[REMOVE ADS]

Connie Stevens - 5:30 plane

I really like it... predates the Supremes version by 2 years:

I think Connie does well with the vocal but to me the arrangement is a bit too brassy and Vegasy, too upbeat I think for this song which to me is really about regret and missed opportunity. But an interesting version, to be sure. I had no idea she recorded this kind of material.

I had no idea that Connie was still recording in the seventies.

I agree with Kenneth. Her version is too upbeat. I prefer Jean's version much more.

But thanks for finding this. It was an interesting listen and a surprise.

Yes thx-too big band for me; Jean magnificent on Surpemes version-and the backgrounds superb! Connie's sings it like shes singin Candy Man!

Couldnt resist-still get chills listening to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_wM_18dbA

nice version by Connie. a fun find. definitely her version reflected that era. but what country was it recorded in? that can make a big difference in the production for a U.S. artist.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Couldnt resist-still get chills listening to this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_wM_18dbA
    I agree...I always thought it was one of Jean's strongest performances. The background and arrangement is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes thx-too big band for me; Jean magnificent on Surpemes version-and the backgrounds superb! Connie's sings it like shes singin Candy Man!
    Great to listen to that again. This was the song that I played most on the Jimmy Webb album, an album that has taken its lumps from critics and fans. It also contains one of Mary's best performances, I KEEP IT HID.

Just listened to Connie's first hit from back in the fifties, a duet with Ed Byrnes. OMG It sounds so corny now.

I just saw a clilp of Connie and Ed doing this song! Totally agree-IMO Jimmy Webb was their best album EVER-I Keep It Hid Marys best performance EVER. 530 Plane my fave too!

smark21 Guest
    Connie's version sounds like a jingle for an airline at the height of the jet set age. Intersting but JML/Webb version is vastly superior. 5:30 Plane is the best song on the Webb album.

Just to show that Connie was TOTALLY hip back in the day [[LOL), did you know she recorded "Betcha By Golly Wow" [[better known by The Stylistics) FIRST? Her version was released in 1970 as "Keep Growing Strong." Ya know, it's actually not half bad. This is the best version I could find on YouTube--the first minute is spent with a radio DJ and someone else explaining the song as recorded by Connie. I'd say this works better than her version of "5:30 Plane" [[which is a little frenetic).
    Last edited by danman869; 05-06-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: trying to get YouTube window to appear rather than just a hyperlink

I like threads like this. I had no idea that Betcha By Golly had a prior title. This version by Connie is a lot better than her version of 5:30. I like the arrangement too. But , of course , I like the Stylistics much, much more.

This is an unusual thread...half about Connie Stevens and half about the Supremes Jimmy Webb album.

Which brings me to my question. I have always wondered with such great tracks to choose from, why would they select "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" as the only single from this LP? Admittedly, I have never seen or heard the score from "Pippin." But the song had a verse but no chorus, almost no melody, and was completely downbeat. I always wondered why a track like this was chosen as the lead single, especially considering it wasn't representative of the rest of the album whatsoever. Has anyone else ever thought that, or do some people really like that track?

The song, MISS THE MAN, stood out like a sore thumb on the Jimmy Webb album. It most certainly did not belong there. It was the only song on the album that was not produced by Jimmy Webb.

But,at the time, Motown was somewhat involved with PIPPIN, in that they partially financed the Broadway production. The original cast album was released on MOTOWN. Motown had some of their artists record songs from the show. The Jackson 5 recorded CORNER OF THE SKY and the SUPREMES recorded I GUESS I'll MISS THE MAN. I guess Motown's feeling was that if they could make hits out of some of the songs in the show, it would give the show a better chance of being a success.

Since the JIMMY WEBB album was the Supremes' next album release, they just crammed it in there , even though it surely did not belong on a Jimmy Webb produced album.

I am probably wrong about this fact, but I think that MISS THE MAN was the first 45 rpm released in stereo by Motown.

Milven,

Interesting...thank you. I didn't realize that track was not produced by Webb. That does give some explanation, but I wonder how Webb felt that his album was promoted by a single he wasn't involved with!

This version by Connie Stevens is nice and sounds like a mid sixties production. I prefer the Supremes version though. "I Keep it Hid" is a under recognized classic!!!!

