[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vandellas on Mike Douglas show - questions

Thank you very much to whoever discovered the full footage of Martha and the Vandellas appearance on the Mike Douglas show performing Heatwave, Canadian Sunset, and My Baby Loves Me - it really is stunningly good quality, and such a strong showing for Martha, Betty and Roz. It has prompted a few questions in my mind which I wondered if anyone could help me with please.

First, what's the date of this appearance? I think sometime in 1966, as Martha introduces My Baby Loves Me as their newest single. But when in 1966? and where was the Mike Douglas Show broadcast from?

What is the story behind this appearance? It is clear that Martha and the ladies were rushed in to appear unexpectedly because....of what? Maybe bad weather prevented the sheduled guests from getting to the studio? Mike says something like "we're stacked up here" - but what does that mean? Snowbound? Martha says they haven't had time to rehearse? Why?

Finally, the song Canadian Sunset was new to me, but it's great and they perform it so well. A rare example of Martha and the Vandellas doing close harmonies. Does anybody know how they came to perform that song on Mike Douglas? Did they ever record it? It's strange, because if my guess at the date was right, 1966 was when they recorded their Live! album, with many items that they didn't record in the studio, but not this particular song. I've never heard of them performing it before, or since. Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks - keep well and safe!
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 08-23-2021 at 08:35 AM.