[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The idea of Ross starting off the next phase of her career with a 50s throwback was a bit genius IMO. It's the execution that bugs me. "Fools" was an important part of her early music love. Previously I've offered in the forum the opinion that "There Goes My Baby" would've made an even better single than "Fools", but either one, being important to the Ross story, makes sense.
    I never thought of Diana's THERE GOES MY BABY as any more than a decent album track. But I think an updated rendition, similar to what Donna Summer did with it, might have been nice to hear.

Re FOOLS, I wasn't knocked out by it upon first listen but I ended up liking it. It is a nice rendition and was a nice way to start off the RCA era.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I never thought of Diana's THERE GOES MY BABY as any more than a decent album track. But I think an updated rendition, similar to what Donna Summer did with it, might have been nice to hear.

Re FOOLS, I wasn't knocked out by it upon first listen but I ended up liking it. It is a nice rendition and was a nice way to start off the RCA era.
    Regarding "There Goes My Baby", I wasn't referring to the version Diana eventually cut. As much as I like the version on RHRAB, I think Diana's "Fools" is a better choice of single. I think if Diana had cut "There Goes" in 1981 she could've made a hit out of it had she funked it up.

Four On the Floor did this in 1979. I don't suggest that Diana do a knock off of this, but just an idea of making the song up tempo and kind of funky. I think it would've worked.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The idea of Ross starting off the next phase of her career with a 50s throwback was a bit genius IMO. It's the execution that bugs me. "Fools" was an important part of her early music love. Previously I've offered in the forum the opinion that "There Goes My Baby" would've made an even better single than "Fools", but either one, being important to the Ross story, makes sense.

Diana has a reputation by some for being a weak singer, which is ridiculous if one really pays attention to her recorded as well as live work. She has a thin voice, which people erroneously equate with weakness. This song did her no favors in that regard. It's almost a different singer from The Boss to diana80 to "Fools". I just can't stand it. But in the end can one argue against it too hard, considering the fact that it was a big hit and it's still- apparently- a crowd pleaser? This just isn't the Diana Ross I particular prefer.
    On the one hand, I agree that the idea of Diana Ross starting the next phase of her career with a 50s throwback was a bit genius.
    On the other hand, I could argue that it was just taking the easy way out.

It wasn't one of my favorites and I often skip it when it's playing.

But it is monster concert favorite to this day.

It was a big hit.

It's a nice enough song, did well, I'm sure she's very happy with it all.

I don’t care for WDFFIL, but it was an international hit, so, yes it was “good” but if I never heard it again, I’d be just fine.

It’s not really about any one getting nasty it’s about the nasty trashing her music and it’s always the same ones so who’s nasty cheers and enjoy life

I loved WDFFIL cause it was such a real happy song and a great video. Just fun fun fun IMO. I still like it when Diana does it in her concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I loved WDFFIL cause it was such a real happy song and a great video. Just fun fun fun IMO. I still like it when Diana does it in her concerts.
    it DOES seem to enjoy a bouncy fun reception in her shows, I’m glad you and so many others love it. I think I might have received better had my expectations for some thing more like her previous recent hits not been so strong.

Whatever your opinion of WDFFIL's artistic merit - and we can respect each other's opinion - the bottom line was the public loved it and in fact still do.

Interestingly in two countries in which Diana didn't have a prolific chart career, Germany and [[perhaps surprisingly) Australia Fools was one of those records which did go top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Whatever your opinion of WDFFIL's artistic merit - and we can respect each other's opinion - the bottom line was the public loved it and in fact still do.

Interestingly in two countries in which Diana didn't have a prolific chart career, Germany and [[perhaps surprisingly) Australia Fools was one of those records which did go top 20.
    And in the Netherlands, Why Do Fools Fall In Love is her first and only #1 [[not counting "A Brand New Day" which was also a #1 here). The song was very popular at the time, yet nowadays you never hear it on the radio anymore, while other Ross songs are played regularly [[including the new single "Thank You"). I loved WDFFIL when it came out [[also because of the very joyful music video), but in retrospect I find it too MOR/Adult contemporary, particularly indeed when comparing it to The Boss and diana, which really re-established Ross as a major recording star.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Not sure that is still the case Florence. I have not heard Fools on the radio for over 20 years. It is true to say Ms Ross still loves to perform it and will no doubt continue to do so, but i don't think the general public yearn to hear it unlike some of her classic hits which continue to be played regularly. It has not aged well in my opinion.
    However we will continue to be treated to it along with the equally awful i will survive simply because Ms Ross loves to sing those songs, and they are easy songs for her to perform. It doesn't matter if us long term fans yearn for something different. The only changes to her live set will be 2 or 3 songs from the new album. Of course she will add a couple of UK favourites for the tour next year, but don't expect many if any "surprises" that we all would love to hear

There was no insults directed at anyone in bunch your panties people come on here and say oh that’s such a horrible song I can’t stand it it’s Karaoke when all your doing is insulting Miss Ross you don’t think her family knows about this site think again be kind and kind will be to you ❤️[🩹 it is never my intention to divide one Doesn't have to use the words hate and horrible there no need for it

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    There was no insults directed at anyone in bunch your panties people come on here and say oh that’s such a horrible song I can’t stand it it’s Karaoke when all your doing is insulting Miss Ross you don’t think her family knows about this site think again be kind and kind will be to you ❤️[啕 it is never my intention to divide one Doesn't have to use the words hate and horrible there no need for it
    Actually, all anyone is doing is sharing their opinion of a 1981 single by Diana Ross.

