Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
i think that was part of the problem with the Madison Square Garden gig. sure they were playing a top notch venue in the largest US city. but the event positioned itself as a trip down memory lane. acts would do a handful of their good ole hits and then exit. the supremes COULD have done that - pulling out full-length versions of the hits. but instead they did their new disco numbers and cover tunes.

Without fault, it does make sense that Mary would have wanted the group to perform something "current". Even with the bill being an "oldies" revue, it made perfect sense to say, hey, we're still recording, and this is our new single.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the audience made up of mostly bikers? The Supremes were probably going to be too slick and sequinned, regardless.

Does anyone else know who else was on the MSG bill with the Supremes?
i don't know how many bikers there were, i remember Mary's book mentioning something about that. I'd guess that most of the audience just wasn't a disco crowd. If the girls had stuck to just singing their own hits and doing them more true to form, it would have probably been a big hit. but they'd rarely ever made the effort to perform their own material that way

i think Jay and the Americans were on the bill. Dion too maybe?