[REMOVE ADS]

The Greene Sisters

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...soul-117166109

Has anyone out there ever heard of the Greene Sisters? Any info on them? Are they still singing? Thanks

Don't know if they are still singing, but it is a very good album.

Produced by Jerry Williams, Jr. Arranged by Richard Rome. Engineer: Joel Fein [[Regent Sound Studio; Philadelphia, Pa.). Mastering Engineer: Paul Richmond [[Monument Recording Studio; Nashville, Tenn.). Copyist: Jack Faith. Album Co-ordinator: Yvonne Williams. Recorded at Quinvy Recording Studio, Sheffield, Alabama.
    Piano: Richard Rome / Willie Jackson. Bass: Ronnie Baker. Guitar: Norman Harris. Drums: Ronnie DeStefano. Strings: Joe D'Anofrio, Jr. and his Concert Strings. Art Direction: Aesthetics, Inc. Photography by Sigfried Halus. Copyright Manager: Lenny Mietus; N.Y.C. The Greene Sisters handled exclusively by The Jerry Williams Production, Publishing and Management Group; Nashville/New York/Hollywood.
    Comments by Swamp Dogg on The Southern Soul List [[Yahoo) 11/25/00: "The Greene Sisters of Baltimore, that's how they were usually billed. Please don't blame Richard Rome for the Shaft parallels, I thought that it could be the element to connect gospel and secular e.g., Kirk Franklin, Winans, Take 6, Andrae Crouch , etc., today. I was a little ahead of the
    game...it was coming but there were still too many old head retail gospel buyers who felt that any music suggested from the secular genre was a sure fire ticket to hell! Some r'n'b stations played it sparsely but I had to curtail that because these same people refused to buy tickets to see a gospel act that was being tainted by r'n'b exposure. This was actually my move to get some converts to gospel. You will notice that the remainder of the cuts stuck to the semi-norm although I was employed a large congregation of
    musicians. Actually, I was using the Philadelphia Symphony, only without the conductorship of Eugene Ormandy. My rhythm was the real deal Philly sound guys , e. g, Norman Harris, etc. ... the Greene Sisters, which by the way consisted of three sisters, a cousin and two friends. When they were on Hob, the father was part of the group but he bowed out after a heart attack."

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they still perform. Can't find anything on CD by them.

If anyone is wondering what the " Shaft parallels " means : it refers to the fact that the opening cut, " Theme for Sisters Greene ", is VERY similar to " Theme from Shaft " and would doubtless have attracted lawsuits had it been a hit.

I also agree that it is a fine album.