[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smark21 Guest

Shirelles/Florence Greenberg musical Baby It's You gets poor review

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/04/2...ml?ref=theater

To make things worse, the producers couldn't secure the rights for Will You Love Me Tomorrow.

Most of the reviews were poor. With such bad reviews, it probably will not be around for long. But if you like the music, the music industry, the Shirelles, or the music of the era, you will probably like the show. If you don't watch the show critically to see its flaws, but just watch it for the enjoyment, you will probably like it.

There will probably be a lot of empty seats now that the poor reviews are out. I would not mind seeing it again if there are discount seats.

milven, is the show actually on Broadway? How would you describe it? Also, I am curious as to how they couldn't get
    the rights to Will You Love Me Tomorrow? That's surprising!

Looking at photos on the review it looks more like a parody. I don't know why they don't study old film footage of the
    girl groups instead of doing the hokey routines that look ridiculous. Usually the lead singer had a mic and all the
    backups were around one mic.

It is actually on Broadway. I did not watch it with a critical eye - but just for pure enjoyment. I am also curious that they could not get the rights to TOMORROW. I describe it as better than a jukebox musical since it did have a book, which was about Florence Greenburg. But the way that they used some of the songs to move the story forward were a little forced

When did it open? How long will it probably last if the reviews are bad?

Randy, the "Daily News" gave it a horrible review a few days ago.

Marc Taylor

What a shame! I absolutely love the Shirelles and the whole Scepter Records story. Things like that just don't happen
    anymore.

The above review gives the impression Florence Greenberg and Luther Dixon had a romantic relationship; to my knowledge
    they did not.

The play opened Wednesday night. I don't know if Florence and Luther had a relationship in real life, but in the play they were lovers and business associates. Their relationship started while Flo was still married.

Critics are not as powerful as they used to be. If the producers have enough money for a commercial campaign, they could keep it open.

Hello all ..

It seems that DIONNE WARWICK[[E) is sueing the producers of this show for "Using her likeness and story without permission".

http://www.singersroom.com/news/7062...sing-Her-Story

I have to say I don't understand her position. I can understand that if she is mis-represented that she could have grounds for complaint but this action of hers seems to be due to that fact that she has been included in the storyline of this production. I would think that if her complaint is upheld it would mean that no-one in the future could ever write any historical drama that includes living historical figures.

What a strange world we live in.

Roger

There must be some very rich lawyers about. The whole concept of suing for every little thing stinks.

I was surprised to see that Beverly Lee of the Shirelles was suing as well. This musical has been in the works for quite a while. I think it might have even ran briefly on the West Coast. I would have assumed that clearances would have been sought a long time ago.

I bought a ticket to see the show over Memorial Day weekend. I hope it will still be running.
    Last edited by reese; 04-29-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    What a shame! I absolutely love the Shirelles and the whole Scepter Records story. Things like that just don't happen
    anymore.

The above review gives the impression Florence Greenberg and Luther Dixon had a romantic relationship; to my knowledge
    they did not.
    I recall reading a Tommy Hunt interview where he mentioned that he was reluctant to sign with Scepter because Florence did not like him. He said that Luther told him not to worry because Florence was "his woman", and would do what he told her to.

Believe me They Did! I used to work there. It was no secret at the Label.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Hello all ..

It seems that DIONNE WARWICK[[E) is suing the producers of this show for "Using her likeness and story without permission".
    Nothing negative was said about her in the play. In fact, her name and likeness probably took up only about five minutes of the play. The story is about Sceptor and she was a big part of Sceptor. I can see suing if she was portrayed negatively and wrongly. Its all about the money. Dionne and the others could have sued a few years ago when the play was introduced in Pasadena. Why did they wait until it hit the Great White Way? Waiting for a bigger cash settlement??

