[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still think the definitive book on Florence Ballard is the book by Randall Wilson. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was written as a final thesis for his degree. I appreciate it more than others [[and I am surprised that there aren't more "others") because it looks at the story subjectively. Yes, Wilson is a Ballard fan, but he doesn't let his admiration for Flo get in the way of telling a truthful story, filled with actual facts; the good, the bad, and everything else in between. I was always fascinated with all of the figures of what he was able to produce; how much Flo got for her exit at Motown, what she received for her various lawsuits, etc.

I got my copy decades ago; had to special order through Waldenbooks or B Dalton, and it took MONTHS to arrive. This was pre-internet of course. At the time, it was a new angle, not told by "Dreamgirl".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I still think the definitive book on Florence Ballard is the book by Randall Wilson. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was written as a final thesis for his degree. I appreciate it more than others [[and I am surprised that there aren't more "others") because it looks at the story subjectively. Yes, Wilson is a Ballard fan, but he doesn't let his admiration for Flo get in the way of telling a truthful story, filled with actual facts; the good, the bad, and everything else in between. I was always fascinated with all of the figures of what he was able to produce; how much Flo got for her exit at Motown, what she received for her various lawsuits, etc.

I got my copy decades ago; had to special order through Waldenbooks or B Dalton, and it took MONTHS to arrive. This was pre-internet of course. At the time, it was a new angle, not told by "Dreamgirl".
    I ordered FOREVER FAITHFUL back in the 1990 after seeing an ad in GOLDMINE. I actually still have the thank-you card that Randall included in my copy. Later I ordered a 1999 updated edition.

Yes, it did begin as Randall's master thesis at the University of Maryland. I haven't read it in years. Might be time to pull it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I ordered FOREVER FAITHFUL back in the 1990 after seeing an ad in GOLDMINE. I actually still have the thank-you card that Randall included in my copy. Later I ordered a 1999 updated edition.

Yes, it did begin as Randall's master thesis at the University of Maryland. I haven't read it in years. Might be time to pull it out again.
    I didn't realize there was an updated version? Was there a lot more added from the original?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I didn't realize there was an updated version? Was there a lot more added from the original?
    Thumbing through it, I don't think any of the book itself was revised.

The original book was retained but added was a new intro from the author as well as a new foreword from Tom Ingrassia. At the end was a new section of mostly familiar photos but also a 1998 one of the author with Mary.

There was also a 1998 Supremes discography detailing songs Flo either led or stood out on. Also listed were her ABC recordings, which at the time had not yet been released [[except for the two singles).

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thumbing through it, I don't think any of the book itself was revised.

The original book was retained but added was a new intro from the author as well as a new foreword from Tom Ingrassia. At the end was a new section of mostly familiar photos but also a 1998 one of the author with Mary.

There was also a 1998 Supremes discography detailing songs Flo either led or stood out on. Also listed were her ABC recordings, which at the time had not yet been released [[except for the two singles).
    I must have the updated version because I recall the discography.