Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
I’m enjoying everyone’s passion and well thought ideas for The Supremes. I don’t agree with anyone, as I think most of the material was ho-hum. These non-commercially viable warbles were akin to the J5 Moving Violation dumpster fest. These groups had talent but no material. I’m glad so much of the mediocre material diana ross recorded was not released. I cringe at old funky rolls.

I agree with Blue limiting Mary at this point. I don’t know who was shopping material for the group, but there had to be 1 million songs in LA to consider that would’ve been perfect for Mary, and still commercially viable because I just don’t see the point of putting out an album that’s going to appeal basically only to the shrinking Fanbase. The general public is not rooting for Mary, or the group for that matter, so they are nowhere as forgiving as members here eager for the Supremes to return true to form. We know that mary had the goods, But putting mediocre material out there just because it’s not awful, is it disservice to the group and to the fans. She proves herself on You Are The Heart of Me.

I wish that Elton John had written and produced an album for them. I have to think that either it was way way way before he was successful call mom or his terms were ridiculous because the fact that never Mary never mentioned this to me, nor in either of her books, I have to think there’s more to it. When you think of all the things that are in mary’s books that may or may not have happened at all or the way that they were described, there would certainly be room for the Elton John story. It’s a mystery to me.
I am sure it was before Elton became a superstar. I think he had his first UK hit around 1969. Not sure when he broke America. I re-read my conversation with Elton and he just said it was the early 70's following Diana's departure. That is all i wrote regarding the timeline.
Perhaps Motown came to regret turning Elton down, and maybe that is why they eventually paired the girls with Jimmy Webb?
I remain baffled as to why Mary did not mention it in her books. Perhaps she was not consulted about it and maybe she never even knew about it?