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Nothing negative was said about her in the play. In fact, her name and likeness probably took up only about five minutes of the play. The story is about Sceptor and she was a big part of Sceptor. I can see suing if she was portrayed negatively and wrongly. Its all about the money. Dionne and the others could have sued a few years ago when the play was introduced in Pasadena. Why did they wait until it hit the Great White Way? Waiting for a bigger cash settlement??
    Dionne loves money and she has over 2 million in back taxes she owes to California so she needs to do everything possible to get out of debt.

I read a review in one NY paper which gave it a mixed review-praised the music and one perfomrer in particular-it was certainly better than Spiderman. The main criticsm seemed to be it lacked a chohesive story line. But some successful musicals have suffered from same issue. If the music and performers shine overall, it may succeed.

I wonder if there are any plans to record this? Does a musical have to be a major hit to have it recorded? Don't know the politics of that business. I'm sure the current economy may play into this.

I imagine it will be recorded if it hasnt been. I think the trend has been to record, at least for posterity sake.

I think they should revise the script and have Florence become a member of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I wonder if there are any plans to record this? Does a musical have to be a major hit to have it recorded? Don't know the politics of that business. I'm sure the current economy may play into this.
    The original cast recording of Baby It’s You! is scheduled to be released on June 14 by Universal Music Group’s Verve label. It was recorded the week of April 18, and was produced by Richard Perry .

The show featured classic hits such as “Dedicated to the One I Love,” “Soldier Boy,” “Duke of Earl,” “He’s So Fine,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “It’s My Party,” “Louie Louie,” “Mama Said,” “Shout,” “Tonight’s The Night,” “I Met Him on a Sunday,” “Rockin’ Robin” and “Twist and Shout.”

Since it has already been recorded, I doubt that its release will be cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_moulton View Post
    Believe me They Did! I used to work there. It was no secret at the Label.

Now this is news! I guess it explains how he showed up on the FRONT cover with the Shirelles on one of their albums now. LOL!

I just looked at a marquee that they used in this show and they have "Ron Isley" and not "the Isley Brothers" as starring in a mythical concert with the Shirelles. IF they are making huge mistakes this, then I can understand any poor reviews it may get.

I worked with Shirley on the Tj Lubinsky PBS Show and we were talking about the Scepter days and Florence. She spoke very highly of Her as did I. Florence was an amazing strong Passionate person and being in Music Business world that is dominated by men was truly a feat for her. Believe me When She needed to be strong about something No One had a bigger pair then her. I really admired her for that. I will have to see the show and see how close they come to what she was like and the girls. I wonder if they have someone who plays Alan Freed's wife Inga? She worked there and was part of the team. A lot of happy memories there.

I didn't know that Alan Freed's wife worked for Sceptor. Was she in charge of the payola department?

I don't think that she was portrayed in the play. I think most people on this board would like the play in spite of the reviews.

Just got an e-mail from a friend in LA who is very critical of shows. He saw the play in Pasadena and said this:

... I liked the play for the same reason you did -- it was about our era and its music and the record industry. But it was awful as a play, and I'm amazed it got to Broadway. There was virtually no story. For example, you might think they'd go into the relationships among the girls, but either there was no drama to write about, or the producers thought the story they had was sufficient. But seeing that music performed live made it a fun evening.
    Last edited by milven; 05-01-2011 at 05:37 PM.

And why is Beverley suing? Didn't they get her permission to use the name "Shirelles"?

Did anyone read Genya Ravan's book, which came out a few years ago? She says Goldie & the Gingerbreads almost signed
    with Sceptor or actually did, but the night before they recorded Luther tried to rape her. She told him he'd better get her
    out of the contract.

Hi Milven, We didn't have a payola dept. Inga was Florence's Personal secretary

Hi tom_moulton, Shirley is a very dear friend. When did you work at Sceptor/Wand? Were you there when the Rocky
    Fellers were? I know them also. I was always curious why the label didn't really get behind them. They could've
    exploded the way the Osmonds and Jackson 5 later did.

Hi tom_moulton, Shirley is a very dear friend. When did you work at Sceptor/Wand? Were you there when the Rocky
    Fellers were? I know them also. I was always curious why the label didn't really get behind them. They could've
    exploded the way the Osmonds and Jackson 5 later did.
    Hey Randy,
    Could you update us on the Rocky Fellers? What are they up to these days? Any members pass away? Do they still perform?

