Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
see i hate this ad lol. but i work in marketing here in 2021 and what are the appropriate esthetics today might not have been in 72.

that Mothra image is a nightmare. like something out of a fever dream. and here's an idea - like write 5,000 words, up it in a pale font to make it difficult to read, wrap it all around a small photo and weird image to further erode legibility and let's take the actual product we're trying to promote [[the supremes) and relegate them to a tiny b&w image that's take on stage from a distance

brilliant lol
I’m not certain that I liked the ad when I saw it initially because it seemed off-putting- I can’t really think of another way to say it. However, I like it or not, time and effort was put into it unlike the billboard ads for if I were your woman or up the ladder to the roof or psychedelic shack. And I agree with you I do not at all Like the Mothra icon, and thank you for the good laugh. Again, however, there is some effort being put into it.

I love reading billboard reviews because so often they seem to be predicating their recommendation based on the previous releases success. Anyway, it’s just goes to show you that an exquisite recording doesn’t necessarily make an exquisite single.

I would love to know what the thinking was behind not having a follow up album. The Floy joy album came out in 72 and was certainly successful enough, and while Jimmy Webb was a big disappointment, was it time to throw in the towel? I don’t think so. And even if they were waiting because of the wondrous bad weather to hit, what if it had? They had nothing to follow it up, and no album that I’m aware of to sell off it. A decision had to have been made to not record the girls, I assume, but who where when why and how? By the time bad weather was released, diana ross was an international superstar because of lady sings the blues so the competition theory, specious as it ever was, no longer applies at all. With the failure of Jimmy Webb, I am surprised they didn’t quickly going to Nother project, I know that they didn’t have a lot of material at the time, but there was No shortage of songs being pinched in Los Angeles and New York at the time. Gamble and Huff would’ve been perfect, maybe bring in HDH sooner….I dunno, but is it just me or does it seem strange that there was nothing going on for them recording wise. The only thing I can think of is that their contract must’ve expired at some point in late 72 because that would have have been three years, and while Jean was still under contract, the group didn’t seem to be.