[REMOVE ADS]

Duane Eddy has died aged 86

Very sad to hear reports of the passing of Duane Eddy - legendary guitarist who has died at the age of 86.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/01/a...eddy-dead.html

Whilst not naturally thought of as a Motown artist, the CD era saw some unusual releases by Motown and there were some Duane Eddy albums released among these as part of licensing arrangements. See some CD covers here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...oDimiu-2oE6E8C

He has influenced so many of the great guitarists over the years. Duane Eddy always seemed to be on the radio back in the late 50s and early 60s and he made a comeback in 1975 with at least one chart hit.

Since then he has also guested on other recordings - such as by the Art Of Noise/ Tom Jones and on a Hank Marvin album.

For me his anthem is "Because They're Young" - a great piece of pop history that will always form part of life's soundtrack.

A sad day for music.

Sad day for music, but careful, they'll hang you on the cross for posting this in the Motown forum.

Wow...ironically saw his name yesterday on a list of elderly celebrities "still with us." Rest in power.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Sad day for music, but careful, they'll hang you on the cross for posting this in the Motown forum.
    Look at the flicker photos he included above --- the third one. This was released on the Motown Command Classics. I think this is where it should be located.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Very sad to hear reports of the passing of Duane Eddy - legendary guitarist who has died at the age of 86.

For me his anthem is "Because They're Young" - a great piece of pop history that will always form part of life's soundtrack.

A sad day for music.
    That is also my favorite song by him. I had it as a single when it came out and played it constantly. I found it in stereo a few weeks ago and put it on my favorites playlist and have again been playing it constantly. I am glad he made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He influenced a lot of future artists

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That is also my favorite song by him. I had it as a single when it came out and played it constantly. I found it in stereo a few weeks ago and put it on my favorites playlist and have again been playing it constantly. I am glad he made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He influenced a lot of future artists

Always loved this song, but never knew its title or artist. Thanks

Good to know I'm not the only one who really rates "Because They're Young" from Duane Eddy. I know James Darren recorded a vocal version but somehow it's not a patch on Duane's. Incidentally, the writer of "Because They're Young", Don Costa, has other Motown involvement, for example as producer and arranger on Diana Ross's "Kiss Me Now" and "You're Good My Child" and Charlene's "I've Never Been To Me".