They don't perform together although I wish they would. Tony Maligmat, the second eldest brother, is deceased. He passed
    away a few years ago. He still worked in music. "Jun" or Junior, the eldest, lives in Calif. He takes care of their elderly
    mother. Albert and Eddie, the two younger, live in Hawaii. Albert performs regularly as a singer. Eddie was playing bass
    for Don Ho before he passed away.

They don't perform together although I wish they would. Tony Maligmat, the second eldest brother, is deceased. He passed
    away a few years ago. He still worked in music. "Jun" or Junior, the eldest, lives in Calif. He takes care of their elderly
    mother. Albert and Eddie, the two younger, live in Hawaii. Albert performs regularly as a singer. Eddie was playing bass
    for Don Ho before he passed away.
    Thank you for that update, Randy. Who sang lead on "Killer Joe".....a great song, I might add.

Albert did! He was the main lead singer although Eddie also did some. Also, my above post doesn't read well. It was Don
    Ho who passed away--Eddie Maligmat was his bass player for quite some time.
    They would probably get together for a PBS special, but no one has called back. I left info. for TJ and Henry DeLuca
    about having the Rocky Fellers perform.

Hi Randy, I can mention the group to TJ if you like. I wasn't there when the Rockyfellas were there.

Mr. Moulton since you have TJ's ear, and if I'm not being too inpertinent, I want the 5 Stairsteps or at least Clarence Burke!

I read an interview awhile ago where Shirley said that they felt betrayed by Florence. They looked on her as a Mother figure and when they turned 21 there was no money. Has she changed her mind? mellowed?

Can someone tell me when approximately did Scepter/Wand Records fold?

Florence retired around 1976 or 1977. She sold the Sceptor catalogue to a re-issue company. I think by then the company only had a catalogue and no artists, so, in effect, I guess that is when it folded.

Shirley has not changed her view on what happened with their money. According to what she has said, Florence used their
    money to try to promote other artists. Those other artists didn't do well. She [[Florence) ended up spending; losing a lot
    trying to get hits. The business changed with the British Invasion and other than Dionne Warwick she didn't have any
    hit-makers. She tried getting into white artists, but didn't have success there either. BJ Thomas had some hits with
    Scepter, but that was about it.
    In '63 and '64 I didn't know why she didn't really get behind the Rocky Fellers. The four Filipino brothers and their
    father were doing a lot of work via TV, nightclubs. They played Vegas, Miami Beach; many big show rooms.
    Dinah Shore really liked them and was responsible for them coming to the U.S. to perform.

By the way, Florence did ask Shirley how she could say all those things about her and Shirley told her "Tell me what I said
    that isn't true and I'll take it back". Florence changed the subject.
    I think Marc Taylor did an extensive interview with Shirley in his newspaper and alot of this is included.

The Tony Nominations were just released and BABY ITS YOU received only one nomination for Beth Leavel, who portrayed Florence Greenburg.

Here's the opening of a review featured in the Orlando Sentinel...

"As the story of the Shirelles, baby it's who?" by Chris Jones, Trubune Newspapers Critic

Oh, the wretched unfairness of it all. Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons get a thrilling jukebox celebration. Elvis, Johnny
    Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis at least had their music treated with respect and artistry. But the Shirelles, one
    of the greatest girl groups of all time [[heck, they were even covered by the Beatles), get a show of such total ineptitude
    and cynical profiteering that your mouth pretty much dangles open in disbelief for the duration of teh entire tawdry
    proceedings.

And on it goes!!!!

Okay I went back threw this thread to find out, Who is Shirley? Is it Shirley Alston Reeves from the Shirelles?

Yes; I know of someone who saw it and said music and performers thrilling--story line bad. They could still fix the show; look at Spidey!!

It was. The critics may be negative because they are comparing it to JERSEY BOYS which was the story of the Four Seasons using their music.

