[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    213

    In addition to Berry Gordy, what other music figures are 90 or more?

    As we have learned over in the Motown forum, Berry Gordy is up for a well-deserved Kennedy Center Honor. We also knew that he turned 91 recently. So that got me to thinking about what other music stars [[not necessarily soul or Motown but just music in general) are still with us at age 90 or more.

    I did some checking on Wikipedia for a few that came to mind and this is what I came up with......

    Sue Thompson [[pop/country singer--Norman, Paper Tiger, etc.) is 96.

    Ed Ames [[My Cup Runneth Over) is 94.

    Lavelle White [[Texas Blues Singer) is 92.

    A number of others [[Willie Nelson, Frankie Valli, Bobby Vinton) are closing in but not quite there yet. What other names in the rock or soul era are still with us and have reached the remarkable age of 90?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,604
    Rep Power
    549
    According to Wiki, Faye Adams [“Shake a Hand”] is still with us at the tender age of 98. There’s also chanteuse Joyce Bryant [“Drunk with Love”] who’s 93, Leontyne Price at 94, and jazz drummer Roy Haynes is 96.
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-28-2021 at 08:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Singer Tony Bennett is still with us at age 94.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    213
    Hadn't thought about Tony..........

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,895
    Rep Power
    223
    Harry Belafante 94
    Burt Bacharach 93
    and how can we forget Motown's own JOE MESSINA! 92

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,917
    Rep Power
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Singer Tony Bennett is still with us at age 94.
    Tony is a soldier. He's determined to work until he can't any longer. He's doing 2 gigs
    with Lady Gaga this summer...

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/enter...rnd/index.html

    Tony has long supported women in the industry having previous performed and recorded
    with Gaga, who despite her antics earlier can really sing. Also with kd lang, Diana Krall, a personal friend and even the late Amy Winehouse...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Add one more to the list; Mo Ostin [record exec. from Warner/Reprise & Dreamworks] at age 94.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,616
    Rep Power
    802
    Cleo Laine 93

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,616
    Rep Power
    802
    Sonny Rollins 90

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,106
    Rep Power
    118
    If we are not limiting to performers:

    Art Rupe [[Specialty Records founder) age 103
    Clarence Avant [[Sussex, Tabu and Motown) age 90

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,791
    Rep Power
    325
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  21.1 KB
    Good Ol' Art made it to 103, eh? Great! I haven't seen him since 1974, when he gave me 200 of his new heavy-duty 45 Specialty Records sleeves at his cost because he appreciated that I was a big fan of the music on his label:
    Name:  Specialty.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  71.7 KB
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-28-2021 at 08:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,106
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  21.1 KB
    Good Ol' Art made it to 103, eh? Great! I haven't seen him since 1974, when he gave me 200 of his new heavy-duty 45 Specialty Records sleeves at his cost because he appreciated that I was a big fan of the music on his label:
    Name:  Specialty.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  71.7 KB
    He will be 104 September 5th of this year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    213
    I really had in mind singers only because if we branched it out too much, the sky would be the limit. But to look at it another way, ANYONE who reaches that age deserves to be praised, so keep them coming!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    213
    Someone reminded me that the singer Jane Morgan turned 97 in May. Also among the ones who are not too far away from the big 9-0 is the legendary Petula Clark who will turn 89 in November.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,895
    Rep Power
    223
    What about BURT BACHARACH? He just turned 93 in May and just released a new album, "Blue Umbrella".

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,791
    Rep Power
    325
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  21.1 KB
    Willie Winfield of The Harptones was 92, when he just passed on a few days ago. There are still several 90+ singers hanging on.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,604
    Rep Power
    549
    Jazz saxophonist/composer Benny Golson is also still with us at 92.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Tony is a soldier. He's determined to work until he can't any longer. He's doing 2 gigs
    with Lady Gaga this summer...

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/enter...rnd/index.html

    Tony has long supported women in the industry having previous performed and recorded
    with Gaga, who despite her antics earlier can really sing. Also with kd lang, Diana Krall, a personal friend and even the late Amy Winehouse...
    I've admired Bennett's full circle turn from excoriating post-1950
    s performers to truly embracing them. If $ were no object I'd love to be in the audience with Mr. B and Lady G.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    93
    Marilyn Maye, 93.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    43
    I'm surprised that Tony Bennet is still able to perform since he has had Alzheimer's for a number of years. I think Cleo Laine is 90 or above.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,106
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've admired Bennett's full circle turn from excoriating post-1950
    s performers to truly embracing them. If $ were no object I'd love to be in the audience with Mr. B and Lady G.
    Thank you PeaceNHarmony, I learned a new word today Lol.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,520
    Rep Power
    304
    Tamla and Stax's Mable John was born in November, 1930.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I'm surprised that Tony Bennet is still able to perform since he has had Alzheimer's for a number of years. I think Cleo Laine is 90 or above.
    Tony B did quite well at Radio City, at least according to one reviewer. I believe these are his final concerts -

