[REMOVE ADS]

It's All Your Fault

I've loved this ever since purchasing the 25th Anniversary set. Love everything about it: the lyrics, the Funks, Diana's lead, Flo and Mary's backing. It's a perfect song IMO. This is supposed to be the 2nd version. The 1st version was released on the Let the Music Play set. The version on the More Hits EE is listed as a new stereo mix on DFTMC, but it's also an alternate vocal. You have to pay close attention to the difference.

Would it have made a good single? I don't think so, not with the time frame. The first version track sounds a lot like the original "Baby Love" version. The Motown Sound is very present, but it doesn't sound polished, not when you compare it to the first five #1s. Had it been recut soon after the first version, I think it's possible that, like the rerecording of "Baby Love", the recut could've been greenlit for single release, but the only chance I think it had is if it was released after "Where" and before "Baby Love".

The version posted here wasn't completed until February 1965. Releasing it after "Stop" would've put a stop to the consecutive #1s, IMO. I think the song would've probably gone top 10, but I don't think it was innovative enough at that point to take it all the way, so I'm glad the next release was "Back In My Arms Again". But "Fault" was too good to languish in the vault for 20 years. It should've been on More Hits.

But as far as my love of the song, It is definitely one of my absolute favs. It's the combo of Diana's beautiful voice, Flo and Mary's lovely harmonies, and the Funks kicking it up that really gets to me. I saw the song crop up on several lists in the thread about favorite released from the vault tracks, so it appears I'm not alone in my love for "It's All Your Fault".

Thoughts?

i haven't listened to this one in a long time! i think it could have been fine for an album cut. certainly could have been an option as opposed to repeating Ask Any Girl. but the hits were just lightyears ahead of this tune.

I don't see how this track can be discussed without comparing its similarity to "Mother Dear".
    Last edited by 144man; 08-19-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Diana’s heavenly vocals can be heard through out heavens what a great song

Although I like this song, I do not play it often because of one constant distraction that I hear over and over as it plays. It's the way Diana pronounces the word "fault." It comes across to me as 'fuwalt.' I notice that Mary and Florence's pronunciation is more of what I would expect...'falt'. Maybe it's a regional pronunciation?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't see how this track can be discussed without comparing its similarity to "Mother Dear".
    In what way 144? I kind of hear it in the "He treats your daughter sad..." on "Mother Dear" and "You made me love ya..." on "Fault".

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Although I like this song, I do not play it often because of one constant distraction that I hear over and over as it plays. It's the way Diana pronounces the word "fault." It comes across to me as 'fuwalt.' I notice that Mary and Florence's pronunciation is more of what I would expect...'falt'. Maybe it's a regional pronunciation?
    Because I was just a 14 year old kid when I first heard the song, I couldn't help but turn it into "It's All Your Fart". Sang that so much that even now all these years later I can't unhear it when they sing "Fault". Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In what way 144? I kind of hear it in the "He treats your daughter sad..." on "Mother Dear" and "You made me love ya..." on "Fault".
    ...because it's the same tune.

I prefer It's All Your Fault to Mother Dear. Mother Dear was too teenie bopper and they were too old for such a song by then. You Can't Hurry Love was a better song in terms of singing about getting advise and wisdom from Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I prefer It's All Your Fault to Mother Dear. Mother Dear was too teenie bopper and they were too old for such a song by then. You Can't Hurry Love was a better song in terms of singing about getting advise and wisdom from Mom.
    You Can't Hurry Love is just a better song all around. that's like comparing London Broil to Beef Tenderloin. lol

it's all your fault was only ever "ok" to me. i like it but i didn't find it special.

I always loved this song. I love both versions, the first one definitely sounds more reminiscent of the first two number ones. The second one I love Flo wailing in the background. Her whiny "I can't help it"s really play off Diana's lead. I did eventually notice it was essentially the same melody as "Mother Dear" and my sister noticed it too.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    ...because it's the same tune.
    Yeah, very similar. I wonder if "Mother Dear" was a re-worked "It's All Your Fault"? Good ear!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I think so too, but only because of the track. The 1966 version is fantastic IMO and the track fits the girls so much. But the More Hits version does sound a bit too juvenile for ladies their age.