We all know Motown chose Cindy Birdsong as Florence Ballard's replacement and Jean Terrell as Diana Ross' replacement but after that the information on who picked the group members is a bit fuzzy. It seems that Sundray Tucker was supposed to replace Cindy in 1972 but Lynda Laurence , her sister, also auditioned and they chose her. So, who chose Lynda? Was it Motown or Mary and Jean? After Jean and Lynda left, Mary rehired Cindy and chose Scherrie. She wrote Motown was angry that she chose people for the group. They were initially hired by Supremes, Inc. so basically they worked for Mary until Motown provided contracts. Mary also wrote that Motown basically gave them contracts as soloists, with agreed upon percentages of the group. It has been written that Terrell was salaried, so she apparently received no profits from songs she sang on. Mary said Lynda was asking for a full third of the group profits, but since Lynda was pregnant and would be replaced, it was a no and that a one-third share was "unrealistic". Did they give each a percentage and use the rest for wardrobe,recording,etc.? Also, Mary said Motown was wanting to replace Cindy, plus Cindy was at odds with Pedro. I believe Pedro was the one who found Susaye and I think I read he promised she would be lead singer. So, who really chose the group members after Jean-Mary or Motown?