[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    wasn't this album[[More Hits) caught in the product flood of "Sing Country Western & Pop", "A Bit Of Liverpool","Sam Cooke", "Live at The Copa".etc..TOO MUCH AT ONCE!!..
    WDOLG,A GO GO, SYMPHONY ,they each were able to breath as singular releases, the average record buyer was probably confused by the glut of Supremes product all showing up almost at the same time frame of "More Hits"..as a kid, I couldn't afford 6 albums in such a time frame..

RossHolloway Guest
    There was a lot of product out during this time period. 5 albums in a years time? That's a lot for any artist. It's very similar to the mid-late '68 period when there was a lot of Supremes-Supremes-Temptations product out. I'm sure it impacted both singles and album sales for each product.

I recall at the time, 13/14 years old, thinking the 'glut' was crazy, I compared it to someone throwing all their furniture out of the window, these releases were robbed of being 'special', because there was too much, as compared to the 'event' status of say, a Beatles album back then,one at a time,with much pomp and circumstance...
    The Supremes were robbed of that by the periodic market 'glutting'..

Jimi makes an interesting point, one I hadn't considered in reviewing Supremes' sales estimates. I became a Diana Ross fan at the age of nine, in late 1975. Every week included a new DR or Supremes LP discovery. I wasn't able to buy every album immediately with my allowance. I had to choose carefully and hope the others would still be available on my next visit to a particular record store. I imagine fans in the sixties had to make similar choices, affecting overall sales totals. Interesting.

About the time I was coming of age, Diane was already planning to exit the group. I bought all the back catalog except for the concept LPs, which I waited to find in the cut-out bins. I didn't really like any of them then, though I definitely appreciate them more today [[with the exception of "Liverpool," which to me really suffers from very cheap hurry-it-up production values and Diane's most nasal vocals).

I would love to see a Hip-O set on the concept albums, which I think many other people have also suggested. The C&W LP and the Sam Cooke, especially, are very nicely done with great vocals by Diane and the girls. A 2-CD set would be great which might also include "Funny Girl," which I admit I haven't listened to in decades but I would like to hear it again.

The Bonus tracks could be the unreleased "Disney" LP which from what I've heard I am definitely not a fan of those arrangements, but it would make the set truly complete.

MORE HITS peaked at #6 on the album charts, so it didn't do badly at all. Even though the Supremes had many albums released in 1965, I would think this album would have had more potential for high sales since it was original material. As opposed to the theme albums that preceded it. I wasn't around then. But I'm sure that if I was and had to choose carefully, I would have gone for the studio albums like MORE HITS or the live COPA album before I went for LIVERPOOL and COUNTRY WESTERN & POP.

I bought most, if not all, of my Supremes albums in the 70s, usually from the $1.99 bin at Bradlees or Woolworths. I can remember passing by FUNNY GIRL and the JIMMY WEBB album many times in favor of albums with more familiar material like LOVE CHILD and CREAM OF THE CROP.

also bear in mind that retail record stores, who had to order these products in the first place, probably began to O.D. on Supremes titles sometime during 1965....
    and as the #1 U.S. group of the 1960's, "More Hits" should have been a national #1 album, which it would have been,if The Supremes didn't have to compete for rack space with themselves...and themselves...and....

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    MORE HITS peaked at #6 on the album charts, so it didn't do badly at all. Even though the Supremes had many albums released in 1965, I would think this album would have had more potential for high sales since it was original material. As opposed to the theme albums that preceded it. I wasn't around then. But I'm sure that if I was and had to choose carefully, I would have gone for the studio albums like MORE HITS or the live COPA album before I went for LIVERPOOL and COUNTRY WESTERN & POP.

