[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I hear you, Ollie. You may be right. But the next two lines -- "Some men are simple, good men -- this man wasn't one" -- reels it back into reality -- at least for me.
    I think when you start to dissect the lyrics it’s hard for the listener to understand why she misses him in the first place. Other the a shy, sad glance he didn’t really appear to have had an awful lot going for him. Potentially this might have hindered sales. Who knows?.

well and did Pippin ever really make the sensational splash of other musicals? not to my knowledge. it did well and all but i don't think it was the mega hit of Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar or Cabaret or something. it won a lot of Tonys but i don't know that it really advanced into the collective conscience of the typical american

The basic problem with the song is that it was a schmaltzy showtune. Motown was a financial back of the Broadway play and the Supreme's cover was just a tie in with the play. Jean is a fantastic singer, but this song is just awful. It has none of the Motown spark that the group and company were known for. Whoever heard this song from the musical and thought that it would be a hit must have been smoking the good stuff or a heavy, heavy drinker. No one could have made a hit out of that song, not the Supremes, not Diana Ross not anyone. Motown was musically adrift by 1972. And the only two artists who were truly flourishing at this point were the two artist who had taken full control over their careers: Marvin and Stevie.
    But listen to the original version of the song on the cast album, and tell me if you hear a hit in this song.

Wasn't "Day By Day" from GODSPELL released around the same time as "IGIMTM"? Not that "IGIMTM" screams BROADWAY.....but maybe that also was part of the problem. Think about songs from Broadway that made it big on the charts: Day By Day, HAIR, People, I Dreamed a Dream, Send in the Clowns, Memory, I Don't Know How to Love Him.....the list goes on. Those are all STRONG songs; showstoppers!

"IGIMTM" is a wet noodle against the likes of those.

since motown was backing the show, they clearly wanted to recoup some investment on it. 3 groups/artists were given songs from the show to record and release:

Sups - IGIMTM
    Jackson 5 - Corner of the sky
    Irene Ryan - No time at all

Then Diana also used Corner in her stage act and there was apparently some interest to release her live version from the Caesar album.

Corner didn't do a whole lot for the J5 either. it's a nice enough song but just not that interesting. again, i think the book for Pippin is fine and all but it isn't Hair, Grease, Cabaret, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    since motown was backing the show, they clearly wanted to recoup some investment on it. 3 groups/artists were given songs from the show to record and release:

Sups - IGIMTM
    Jackson 5 - Corner of the sky
    Irene Ryan - No time at all

Then Diana also used Corner in her stage act and there was apparently some interest to release her live version from the Caesar album.

Corner didn't do a whole lot for the J5 either. it's a nice enough song but just not that interesting. again, i think the book for Pippin is fine and all but it isn't Hair, Grease, Cabaret, etc.
    Michael Jackson also recorded the musical's MORNING GLOW. It didn't do much. But the Jacksons' CORNER OF THE SKY reached the Top 10 [soul] and Top 20 [pop].
    Last edited by reese; 06-30-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    The basic problem with the song is that it was a schmaltzy showtune. Motown was a financial back of the Broadway play and the Supreme's cover was just a tie in with the play. Jean is a fantastic singer, but this song is just awful. It has none of the Motown spark that the group and company were known for. Whoever heard this song from the musical and thought that it would be a hit must have been smoking the good stuff or a heavy, heavy drinker. No one could have made a hit out of that song, not the Supremes, not Diana Ross not anyone. Motown was musically adrift by 1972. And the only two artists who were truly flourishing at this point were the two artist who had taken full control over their careers: Marvin and Stevie.
    But listen to the original version of the song on the cast album, and tell me if you hear a hit in this song.
    Goodness me this is dreary. It really make you appreciate just what a fantastic job Jean does on the song.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    why didn’t Ted Cruz‘s father have a vasectomy before it was too late?????

you articulated much better than I exactly the reason I posted this ad. This has a odd place in my heart because it was at this point that it seemed like it was over for the group. First, the Floyd joy album cover with another personnel change, and then this awful awful awful awful awful awful awful cover full of music that would never ever ever get out of playlist for any radio station that I could think of. And then they put the single out, oh I thought, “are they kidding? “I liked the song but I couldn’t imagine it on the radio. Every once in a while I revisit this song because it reminds me so much of that summer which contained a lot of personal milestones for me. Just now I am earth the 45 to hear the mix which I had not heard in 49 years. The vocal is more upfront, the instrumental is slightly more upfront, it’s still a wretchedly constructed pop single. Why not just play first time ever and be done with it?