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,751
    Rep Power
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I'm surprised that Tony Bennet is still able to perform since he has had Alzheimer's for a number of years. I think Cleo Laine is 90 or above.
    Think after his drug abuse era, he cleaned up so well that he was able to perform well into 94. But I gathered that he's closing in on his career. He'll fully retire after the Bennett/Gaga album [[their second, I gather) comes out and probably do one final concert in 2022 before officially hanging it up.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,604
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Think after his drug abuse era, he cleaned up so well that he was able to perform well into 94. But I gathered that he's closing in on his career. He'll fully retire after the Bennett/Gaga album [[their second, I gather) comes out and probably do one final concert in 2022 before officially hanging it up.
    No, the news since yesterday is that his performing career has officially ended as per doctor's orders. The last show with Gaga was his swan song; all remaining dates have been cancelled.

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rming-1211694/

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,917
    Rep Power
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    No, the news since yesterday is that his performing career has officially ended as per doctor's orders. The last show with Gaga was his swan song; all remaining dates have been cancelled.

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rming-1211694/
    I expect my radio station's Sunday host Michael Bourne will make mention of this today.
    He's not only the Metro area's biggest fan but a personal friend...

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,798
    Rep Power
    177
    Clive Davis is 89.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Here's another one; Jim Stewart [Stax Records President] is 91.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,604
    Rep Power
    549
    Loretta Lynn turned 90 today.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,568
    Rep Power
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Tamla and Stax's Mable John was born in November, 1930.
    I've been trying to find out whether Mable is still well and active, and I found this website with some of her recent activity!

    http://joyinjesus.org/mablejohn/about.htm

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Harry Belafante 94
    Burt Bacharach 93
    and how can we forget Motown's own JOE MESSINA! 92
    I could be wrong, but didn't Funk Brother, Joe Messina pass away recently?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I could be wrong, but didn't Funk Brother, Joe Messina pass away recently?
    Unfortunately, Joe Messina passed away on Mon. April 4th at the age of 93 [and there were posts about it on this forum].

    Joe Messina Passes [soulfuldetroit.com]
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-15-2022 at 10:08 AM.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Clive Davis turned 90 on April 4th.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,749
    Rep Power
    205
    Not necessarily a music figure, but music adjacent, Katherine Jackson will be 92 next month.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Loretta Lynn turned 90 today.
    ... and, sadly a trump supporter. Sorry, all, but - yes, to me it's a turning point.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Not necessarily a music figure, but music adjacent, Katherine Jackson will be 92 next month.
    What a milestone in itself. The wealth of talent she birthed and put into the musical world! She envisioned herself as a country singer when met Joe. [[according to tv miniseries, The Jacksons- An American Dream, produced by Jermaine in '93.)

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Clive Davis turned 90 on April 4th.
    Motown Eddie, you got to read his autobio, Soundtrack to My Life. Must read I must say.
    He takes the read from his childhood thru J Records and beyond. The acts he signed is staggering. Check it out.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Motown Eddie, you got to read his autobio, Soundtrack to My Life. Must read I must say.
    He takes the read from his childhood thru J Records and beyond. The acts he signed is staggering. Check it out.
    I caught the documentary about Clive Davis, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, on HBO a few months ago and it was a great overview of his life [from childhood thru his stints with Columbia, Arista & J Records]. And yes indeed; the acts that he signed to these companies were staggering [and too many to list here]. I'll look for the accompanying book at my library; thanks for the tip NNY63.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    If we are not limiting to performers:

    Art Rupe [[Specialty Records founder) age 103
    Clarence Avant [[Sussex, Tabu and Motown) age 90
    So sad, LockhartG, Clarence's wife was killed in a home invasion in LA. Terrible news. It occurred shortly after his daughter dropped a docu film about "The Black Godfather. " Not sure if the perpetrator[[s ) has been caught.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I caught the documentary about Clive Davis, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, on HBO a few months ago and it was a great overview of his life [from childhood thru his stints with Columbia, Arista & J Records]. And yes indeed; the acts that he signed to these companies were staggering [and too many to list here]. I'll look for the accompanying book at my library; thanks for the tip NNY63.
    You got it!

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    34,604
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    So sad, LockhartG, Clarence's wife was killed in a home invasion in LA. Terrible news. It occurred shortly after his daughter dropped a docu film about "The Black Godfather. " Not sure if the perpetrator[[s ) has been caught.
    The perp was sentenced to 190 years in prison just yesterday.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,467
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The perp was sentenced to 190 years in prison just yesterday.
    Yes, I read that after posting. Thanks. SANS.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.