 60-70% of the released 45s, then fading away a bit and from the time after the label design changed in '76 I probably only have about 30% of the releases. Back with the pre Tamla-Motown releases and into the 500s and 600s I have a lot of U.S. releases to fill in the gaps.

Roger

Roger

Keep going........

I too thought it was a little expensive [[well massively so).

I'm in the process of selling all my Motown singles and albums, and I have the vast majority of albums [[that were released), and a significant number of singles. I know I'd never get 40k even if I included all the albums!

I saw that if no one buys for 40k, he'll keep them. Well, I'm only selling mine because I know I'll never play any of them again, so what's the point in having them? They take up a huge storage space, and I'd be happy to use that space for something worthwhile.

gordy_hunk

I agree. Interesting to watch, but I think he'll be keeping them, instead of selling them for 40k.

Also....Thank you for saying something I've been thinking of saying for ages, but just didn't want to seem like a Motown heretic!

Not being an avid collector by any means, I don't care too much if the music is on vinyl, cassette or CD, just as long as I have it, and can play it whenever I want to.

Even now, many of my CDs just sit there, rarely played...and I often wonder if the space could be used for other things, but I still much prefer the CDs to the idea of downloads.

I still have many of my original vinyl albums [[plus a usable turntable and tape deck, both of which will go in time,no doubt)

Those vinyl albums are never played now. When I hold them in my hand,the memories of the times in my life when I bought them come back to me.....and I'm young again.

I suspect that's the only reason I still have them!

honest man Guest
    westgrand exactly the same situation as me, i have replaced every motown album i own with cd-cdr, my wife keeps on about selling but like you, every album-single tells a story,i think though maybe next year it will happen, and what a sad day that will be for me, my soundtrack of life will be no more, cheers.

Tamla617 had a great response to this....it's a classic one to use guys.

When his wife tells him to sell the records he aint played for years, he says Ok, but only if you sell those clothes you aint worn for years. GAME SET AND MATCH!

she's still got'em all too plus another suitcase of last seasons must haves!

anyway...the motown record collection on ebay didnt get a sniff,hardly suprising not many got 40 grand lying around and i dont think it was right price either,much too high.
    unless it was a ploy by him to keep his "she who must be obeyed" quiet.he's still got them and happy as larry!

I sold all my Motown collection when I went over to CD, think the most I managed to get was around £3 for rare albums, most of mine were promo,

It is in my will now [[LOL) that all my Motown CD collection and a lot of them are rare CD's, okay a few of them you may be able to get now on 2 for 1 sets, a lot are signed by the artists Must Not be put in a boot sale for 50p each LOL!
    Last edited by jaybs; 05-17-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I wonder if I can have my casket lined with my CDs and liner notes?
    I have so many things I want to take with me.
    You know, just in case.
    If I float "up there", it would be nice to have some music.
    If I drop "down there", you could trade something for a piece of ice or a cool soda, now & then.

I'm taking my credit card with me when I go.....

"If I can't take it with me when I go, I just ain't gonna go".

Joseph.....can you send us all an odd track every now and then, just in case we get bored!

Smile

I’m not sure that I’d ever want to sell all of my Motown vinyl.

I haven’t got the time or resources to transfer everything into digital format, and there are a number of things that I’m not certain I’d ever get on CD. Even if I could, I’d still be paying out good money for something that I already have.

Where, for instance, would I get the original stereo mix of “You Keep Running Away” by the Four Tops, or the longer UK single version of “War” by Edwin Starr, or the whole Four Tops “Reach Out” album in mono or….

And that’s ignoring things such as UK-only album releases that never made into to CD form with all of the same tracks in the same running order.

“Diana’s World”, “Behind A Painted Smile” and “I’ll Pick A Rose For My Rose” come to mind here.

It’s not that straightforward for me.

Ramone Verona Guest
    If I needed the money, then I guess I would sell.
    But I'd be much happier in old age to pass the albums along to someone who cared OR
    by donating the items to the Library where people could check them out.
    I could see people sitting in the Library listening to them and reading various liner notes.

I keep all my love letters from years back in those albums, so I better have a check before I pop my clogs.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I thought you said you had a large collection of albums?

ROFL

I've never had any complaints either!

Wow 40k - I'm not surprised it never sold!

To answer the question:-

London = 2
    Oriole = 6
    Stateside = 26 [[Including a very nice white demo of "A Little More Love")
    TMG = 170
    I origianlly intended to colllect all the TMG series singles but the prices were getting a bit a bit silly so I decided to concentrate on Ric-Tic instead which I managed to complete with the exception of 109x - a promotional release for Detroit disc jockey Scott Regan. I do have TMG501 to 511 though.

Wow 40k - I'm not surprised it never sold!

To answer the question:-

London = 2
    Oriole = 6
    Stateside = 26 [[Including a very nice white demo of "A Little More Love")
    TMG = 170
    I had intended to collect all the TMG series singles but the prices were getting a bit a bit silly so I decided to concentrate on Ric-Tic instead which I managed to complete with the exception of 109x - a promotional release for Detroit disc jockey Scott Regan.