I bought most, if not all, of my Supremes albums in the 70s, usually from the $1.99 bin at Bradlees or Woolworths. I can remember passing by FUNNY GIRL and the JIMMY WEBB album many times in favor of albums with more familiar material like LOVE CHILD and CREAM OF THE CROP.
    Now imagine coming of age in the mid-late 80's and trying to find mint copies of all these albums! I paid between $25-50 for mint condition copies of these albums: We Remember Sam Cooke, A Bit of Liverpool, Sing Rogers & Hart and Country Estern & Pop. I would play them once and make a cassette tape of the album so that I wouldn't damage the albums. The copy I have of We Remember was in absolute pristine condition. I love the art work and photo used for that album. I also like the idea of a box set of their specialty albums. You have to admire the way that Berry took chances with the Supremes. I can't think of another group/artist then or now that recorded such diverse material at the height of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    also bear in mind that retail record stores, who had to order these products in the first place, probably began to O.D. on Supremes titles sometime during 1965....
    and as the #1 U.S. group of the 1960's, "More Hits" should have been a national #1 album, which it would have been,if The Supremes didn't have to compete for rack space with themselves...and themselves...and....
    Good points. Also, people discuss the relative failure of Nothing But Heartaches peaking at #11 after 5 consecutive #1's. I've always assumed fans purchased the LP instead of the single as they were released within a week of each other. Is this a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    You have to admire the way that Berry took chances with the Supremes. I can't think of another group/artist then or now that recorded such diverse material at the height of their career.
    I think the only performer who comes even close is Connie Francis. She recorded 2 or 3 C&W LPs [[at least one of which was with Hank Williams, Jr., I believe), and one Folk album. She recorded many LPs of "ethnic" material: German Favorites, Irish Favorites, Spanish or Latin American Favorites, Jewish Favorites, 2 at least of Italian, not to mention her actual recordings in foreign languages. She devoted an LP to Bacharach/David and another to a songwriter not nearly as well known, Les Reed. I'm not sure she did an entire Broadway or Show Tunes album, but she recorded many standards on her regular LPs. I think even "Who's Sorry Now" was a song that was from the 30s even, as I recall. She almost went the Disney route with a Children's LP, which I've never heard in its entirety, but I admit that what I have heard sounds pretty awful.

But all the other concept LPs that I've mentioned, in my opinion, were quite good. Of course, you'd have to like her to begin with, which I always have. But her take on folk songs such as "Aura Lee" and her renditions of "Yiddishe Mama" and the Irish songs such as "Mother Macree" [[which is kind of like the Irish "Yiddishe Mama") are very good also.

She could definitely go over the top, so it's either really great or too much for each listener!
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Connie did record an album of show tunes- it was called "Happiness - On Broadway Today". I absolutely love Connie's work, which I often find an odd thing to admit as I am such a soul music lover usually. And you're right, her 2 children's albums are indeed appalling and have never been put out on CD. Thank goodness for small mercies! Avoid Connie Sings Fun Songs For Children and also Connie Francis and the Kids Next Door. I think I listened to those albums with my kids just the once and now they've been on the shelf for 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    Connie did record an album of show tunes- it was called "Happiness - On Broadway Today". I absolutely love Connie's work, which I often find an odd thing to admit as I am such a soul music lover usually. And you're right, her 2 children's albums are indeed appalling and have never been put out on CD. Thank goodness for small mercies! Avoid Connie Sings Fun Songs For Children and also Connie Francis and the Kids Next Door. I think I listened to those albums with my kids just the once and now they've been on the shelf for 35 years.
    Wow! I didn't even know there were 2 children's LPs! Guess I was lucky to only hear the one.

I'm a big Connie fan as I mentioned. When I would play her records, my mother used to claim Connie was always imitating Judy Garland. I'm not sure I can hear a lot of Garland in her, even listening again now, though Connie does wring the emotion out of each song. I still think she's a huge talent, glad she had such a great run back in the 60s, especially considering the downturns her life took later.

That is a very good possibility JohnnyB. The lp competed with the single release. But the charts back then was based on more than sales, jukebox selections, radio requests, etc., came into play. On most other charts NBH made the lower top ten. I think it was just a little too teenybopper to go to No. 1. But I have always loved the sleepy delivery Ross gave it. And that rhythm track is just dynamite.

The Nothing But Heartaches rhythm track is DYNAMITE! I love the beginning. And the background refrain of "He brings".

My only criticism of the song is that it doesn't have a high point, a climax; it meanders a little bit. Still, it's an excellent song.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The Nothing But Heartaches rhythm track is DYNAMITE! I love the beginning. And the background refrain of "He brings".

My only criticism of the song is that it doesn't have a high point, a climax; it meanders a little bit. Still, it's an excellent song.
    Where can the backing track be found? I think this is truly one of their great over looked tracks.

Laurel Guest
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. You certainly know a lot about the Supremes. I'm not sure if I want to buy this box set, I prefer old fashioned vinyl. I no longer have the 45s and albums I had when I was a girl--there was no room in my house with a husband, 3 kids and 2 dogs!---but these days now that I'm retired and my kids are on their own I go to garage sales. Last weekend I found the Where Did I Love go album! I played it on my record player and it brought back so many good memories. The Supremes were such a wonderful group. I going to my eyes out for more Supremes and Motown records as I do my garage sales. It's so much fun to find the treasures from my girlhood and listening to Motown again after all these years makes me feel so young. I'm looking forward to learning more about MOtown at this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. You certainly know a lot about the Supremes. I'm not sure if I want to buy this box set, I prefer old fashioned vinyl. I no longer have the 45s and albums I had when I was a girl--there was no room in my house with a husband, 3 kids and 2 dogs!---but these days now that I'm retired and my kids are on their own I go to garage sales. Last weekend I found the Where Did I Love go album! I played it on my record player and it brought back so many good memories. The Supremes were such a wonderful group. I going to my eyes out for more Supremes and Motown records as I do my garage sales. It's so much fun to find the treasures from my girlhood and listening to Motown again after all these years makes me feel so young. I'm looking forward to learning more about MOtown at this forum.
    Welcome to the SDF, Laurel!

