[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Personally speaking i wouldn't have put it in such graphic terms, but i do agree with you in principal.
    Everyone on here knows how much i love, adore and admire Ms Diana Ross. I feel blessed and honoured to be referred to as her friend for over 30 glorious years, but even i have to concede this to Stephanie Mills whose version just has to be the definitive version. Diana does a mighty fine version, but Ms Mills owns this song game set and match.

I think this is the first time im disagreeing with yoiu my dear one but im not a fan of the Stephanie Mills version at all. When I saw the 1979 TV Show on HBO of Miss Ross and the veins in her neck bulging out as she belted out the wiz I think i went to Heaven. Im glad i didnt. Thats my fanal destination and yours too but not for many many many more years. xx

Agreed it’s one of the most uplifting songs of all time Diana has a beauty in her voice unmatched ��

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think this is the first time im disagreeing with yoiu my dear one but im not a fan of the Stephanie Mills version at all. When I saw the 1979 TV Show on HBO of Miss Ross and the veins in her neck bulging out as she belted out the wiz I think i went to Heaven. Im glad i didnt. Thats my fanal destination and yours too but not for many many many more years. xx
    I agree with you regarding Ms Ross's full blooded performance on the Vegas show. She was on fire around that time and she knew it too.
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. It's very much a close run thing with me too, but i have to give the nod to Ms Mills who really made that role her own when she was a young performer.
    Hope all is well with you my dear friend.

I agree with you regarding Ms Ross's full blooded performance on the Vegas show. She was on fire around that time and she knew it too.
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. It's very much a close run thing with me too, but i have to give the nod to Ms Mills who really made that role her own when she was a young performer.
    79 was just a spectacular period for Miss Ross. live and in studio her voice was perfect

Home has never been a song i cared much about, one way or another. i agree Diana gives a passionate performance. But let's face it - in 1978 you would EXPECT diana to deliver that. of course she would sing the heck out of it.

but stephanie was young, inexperienced and still delivered that powerhouse! that's exceptional.

I have no complaints my dear Bluebrock. I feel very blessed we surviced this but Im not ready to take my mask off just yet. Sending you love and light.

xxx

"Home" was to "THE WIZ" what "And I Am Telling You" was to "DREAMGIRLS". The masterpiece of the play, and later, movie. Watching a young Jennifer Holliday BELT out that number is something that can't ever been compared or topped. Jennifer Hudson gave it a go, and it was fabulous. But Holliday peed all over that stage with that number.

I'm not saying Diana's "Home" was bad. By a long shot. Like others have said, she was really in her prime around this time. But Stephanie OWNED that song and made it hers.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Home" was to "THE WIZ" what "And I Am Telling You" was to "DREAMGIRLS". The masterpiece of the play, and later, movie. Watching a young Jennifer Holliday BELT out that number is something that can't ever been compared or topped. Jennifer Hudson gave it a go, and it was fabulous. But Holliday peed all over that stage with that number.

I'm not saying Diana's "Home" was bad. By a long shot. Like others have said, she was really in her prime around this time. But Stephanie OWNED that song and made it hers.
    Have to agree with you regarding "And i'm telling you". Jennifer Holliday will NEVER be topped despite creditable attempts by Jennifer Hudson and Whitney Houston, and i say this as someone who found Ms Holliday to be one of the worst examples of a human being i have ever encountered. I cannot tell you how rude that woman was, and you would not believe what she said to me when i complimented her on her vocal capabilities. A totally ghastly woman, but an absolute peerless vocalist.

I tend to believe that the artist that originates the song usually owns it. I do appreciate and love the covers especially when they are reinvented or interpreted in a different way. I know it’s discussed in a different thread but I love the Tops Reach Out and the A&S reinvention of it for Diana. To me, People and The Way We Were belong to Barbra and to me, her version of Somewhere is the definitive version.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I tend to believe that the artist that originates the song usually owns it. I do appreciate and love the covers especially when they are reinvented or interpreted in a different way. I know it’s discussed in a different thread but I love the Tops Reach Out and the A&S reinvention of it for Diana. To me, People and The Way We Were belong to Barbra and to me, her version of Somewhere is the definitive version.
    Barbra's version of Somewhere is one of my very favourite performances of all time. The song has always greatly moved me, but when i heard Bab's version it took me to paradise and back. I told her this when i worked with her 2 or 3 years ago, and she seemed genuinely delighted when i told her how much her version meant to me.
    Nowadays i don't listen to any other version. I want that recording to be played at my funeral.

Barbra's version of Somewhere is one of my very favourite performances of all time. The song has always greatly moved me, but when i heard Bab's version it took me to paradise and back. I told her this when i worked with her 2 or 3 years ago, and she seemed genuinely delighted when i told her how much her version meant to me.
    Nowadays i don't listen to any other version. I want that recording to be played at my funeral.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It is absolutely spine tingling, in my opinion. I loved the two return to Broadway albums.

Have to agree with you regarding "And i'm telling you". Jennifer Holliday will NEVER be topped despite creditable attempts by Jennifer Hudson and Whitney Houston, and i say this as someone who found Ms Holliday to be one of the worst examples of a human being i have ever encountered. I cannot tell you how rude that woman was, and you would not believe what she said to me when i complimented her on her vocal capabilities. A totally ghastly woman, but an absolute peerless vocalist.
    About two decades or so ago, I shared a stage with JH for a small Pride celebration in Saint Paul, MN. This was around the time that she REALLY lost a lot of weight. She was late, and was VERY diva-ish. All I could think about was how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of Broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the Midwest.

About two decades or so ago, I shared a stage with JH for a small Pride celebration in Saint Paul, MN. This was around the time that she REALLY lost a lot of weight. She was late, and was VERY diva-ish. All I could think about was how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of Broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the Midwest.
    She was truly dreadful, and treated everyone like dogshit. It is such a pity that someone with such a God given talent could be such a vile and loathsome human being. I kept my composure during the time i spent with her, but i made a vow that i would rather French kiss a family of rabid skunks than work with that woman again.
    I am sorry you experienced similar behaviour during your encounter.

She was truly dreadful, and treated everyone like dogshit. It is such a pity that someone with such a God given talent could be such a vile and loathsome human being. I kept my composure during the time i spent with her, but i made a vow that i would rather French kiss a family of rabid skunks than work with that woman again.
    I am sorry you experienced similar behaviour during your encounter.
    Anecdotal evidence from friends & acquaintances here in the NYC area who work production have also reported the following as HMM's [[hot, miserable messes): Van Morrison, 'Miami' Steve Van Zant, Judy Collins, William Shatner, Dionne Warwick, Stephanie Mills, Aretha Franklin, Meatloaf, Damn Shirley, Jon Bon Jovi ... probably more, but these come first to mind.

how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the midwest.
    boom,splat, plop

I wonder, Mr. B, if you have any ideas about what what makes some stars become such ... inhospitable ... persons? The stress of public expectations is of course one idea. There seems to be a larger percentage of ... inhospitable ... public persons than of private persons [[though of course we all have run into equally shite coworkers!) Have you ever assisted Marianne Faithfull in her perambulations? AND ... do you celebrate Father's Day in the UK?