Given that most people in the world didn't buy it, there will be some who like it, some who don't like it, and billions who have probably never heard it.

Also, some people will think that releasing it was a good move, and others will think that it wasn't a good move.

How people express their views will vary from person to person, but all they are doing is expressing their views about a 1981 single, since that is what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    There was no insults directed at anyone in bunch your panties people come on here and say oh that’s such a horrible song I can’t stand it it’s Karaoke when all your doing is insulting Miss Ross you don’t think her family knows about this site think again be kind and kind will be to you ❤️[�� it is never my intention to divide one Doesn't have to use the words hate and horrible there no need for it
    I've said this before and will no doubt have to say it again, but this is a forum, not an appreciation society.
    The dictionary defines a forum as a ..."place for public discussion...giving opportunity for debate". Consequently different points of view should be encouraged. This could cause problems for very young members who have formed their opinions through social media, as they tend to gravitate to groups with similar world-views and therefore may not be able to grasp the concept of dissent.
    However forums have existed for several thousand years as a conduit for reasoned arguments, so no one is going to hold back on firmly held views just to avoid hurting the feelings of someone with an opposing view.
    On the whole, members get on reasonably well with each other as long as they concentrate on the arguments themselves and do not let things become personal.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've said this before and will no doubt have to say it again, but this is a forum, not an appreciation society.
    The dictionary defines a forum as a ..."place for public discussion...giving opportunity for debate". Consequently different points of view should be encouraged. This could cause problems for very young members who have formed their opinions through social media, as they tend to gravitate to groups with similar world-views and therefore may not be able to grasp the concept of dissent.
    However forums have existed for several thousand years as a conduit for reasoned arguments, so no one is going to hold back on firmly held views just to avoid hurting the feelings of someone with an opposing view.
    On the whole, members get on reasonably well with each other as long as they concentrate on the arguments themselves and do not let things become personal.
    Eloquently stated.

I think WDFFIL was a great choice for a single. It was nice to have something that, along with the video, presented a fun and upbeat side to Diana Ross to herald a new start on RCA.

Of all the great oldies to re-record, she chose Why Do Fools Fall In Love and Sweet Nothings ??????
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-15-2021 at 09:20 AM.

RCA had a $15 million dollar investment on their hands who was delusional. I can only imagine how many nights sleep were lost and executive careers ruined.

I guess RCA wanted to get Diana Ross product out there given the amount of money they spent to sign her, and due to her recent string of big hits. Strike while the iron is hot. But one can argue that she wasn't a newly minted star where there is a true need to get a new song and album to maintain the momentum of a new star. Diana Ross was established. Would the public have forgotten her if more time had been taken to produce her RCA debut? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I guess RCA wanted to get Diana Ross product out there given the amount of money they spent to sign her, and due to her recent string of big hits. Strike while the iron is hot. But one can argue that she wasn't a newly minted star where there is a true need to get a new song and album to maintain the momentum of a new star. Diana Ross was established. Would the public have forgotten her if more time had been taken to produce her RCA debut? I don't think so.

I once, by happenstance, was in TKTS line with an RCA exec in Times Square. He shuttered at the mere mention of her name. He’s the one who told me about them refusing the Central Park album and that’s why there are only 6 rca albums. Her contract was for one per year, but didn’t specify that RCA could dictate content, so They had to accept it, but could refused to release it. He said that they would have re-signed her if she was more cooperative, but both sides couldn’t wait for the contract to end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I once, by happenstance, was in TKTS line with an RCA exec in Times Square. He shuttered at the mere mention of her name. He’s the one who told me about them refusing the Central Park album and that’s why there are only 6 rca albums. Her contract was for one per year, but didn’t specify that RCA could dictate content, so They had to accept it, but could refused to release it. He said that they would have re-signed her if she was more cooperative, but both sides couldn’t wait for the contract to end.
    I really enjoy reading such recollections. It provides extra insight into what is surely a very complex character. I’m sure she must have been a complete nightmare to work during that period, but It certainly doesn't stop me being any less of a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really enjoy reading such recollections. It provides extra insight into what is surely a very complex character. I’m sure she must have been a complete nightmare to work during that period, but It certainly doesn't stop me being any less of a fan.
    that’s one of the wonderful things about this group, everybody has their a little bit of some thing to add, or to comment, or to suggest. When I think of Marv, I think of all the wonderful clips he provided that I never would’ve heard of, I know I had more than a share of run-ins with him, but I don’t think about that anymore I’m so glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post

It doesn’t affect my fandom either, it’s just a bit of interesting information.