But you should get your priorities straight! A husband, children, and pets? Hey, don't records come first??? I mean, really!

Kenneth

i totally agree, in 1965 there were too many lp releases but it also seems the ladies were on a hit streak that year. i don't think i would have released LIVERPOOL though.although there are some good tracks on it.
    same could be said about 1968. both TALK OF THE TOWN and FUNNY GIRL were released on the same day, which is cool in one way but ...maybe not in others. but i am not sure if any other artist released two albums in the same day?
    never liked the cover art to SAM COOK, thought it was cheap si i made my own

Quote Originally Posted by redlabs View Post
    i totally agree, in 1965 there were too many lp releases but it also seems the ladies were on a hit streak that year. i don't think i would have released LIVERPOOL though.although there are some good tracks on it.
    same could be said about 1968. both TALK OF THE TOWN and FUNNY GIRL were released on the same day, which is cool in one way but ...maybe not in others. but i am not sure if any other artist released two albums in the same day?
    never liked the cover art to SAM COOK, thought it was cheap si i made my own
    In the 80s, both Bruce Springsteen and Guns n' Roses released two albums each on the same day, as I recall. It's obviously intended to make a big splash, marketing wise. Interesting question; I'm not sure if I can think of any other Motown or R&B artists who have done it other than the example you give.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    In the 80s, both Bruce Springsteen and Guns n' Roses released two albums each on the same day, as I recall. It's obviously intended to make a big splash, marketing wise. Interesting question; I'm not sure if I can think of any other Motown or R&B artists who have done it other than the example you give.
    The Supremes actually did it before TOTT & FUNNY GIRL, too - AT THE COPA and MERRY CHRISTMAS were released on the same day: 11/1/65

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_at_the_Copa

like I said, a glut of Supremes product...
    and the Guns & Roses/Springsteen sets were inter related to each other; The Supremes titles were all over the map, and made for very poor chart showings as a result, for the history books

like I said, a glut of Supremes product...
    and the Guns & Roses/Springsteen sets were inter related to each other; The Supremes titles were all over the map, and made for very poor chart showings as a result, for the history books
    Jimi - Which Springsteen LPs was it? I remember the GNR. K

Lucky Town and Human Touch...see related link
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ar...p/t-25001.html

Lucky Town and Human Touch...see related link
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ar...p/t-25001.html
    Thank you...K

More Hits was my second Supremes album. I bought it when it was released. I was not aware that there were all these other albums released that year. I did get Christmas and Copa when released later in 1965.

Our small suburban record stores only stocked the big sellers. I then spent the six months in 1966 between the releases of Symphony and A Go-Go rounding out my collection. I ventured into the big city to larger stores [[$2.90 mono; $3.20 stereo). I bought Meet, Liverpool, Sam Cooke, CW&P, Apollo, In Paris and the 45 of "Come See About Me" to get the flip "Always In My Heart" which was not on an album until HDH was released in early 1967. So I was very busy in 1966 buying Supremes and Motown - I also got Greatest Hits by Mary Wells, Marvin Gaye, Vandellas and Marvelettes from the Columbia Record Club that year.

David, I like the Sam Cooke cover. It's the matte finish that works for me. I think it looks distinctive. I have a copy of a UK reissue from the 80s that is a glossy cover and a larger photo [[and also names the group Diana Ross & The Supremes) which makes it look like a budget cover [[which the UK reissue was, coincidentally) and is less appealing visually.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    More Hits was my second Supremes album. I bought it when it was released. I was not aware that there were all these other albums released that year. I did get Christmas and Copa when released later in 1965.

Our small suburban record stores only stocked the big sellers. I then spent the six months in 1966 between the releases of Symphony and A Go-Go rounding out my collection. I ventured into the big city to larger stores [[$2.90 mono; $3.20 stereo). I bought Meet, Liverpool, Sam Cooke, CW&P, Apollo, In Paris and the 45 of "Come See About Me" to get the flip "Always In My Heart" which was not on an album until HDH was released in early 1967. So I was very busy in 1966 buying Supremes and Motown - I also got Greatest Hits by Mary Wells, Marvin Gaye, Vandellas and Marvelettes from the Columbia Record Club that year.