I don’t think that the other releases would’ve had much of an impact on this because Motown had a big enough staff and was used to plugging that many singles at a time. Lady sings the blues was a month before the single trapped, sometimes they just throw things at the wall and sees what sticks. This one didn’t stick, or as the song states, “this one, wasn’t one. “
    LOL @ TC's dad! I agree with your assessment; the Sup's version of IGIMTM should have been a tad more uptempo and a lot less 'dreamy'; I'm thinking of a production style similar to FD's 'One Less Bell', for instance. It definitely needed some sort of hook, instrumentally or vocally, to the arrangement. Yet, I still believe that the unearthing of the ad gives us ample info about what the Motown brass THOUGHT they were doing!

well and did Pippin ever really make the sensational splash of other musicals? not to my knowledge. it did well and all but i don't think it was the mega hit of Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar or Cabaret or something. it won a lot of Tonys but i don't know that it really advanced into the collective conscience of the typical american
    Pippin was rather a huge hit - running longer than my Holy Trio of Mame, South Pacific and Evita, for example. It also was much much bigger than other faves like Gypsy, Chicago, Cabaret or non-Faves such as Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar combined.

I saw the recent revival and it had its moments - IBIMTM works very well in the show and I like the song, but lyrically, it needed a lot gussied up production to smooth over the unconventional top 40 lyric. I think it could have been done as a lot of people don’t actually pay attention to the meaning of the lyrics as much as they just do the words themselves. Look at all the women that were upset by stand by your man until they realized the intent of the song what is the indicate women have to bear the burden i’m having to care for the lesser level human known as a man.

I think Motown, with the financial stake, I would’ve moved heaven and earth to get a hit record out of this song to help recoup its investment as It’s always a crapshoot launching a Broadway musical.

I can totally understand why motown went with “IGIMTM” as they weren't exactly spoilt for choice. “5.30” Plane” was about the only other song with hit potential. In contrast to “IGIMTM”, Jean’s vocals often sound quite shrill making the album an uncomfortable listening experience at times.
    I have always adored the J5 version of “Corner Of The Say”. They turn it into a real feel good song.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-01-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I can totally understand why motown went with “IGIMTM” as they weren't exactly spoilt for choice. “5.30” Plane” was about the only other song with hit potential. In contrast to “IGIMTM”, Jean’s vocals often sound quite shrill making the album an uncomfortable listening experience at times.
    I have always adored the J5 version of “Corner Of The Say”. They turn it into a real feel good song.
    i think 530 would have been a solid single. myabe cheap lovin' too. the rest - no no no

i think 530 would have been a solid single. myabe cheap lovin' too. the rest - no no no
    I don't think 5.30 was a potential hit single. It was one of the more listenable tracks on a less than inspiring album, but i don't think anyone was capable of getting any kind of hit out of that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think when you start to dissect the lyrics it’s hard for the listener to understand why she misses him in the first place. Other the a shy, sad glance he didn’t really appear to have had an awful lot going for him. Potentially this might have hindered sales. Who knows?.
    It's reality, Ollie. A lot of people in real life are in love with somebody who isn't worth a crap, yet, for whatever foolish reason, their heart overrules their head and they go right on loving him anyway. BINGO! Reality! [[Not unlike the lyrics to The Crystals' "He's A Rebel".) If IGIMTM had gotten some airplay, I still believe that a lot of people would have identified with it. [[Or, at least, the hopeless romantics)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-01-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    It's reality, Ollie. A lot of people in real life are in love with somebody who isn't worth a crap, yet, for whatever foolish reason, their heart overrules their head and they go right on loving him anyway. BINGO! Reality! [[Not unlike the lyrics to The Crystals' "He's A Rebel".) If IGIMTM had gotten some airplay, I still believe that a lot of people would have identified with it. [[Or, at least, the hopeless romantics)
    Thats very true Gary. When one is hopelessly in love your blind to that persons faults, even though they may effect you in an adverse way.
    Women have often told me they prefer a bad boy to a Mr Dependable so perhaps the lyrics played little part in the songs failure. When all is said and done, it’s a very pretty song with a sensitive vocal from jean that deserved better.