Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
In Philly there was a store on Market St. downtown that had massive speakers outside the store, that both promoted the record they were promoting by playing it multiple times consecutively, and drew attention to the store. I remember hearing the song this way for the first time. I liked it, maybe hearing it at maximum volume helped.
As far as the Motown Sound, at 13, to me anything on Motown and affiliated labels was the Motown Sound. Fast forward to a more seasoned, and knowledgeable me, and the sound leans more towards the Invictus period than it does the 65-67 Classic Period. Knowing that they were coming to the end of the association with Motown, the 3 maestros may not have knocked themselves out. Or put another way, it easily surpassed most of the subsequent single releases, but was not on par with a number of even album cuts from previous projects.
Some very good observations and actually mirrors my experiences with my Motown love affair. When it was all new to me, as long as it was a Motown record, I loved it. Then as time went on I feel my tastes and preferences got more narrow; basically it was 1962-1967 that I preferred hearing. There actually are some amazing things after '67 but I just seem to prefer the earlier things. It frustrates me though because it was more fun when I was a kid discovering Motown. Then, all I cared about was that it was a Motown record. Now, I can see I've gotten a lot more specific in what I like.