David, I like the Sam Cooke cover. It's the matte finish that works for me. I think it looks distinctive. I have a copy of a UK reissue from the 80s that is a glossy cover and a larger photo [[and also names the group Diana Ross & The Supremes) which makes it look like a budget cover [[which the UK reissue was, coincidentally) and is less appealing visually.
    Agree with you on the Sam Cooke album cover.

I remember the HMV at 72nd in NYC in 1995 had a 30 box case lot of sealed We Remember Sam Cooke CD's in their cutout bin for $4.99 each. Had I known what they would've become worth online I would've bought them all and sold one off each time Hip-O Select put out a Motown related box or special edition lol

Hi All

Just went on to Amazon Uk and got a message as a result of items in my basket that the price had dropped from 35 to 13.18 pounds. Preordered my copy before the price jumped up again

Quote Originally Posted by berry101 View Post
    Hi All

Just went on to Amazon Uk and got a message as a result of items in my basket that the price had dropped from 35 to 13.18 pounds. Preordered my copy before the price jumped up again
    Wow! That's a lot cheaper than any American site.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Hi All

thanks for the heads up! just ordered mine too!

I live in Canada. Apologies in advance as I dont have a "pound" sign on my keyboard !! I always check the various prices from Spun ', DeepDiscount & Amazon and remember if you purchase from Amazon Uk they also remove the vat [[tax) from the price . Still cheaper to buy from there sometimes even adding on shipping cost . Managed to get Time Will Reveal by Debarge for 10.83 pounds net of vat and Let Yourself Go for 28.78 pounds [[net of vat) . You really have to watch. Let Yourself Go , dropped in price at one point then jacked up again . I was lucky to have ordered before it skyrocketted . I generally will put in an order when the item is at a good price but will still put the sames items in my basket and watch the price . You can always cancel and reorder at the new price - ignore their pre release price guarantee as sometimes the price can go up You can especially get good deals on the pre order pricing . I ordered the Temps and Supremes 50th Anniversary collections and , again , net of vat they are 29.99 pounds . Watching to see if they go down as they keep fluctuating

Hi All

Even with the pounds-to-dollar conversion, that's a good $15 less than on Amazon.com. I just ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk. Thanks Berry101.

Going down....Update , now down to 11 pounds 39 !!!

Yay!! Just placed my order today. Thanks for the tip.

Now £8.99 on HMV.

Thanks Copley

Cancelled Amazon & ordered it with HMV!

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Now £8.99 on HMV.
    Thanks! - just cancelled my Amazon too!

Another HMV order here too :-)

Eamonn

I wonder how a product made in the U.S can be available in the U.K at HMV for the equivalent of $14.5 - when it's showing at $32.71 on U.S Amazon?

You all know that this cd's shipping date is December 2011 via HMV, don't cha?

Ryon6

Whatever the release date is will eventually be the same on all UK sites! Personally I'm in no hurry and am only buying it because it's so cheap.

MORE HITS shipping date today.....yeah! maybe i'll have it by monday.just in time for my day off

I don't think it has shipped yet, I always get a notification from HipO when something ships

I do know that if you order from hop-o after 3pm on one day it is supposed to be processed the following day during normal business ours. I ordered mine around quarter after 3 on Thursday and should have been processed today. I also paid for "rush delivery". Meaning is should be shipped on Monday and arrive by Tuesday or so. We will see. Patience is a virtue. I am really excited about this release as it is my favorite and my first Supremes album I acquired.

They've been a day or two late several times in the past.

I have not received any shipping confirmation yet. My credit card shows the Hip-O transaction still pending. It showed that for a two-day period after my order was placed Oct 16 then dropped off and two days ago on Oct 27 it reappeared.

On one occasion I received my CD the day after I received my shipping confirmation and when my credit card was charged. So there is still hope for Monday or Tuesday.

I just pre-ordered my copy for an impressive $17 [[with shipping included) from Amazon UK. Ships mid-December. Best deal!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Hits-S...0081225&sr=8-1

Rush shipping and still no confirmation as well as a still "pending". Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

My credit card no longer shows "pending". Like last week, the "pending" dropped off after about 48 hours. Maybe the card company only holds a pending for a couple of days and if no further info from the retailer then it drops off.

But this has happened before with Hip-O releases.

new shipping date.....11/2/11

It now says that the SHIPPING DATE is November 2.