BABY ITS YOU is not the story of the SHIRELLES, although they are a big part of the story. It is the story of a bored NJ housewife, who accidentally gets involved and fascinated with the music business, starts her own label, and signs her daughter's classmates [[the Shirelles) to the label. It is the story of Florence and her Sceptor label.

There was as much conflict within the Shirelles as there was within the Supremes. It would make a good movie or musical. But this musical is not about the Shirelles and that is why their characters were not fleshed out in the book. The story was about Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes; I know of someone who saw it and said music and performers thrilling--story line bad. They could still fix the show; look at Spidey!!
    Not Really. Spiderman was in previews and never officially opened. Its opening kept being postponed. BABY IT'S YOU had its official opening and usually the show is locked in after it opens. Of course, there are exceptions to everything

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It was. The critics may be negative because they are comparing it to JERSEY BOYS which was the story of the Four Seasons using their music.

BABY ITS YOU is not the story of the SHIRELLES, although they are a big part of the story. It is the story of a bored NJ housewife, who accidentally gets involved and fascinated with the music business, starts her own label, and signs her daughter's classmates [[the Shirelles) to the label. It is the story of Florence and her Sceptor label.

There was as much conflict within the Shirelles as there was within the Supremes. It would make a good movie or musical. But this musical is not about the Shirelles and that is why their characters were not fleshed out in the book. The story was about Florence.
    However the posters advertising the show around NYC are claiming the show is about The Shirrelles and the woman who discovered them. A bit misleading when as the NY Times critic pointed out, The Shirelles are essentially background singers in a show that's ostensibly about them. I get the feeling this show will close by the time The Tonys roll around next month,or at best right after the Tonys.

Well , the Tonys have come and gone , and the show is still on Broadway doing well enough to meet its nut. This week, Shirley Alston Reeves will be performing on the stage after the show ends. Evidently, it has her endorsement.

While professional critics may have not liked it, people in the music industry and people who like the music of this era are enjoying it. Seeing Shirley perform after the show is a good reason to see the show again

Original Shirelles Member
    Shirley Alston Reeves Visits Baby It's You!

By Krissie Fullerton
    16 Jun 2011

The original lead singer of The Shirelles, Shirley Alston Reeves, attended Broadway's Baby It’s You! on June 15 where she made a special announcement during the show's curtain call.

Reeves will join the Broadway musical about the woman who founded the '60s girl group — for post-show concerts for performances July 19-22.

Inspired by the true story of Florence Greenberg, "the woman who in the late 1950s took the male-dominated music industry by storm," Baby It's You! is a new Broadway musical conceived by Floyd Mutrux, directed by Floyd Mutrux and Sheldon Epps, and written by Tony nominated book writers Mutrux and Colin Escott, the team behind Broadway's Million Dollar Quartet.

Shirley is not stupid! She knows that although the Shirelles are not the central characters she can get interviews, gigs, and younger people will rediscover the Shirelles because of this. If Beverly was smart she would jump on the bandwagon as well no she has to sue! The Shirelles dont own any of their publishing so its really silly to sue unless this play was based on them or if there was some type of character assassination of some sort. Shirley doesnt have to give teh show her blessing she can be a part of it and ride with the tide. Im sure she saw what Dreamgirls did for the Supremes and Mary Wilson.

Dionne suing I dont understand she seems like the type that would do that to anyone if she could get away with it. Some people wish that a play were constructed around them. The Four Seasons dont need Jersey Boys and I dont know Shirleys financial situation she always seems to get work year round she must be easy and compliant as far as promoters are concerned. Bev and her Shirelles do put on a good show I have seen them so if I were her [[unless she was not asked and that is why she is suing) I would go along with the program since the show is about Florence but using the Shirelles to garner interest make the most of it these people are not getting any younger.

Here is the official site it looks like Aretha has gone to see it and other stars as well. Good info it is showing Shirley with the cast.

http://babyitsyouonbroadway.com/news.html

What was the reason for 2 groups of Shirelles