[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Vandellas album

Vandellas album

Hello, members. I have just seen two articles that talk about a Vandellas album called "Wild One". While I know "Wild One" is a song on the album, Dance Party, I didn't know about an album by the same name...possibly unreleased? Or non-existent? Thanks so much for your input!

I'll go with non-existent, unless it's an obscure compilation. Additionally, there's always a possibility that Motown cataloged an lp with that title but never actually released it, revising the lp title to 'Dance Party', but that's just conjecture on my part!

Some "Wild One" singles that actually have text on the label saying something like "Taken from the G915 album WILD ONE." Had the single been more successful I think the album would have come out under that title. But since it wasn't, it was put out under the title DANCE PARTY.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Some "Wild One" singles that actually have text on the label saying something like "Taken from the G915 album WILD ONE." Had the single been more successful I think the album would have come out under that title. But since it wasn't, it was put out under the title DANCE PARTY.
    I have a sneaky feeling Martha may have released an album called Wild One for one of those -re-record labels in the 80's not certain but it sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I have a sneaky feeling Martha may have released an album called Wild One for one of those -re-record labels in the 80's not certain but it sounds familiar.
    I just checked the Discogs website for Martha Reeves' albums and there's no release titled Wild One from the '80s [unless it's a bootleg]. As others have pointed out, some copies of the single "Wild One" [as well as the flip side of the song, "Dancing Slow"] mention that it's from an album of the same name. When "Wild One" failed to become a major hit in 1964, the album was released the following year under the title Dance Party.

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 05-25-2021 at 02:06 PM.

My 45 of "Wild One" says taken from the LP "Wild One" & reese is correct. The LP name was changed when the 45 didn't hit as big .

Could they possibly mean "Wild Night"?

I've seen several low budget compilations associated with Martha with that title.

Thanks so much! I thought it may have been unreleased, but I like the idea that the name could have been "developed" into be Dance Party.

Wonderful explanation! I appreciate your time and input. That must be the story!

Wow, that's very interesting.

I’ll say it again! Reese knows everything!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm absolutely convinced this is exactly what happened, as I, too, remember seeing the reference to a slating of the next upcoming LP for Martha and The Vandellas titled as "Wild One".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm absolutely convinced this is exactly what happened, as I, too, remember seeing the reference to a slating of the next upcoming LP for Martha and The Vandellas titled as "Wild One".
    Further into the investigation of the actual track Wild One show the label were pretty positive that it would hit as they spent lots of time and money producing many mixes that remain in the vault, in fact having checked there appears to have been two different mixes used across the same Gordy 45 release of this track although there doesn't seem to mention of that anywhere in the discographies.

Would love to hear the different mixes of the song. It's one of the songs that I wish charted higher than it did. Although it didn't sound very good live as there was too much going on in the song. Would the cover of the album been different if they did call it Wild One? The cover as it is and the title kinda work together, although a photo of martha and the vandellas would have been better.

I always preferred photos of the artists on the LP covers and the whole LP of "Dance Party" was great.