IMO the tempts were able to succeed because they really evolved their image and sound. their work with Norman really helped to elevate them and they reached that younger, hip audience. But that came with a downside - according to Otis they did NOT do well with their Vegas debut at [[i think) the Flamingo. Paul was drunk and their heavier songs and content didn't resonate with the audience.

The temps ran their course too. by 73 or 74, their star has faded. The group was able to continue to tour and record though because their founders [[Otis and Melvin) kept their own focus on maintaining the group. they were happy to do new things and all but continued to also just sing their hits and keep their audience happy. and those women would keep coming to their shows

I wish Mary would have focused [[during the Scherrie years) more on the longevity of the group rather than attempting to launch a solo pop career from the framework of The Supremes, a la Diana Ross. I think MSC could have continued on for years - sort of like the Pointer Sisters. the Pointers appeared on sitcoms like Gimme A Break, sang the Number song on Sesame Street [[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 10... 11, 12) and more. And they could have recorded some new things, hit the oldies circuit.