Good question Kenneth. Webb has been pretty straight forward about his displeasure that the album didnt do better,as has Jean. I dont think Mary is particularly fond of the album, at least in part becuase the Blossoms are on it. I dont get it either, why no other single release, other than perhpas Motown was losing interest in the Supremes. 530 Plane stood a chance of being an out of left field smash, especially at that time in music.

as i remember from another forum, you can goggle Jimmy Webb and locate his fan e-mail addy. he is VERY nice and will answer questions about his projects. although he may have been disappointed back then, he is proud today about his work with motown and is happy that people still remember and ask about it. good luck

Chestersong,

Thanks for the information. I think you are correct that he was proud of his Motown output. I have the "Tunesmith" collection which is a 2-CD set of Webb songs by many different artists, and both "5:30 Plane" and "Cheap Lovin'" are included. I believe he had much to do with the song selection, and there are other tracks by Motown artists on it as well. It's a great set.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Kenneth, Vol. 1 THIS IS THE STORY has a essay written by Jim, too. I can't recall just what he says right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    Kenneth, Vol. 1 THIS IS THE STORY has a essay written by Jim, too. I can't recall just what he says right now.
    Thanks Ramone. I have my order in for Vol. 2, but haven't yet purchased Vol. 1. Have been trying to find it for less than the retail price on the Hip-O web site. I appreciate the information, thanks.

Here is an even older version of 5:30 Plane, dating back to 1969. I like it better than Connie Stevens' version , but much less than Jean's version - which, to me is the definitive version.

Walter Wanderley??? Never heard of him, but he was sure trying to copy Brasil 66, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Walter Wanderley??? Never heard of him, but he was sure trying to copy Brasil 66, wasn't he?
    I never heard of him either! When I first heard the clip, I thought maybe it was the Anita Kerr Singers.

This turned into a very interesting thread you started.

Webb very proud of his Supremes cd but not of how it did. He felt it deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Jill, sounds more like the Ray Coniff Singers......hehehehehe!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Here is an even older version of 5:30 Plane, dating back to 1969. I like it better than Connie Stevens' version , but much less than Jean's version - which, to me is the definitive version.
    I like the pictures in the video, taken when US Airports still had some style and people dressed up to board a plane.

Here's a short bio of Walter Wanderley from the semi-accurate Wikipedia:

"Walter Wanderley [[12 May 1932 – 4 September 1986) was an organist and pianist, born in Recife, Brazil and best known for his lounge and bossa nova music. Already famous in his native country by the late 1950s, he became an internationally renowned star through his collaboration with the singer Astrud Gilberto and her husband, Joćo Gilberto. During 1966–1967, he recorded three notable albums on the Verve label with the a trio consisting of Walter, Claudio Slon [[drums) and Jose Marino [[bass). These albums, Rainforest, Cheganca and Astrud Gilberto's A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness were produced in the United States by Creed Taylor, who initially brought the Trio to the U.S. to record. Wanderley's U.S. recording of Summer Samba reached #26 on the Billboard charts in the summer of 1966. After the Trio disbanded [[though they were briefly reunited in 1971 for "The Return of the Original" on Canyon Records), Wanderley himself continued to record albums on Verve, A&M/CTI, and GNP Cresendo. During this time he also made numerous personal appearances, including a concert tour of Mexico. Wanderley was known for his smooth style and mastery of the Hammond L100 organ. He died of cancer in 1986. He was married to Isaurinha Garcia, one of the most popular singers in Brazil."

From his background, I'd suspect he was more influenced by Brasil 66 than he was by the Ray Conniff or Anita Kerr Singers. This version of the song has a nice bossa nova feel. it doesn't surpass The Supremes' version of the song, but it's nice.

I'm surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned that Queen Latifah performed "Betcha By Golly Wow" with only piano accompaniment live on the Whoppi Goldberg show some decades ago. Luckily I had a VHS recorder at the ready at the time and was able to document her beautiful version.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 07-15-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Connie Stevens 5.30 Plane sounds like a possible demo for a theme to Mary Tyler Moore. I had no idea she did Betcha By Golly Wow and not bad either for 1970. Learn things all the time.
    That would have worked well for The Delphonics after Didn't I Blow Your Mind.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 07-15-2012 at 06:59 PM.

A perfect example when less is more. There is an elegant simplicity and urgency in Jean Terrell's version.

Nah - nothing against Connie but Jean's interpretation would be very hard to beat.