Such a shame RCA did not released the Central Park live album. I'm sure with some editing it could have been turned into a solid album [[probably better than the Greatest Hits Live). At least we now have it on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Such a shame RCA did not released the Central Park live album. I'm sure with some editing it could have been turned into a solid album [[probably better than the Greatest Hits Live). At least we now have it on DVD!
    oh i think it's a mess. 30 years later its fine enough but no way would it have been a quality album. Day 1 is fine enough but you have the whole mess of the weather. without the visual of her on stage in the rain and wind, the sound isn't great. Day 2 her voice isn't as strong. a little raspy now and then.

now if they were releasing VHS tapes of videos back at this time, perhaps that would have been a better outlet. then you have the wildly dramatic visual of the storm and Day 1. then pick a few pieces of Day 2 and have that almost as "Act II" in the video. but this concert doesn't have the audio quality of her Evening With back in 77.

she certainly could have released the 79 HBO special on audio. her vocals there are masterful.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh i think it's a mess. 30 years later its fine enough but no way would it have been a quality album. Day 1 is fine enough but you have the whole mess of the weather. without the visual of her on stage in the rain and wind, the sound isn't great. Day 2 her voice isn't as strong. a little raspy now and then.

now if they were releasing VHS tapes of videos back at this time, perhaps that would have been a better outlet. then you have the wildly dramatic visual of the storm and Day 1. then pick a few pieces of Day 2 and have that almost as "Act II" in the video. but this concert doesn't have the audio quality of her Evening With back in 77.

she certainly could have released the 79 HBO special on audio. her vocals there are masterful.
    I think they could have released a single out of her performance of RIBBON IN THE SKY. IMO, it was her best vocal of the day, along with MIRROR, MIRROR.

Back in 1983, one of my local stations aired the Central Park concert and I taped it on 8-track! For months, I used to listen to it every day from 4-5:30 like clockwork. I remember wondering why it wasn't released as a live album but now I agree that it really doesn't work as well without the stunning visuals.

oh i would have offered to take him to dinner to extend the conversation!!! fascinating!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh i would have offered to take him to dinner to extend the conversation!!! fascinating!!
    Believe me honey I was doing everything I could to continue this conversation short of throwing myself on the ground and grabbing his leg! He didn’t really even want to talk about her as I recall, the whole thing was kind of like a nightmare to him. It was a stressful time in her life she was going through all the Motown separation stuff, being an absolute gigantic superstar and all that that entails plus I assume, some sort of desperate need to stay on top which would be stressful, plus she’s raising three girls plus she’s trying to do a movie career plus she’s single and dating and then gets married to a guy that doesn’t understand show business……Those could be reasons why she was investing less time in her recording career than I would’ve liked. But who knows? She was used to just going in and getting things done quickly. The only RCA album I was happy with was swept away.

it worked for

#6 Billboard album chart , double platinum

that's also a much stronger concert than Diana's CP show

in theory, Diana Ross Live In Central Park could have/should have been a mega hit album. she had more hits than practically any other artist, she was still a major pop chart presence in 83 [[although that was starting to slip), her name recognition was huge and she's a dynamic live performer.

but listening to a singer in a thunderstorm just isn't very exciting

watching a singer in a thunderstorm is!

ha ha !!!!!

If Diana was Miss Ross' most popular and highest selling album, why didn't she do another Nile Rodgers album?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    If Diana was Miss Ross' most popular and highest selling album, why didn't she do another Nile Rodgers album?
    Chic was her first choice, but they were unavailable. Then Quincy…

She did in 1989, it was called Workin' Overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    She did in 1989, it was called Workin' Overtime.
    showed how out of touch she was since Nile was drugged-up at the time and hadn't been near his peak in years. 1980-85 was when she needed Nile [[& Nard) to work with her - IF they forgave her for getting someone to rework their diana album from 1980.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 07-28-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    showed how out of touch she was since Nile was drugged-up at the time and hadn't been near his peak in years. 1980-85 was when she needed Nile [[& Nard) to work with her - IF they forgave her for getting someone to rework their diana album from 1980.
    The royalties they received from the DIANA album helped them to forgive her!

I believe there was some talk that had she stayed with Motown that there would have been a follow up album. But because she recorded It's My Turn and it was released to coincide with the movie, they had to put it on an album. Therefore we got To Love Again. And I'd assume they filled it with the older tunes only because she was leaving motown. had she stayed I would think they would have turned over the full lp to Masser for new material

then perhaps after that she'd return to the chic team