[REMOVE ADS]

Junior Walker - 70's Albums on CD / iTunes

I'm a huge Junior Walker fan and I tend to be partial to his 70's work. I think it's absolutely insane that no albums from this period have been remastered or re-released in a digital form. There are so many great album tracks from this period, just a short list includes:

Killing Me Softly With His Song
    Boogie Down
    I Ain't That Easy To Lose
    I Don't Want To Do Wrong
    Bristol's Way
    Still Water Medley
    I Don't Need No Reason
    It's Alright, Do What You Gotta Do
    Right On Brothers & Sisters
    Pieces Of A Man
    Feel Like Makin' Love
    Sax Appeal
    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
    Darling Come Back Home
    Whopper Bopper Show Stopper
    Leap & Peep
    I Could Never Love Another [[After Loving You)

Why have these albums not been re-released? I know that Smokey Robinson is a bigger artist, but seeing the speed at which his solo albums have been re-released lately, it makes me wonder if Junior Walker could get the same kind of treatment [[only with a few bonus tracks!)

Ive never understood why Jrs later albums are not on CD. Rainbow Funk, Moody Jr etc are masterpieces. I agree about the Smokey albums being rushed out. The 1st two are in the bargain bin in my local store already. Bring on Mr Autrey De Walt...Paulo xxxx

I sent an email to Harry Weinger at Motown a few months ago about the Jr. Walker catalog and how much I loved his 1970's albums. He replied that he had been interested in doing something with the catalog for a long time. Not sure if anything will come of it, but you may want to send an email. Maybe we could start a campaign to free Jr. Walker from the vaults.

I'm a huge Junior Walker fan and would love to see his 70s albums released on CD or at the very least made available for download. To my knowledge, his 1970 album "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" [[aka "What Does It Take To Win Your Love") is the only one of his 70s album to have ever been released on CD and that one has been out of print for a very long time. For that matter, "Shotgun" is the only one of Junior's excellent "all killer, no filler" 60s albums that's still in print. It would be great if we could somehow get more of his recordings made available.

According to Amazon, there is a CD being released on June 27 2011, called 'Back street boogie' on Wounded Bird records. There are no tracks listed so far, but the price [[today) is 11.81.

Name:  Walker, Back Street Boogie.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  38.2 KB

Back Street Boogie
    Whitfield Records WB 56 668, WHK 3331 ©1979

1 Back Street Boogie
    Written-By – Norman Whitfield

2 Girl I Wanna Marry You
    Written-By, Producer – Mark Kenoly

3 Wishing On A Star
    Written-By – Billie Calvin

4 Hole In The Wall
    Written-By – Norman Whitfield, Rochelle Runnells

5 Don't Let Me Go Astray

6 Tiger In My Tank

7 Sax Attack
    Written-By – Autry DeWalt, James Hockaday

Awesome news, guys. I have "Back Street Boogie," and there are a couple of tracks on it that I really like. I'm still holding out hope for a Hip-O box; I also wrote Harry last year about a Junior Walker set and got roughly the same response, but Bear Family wrote back and said that Junior didn't have "enough material" to merit a Bear Family box [[I disagree)...

That's excellent that Back Street Boogie is being released.

I think I'll also send Harry Weinger an e-mail regarding the release of Junior's seventies Motown albums. Let the campaign begin!

RossHolloway Guest
    Why not give Jr. Walker and the All Stars the same treatment that was given to David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks? I would imagine that it would have to be a two or three volume set. But it would make a lot of people happy.

there were 2 two fer releases in the uk around 2003/4 you can get them on amazon uk links for both below.

shotgun/soulsession
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shotgun-Soul...4363957&sr=1-6
    home cooking/road runner
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Runner-...363957&sr=1-10

tamla617...yes, I have those..BUT WE want those lovely later albums on our CD players!.....Nice to see Back Street Boogie making an appearance too!..Paulo xxx

i know i just slung that in incase anyone was wanting them

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    there were 2 two fer releases in the uk around 2003/4 you can get them on amazon uk links for both below.

shotgun/soulsession
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shotgun-Soul...4363957&sr=1-6
    home cooking/road runner
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Runner-...363957&sr=1-10

In one of the reviews on Amazon someone writes that in April 1966 James Graves, who played the drums, left the group. Do we know who replaced him in the group and the circumstances behind why he left?

RossHolloway Guest
    I just read this on Wikipedia:

Junior Walker died on November 23, 1995 in Battle Creek, Michigan of cancer at the age of 64.[1] He had been inducted into the Rhythm and Blues Foundation that year. Drummer James Graves died in 1967 in a car accident, and guitarist Willie Woods in 1997 at age 60. Victor "Vic" Thomas died Sunday, November 28, 2010 in Battle Creek, MI. Tony Washington is the only Original surviving band member of the four that Harvey Fuqua signed to His Label in 1961, and took to Motown with him.

I had no idea that James Greaves passed in 1967 and that Vic Thomas just died this past November!

I wonder if 'Love Hangover' and 'Feel Like Makin' Love' are from the same sessions. They're very similar.