[REMOVE ADS]

Next Motown Expanded Edition

I hope that Andy Skurow doesn't mind my putting his recent Facebook post here [I've not included the video clip from 6 years ago]:

"Six years ago today we announced Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Editions - Expanded Edition of The Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland! We loved this collection, and we know you all did too. Soon we will announce a new Expanded Edition! This time around it’s neither Diana Ross nor The Supremes, but we think it will be something you’ll love. Anyone want to guess what it is? Possibly something on your wish list? You will have to wait for an announcement in the coming months. We will neither confirm nor deny. There will be NO HINTS. That said, all guesses are welcome! ............. See you all soon!"

Adam White's April 12th West Grand Boulevard entry mentions 1 artist currently being looked at for a box set with bonus tracks.
    David Nathan mentions there is a long list of titles he'd like to request. Joe Marchese chimes in that he hopes they'll be much more to come.

Here's wishing David & Joe all the luck in the world. We are ready & willing to buy these CDs.

Wonderful! I can`t wait for more news.

My money is on DANCE PARTY by M&TV

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My money is on DANCE PARTY by M&TV
    Tell me more...

Since we're speculating.... Hmmh.... let's see... Fans have been asking for The Originals and the Jr. Walker's albums not yet on cd.
    A revised edition of My Sister Tommie is being readied for publication, but I'm not sure how much unreleased Tammi Terrell material there might be after the excellent Hip-O Select set.
    The 50th Anniversary/Singles Collection 3 cd set for Martha & the Vandellas had stereo bonus tracks, but Lost & Found was mostly mono so releasing stereo versions of bonus tracks from an album's timeline would be attractive to many fans.
    According to remarks made by Keith Hughes & Paul Nixon what seems like eons ago, plans had been underway to release remaining tracks from Brenda Holloway [perhaps the Every Little Bit Hurts album mono & stereo+ still vaulted tracks].
    Soul Music Records has already given us a set of early Jr. Walker albums and the Spellbound Brenda Holloway set.....
    We've also seen the release of the exhaustive [44 cd] Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons box set which included a cd devoted to previously unreleased Motown sessions. Perhaps permission is coming to release these with additional tracks for an EE [not likely, but wishful thinking].
    Those are my first guesses.

I saw The Originals live back in the early '70s. [[The concert was supposed to be the Undisputed Truth. Without warning, Motown sent The Originals instead. No matter. The Originals were spiffy and just as classy live as they were on record. That's why it befuddles me as to why The Originals have been so ignored on CD reissues. Sure, "Green Grow The Lilacs" saw a CD release, and "Portrait Of The Originals" was honored with at least 3 CD releases, along with a CD release for "Down To Love Town" and "California Sunset". Strangely, however, "Naturally Together" and "Definitions" have been totally snubbed, as have "Game Called Love" and "Communique". Also, still waiting patiently for a CD appearance of the 45-only track "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose".
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-01-2024 at 01:55 AM.

Pretty sure I've seen information that they're working on a Teena Marie CD issue. In that case, probably not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Pretty sure I've seen information that they're working on a Teena Marie CD issue. In that case, probably not for me.
    See post #2. Adam White said so in the most recent West Grand Boulevard but as a box set with bonus tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    See post #2. Adam White said so in the most recent West Grand Boulevard but as a box set with bonus tracks.
    That's it - has to be where I saw it - though post 2 doesn't mention Teena Marie by name.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-01-2024 at 03:26 PM.

If it`s Teena Marie then they can shove it!

While I certainly appreciate Teena Marie's talent and recognize that she does have a fanbase, I agree with Roger that I wouldn't be interested in such a set. Plus, I wouldn't see a Teena Marie set as "something you’ll love" for those who follow Andy Skurow's Facebook posts where his focus tends to be Classic Motown. Obviously anything is possible, but I would think whatever he is referring to is probably from the 1960-1972 era--but likely not as high profile an artist as Diana Ross or The Supremes. The Expanded Editions have mainly been DRATS, so that means there are many more artists' albums they could expand upon. Although Adam White did recently mention Teena Marie and a box set [which may certainly be in the pipeline for an imminent release], a box set and "a new Expanded Edition" are two different things in my book.

I think MaryBrewster may have a point that it could be Martha and The Vandellas getting this EE to capitalize not only on Martha's recent star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but also because I believe there is still a moderate amount of unreleased Vandellas tracks left to be released. Perhaps an expanded edition of "Dance Party" is in the works?

Philles/Motown Gary mentioned The Originals. I would *love* a full-Motown career boxed set from The Originals. He was right when he said they have been "so ignored on CD releases" and I would love a big box set on them.

Hi Dan, thank you for calming me down. I am hoping like you for it to be a classic era package rather than a more recent one. Which artists still have plenty of unreleased songs. Chris Clark, Marvin Gaye, Brenda Holloway, Martha & Vandellas, Jimmy Ruffin, or Stevie Wonder?

I'm a HUGE fan of Teena Marie. I was able to see her in concert three times, twice with Rick James! I still have mint condition copies of all her vinyl albums and everything else on cd. As a fan I would love and welcome a new release!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'm a HUGE fan of Teena Marie. I was able to see her in concert three times, twice with Rick James! I still have mint condition copies of all her vinyl albums and everything else on cd. As a fan I would love and welcome a new release!
    Teena Marie obviously had/has a big following and plenty of talent but I'm not a fan. Her voice grates on me so I do struggle to listen to her. I'd much prefer a set on another artist.

MR&V might be a good idea for expanded though "Dance Party" wouldn't be my first choice. I'd like an Originals set. How much is left in the vault for any of the classic artists mentioned? I'm guessing not that much. Maybe there's an untapped resource post the Motown Unreleased years.

I second this. Her songwriter's pen and musicianship, not to mention her idiosyncratic vocals, made her one of the most exciting things to happen to Motown in the '70s. Bring her on, I say.

Maybe an expanded edition of the ABC album by the J5 ?

I saw her live at the New Orleans Jazz Fest around 2000 and she was an amazing bundle of energy on stage. I can listen to I Need Your Lovin', Behind the Groove or Square Biz anytime! She also made the news while there, seems she went to ER the night before with flu symptoms. The entire hospital staff who treated her raved about how nice she was and so generous, signing autographs and giving passes to her show. She seemed like a real sweetie.

The Originals please...

The Originals - Four Classic Albums On 2CDs Expanded Editions [[inc Bonus Tracks) - Volume One

Green Grow The Lilacs
    Portrait Of The Originals
    Naturally Together
    Def-I-Ni-Tions

The Originals - Four Classic Albums On 2CDs Expanded Editions [[inc Bonus Tracks) - Volume Two

Game Called Love
    California Sunset
    Communique
    Down To Love Town

...thank you...!

Grape
    Last edited by grapevine; Today at 02:26 PM.

After putting much thought into it, I can only think of one project. We've gotten nearly every new track from the popular artists of the Detroit era. Unless they utilize alternative versions/mixes they couldn't possibly expand many of the classic albums. However, there is one we never received due to many an obstacle...."Ivy Jo Is In This Bag".