[REMOVE ADS]

Wishing for a Ric-Tic official compilation...

As time goes on, I am continued to be baffled that there is no legitimate Ric-Tic compilation. There are so many great songs, and I own some of the best tracks on original 45s.

I have heard that since this label was purchased by Motown that there are some licensing issues, but am not sure if this is the case.

Maybe there isn't enough demand? Just curious as to your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by BritMusicSoulFan View Post
    As time goes on, I am continued to be baffled that there is no legitimate Ric-Tic compilation. There are so many great songs, and I own some of the best tracks on original 45s.

I have heard that since this label was purchased by Motown that there are some licensing issues, but am not sure if this is the case.

Maybe there isn't enough demand? Just curious as to your thoughts.
    Well then ..

Something akin to "The Complete Motown Singles" collections, but covering Ric-Tic and the sister labels Golden-World and Wingate, has been suggested a number of times both here and on other Motown/Soul boards, but as far as I'm aware no-one has taken the hint.

There was, of course, one "official" collection released .. the "Ric-Tic Relics" compilation L.P. issued in the U.K. by Tamla-Motown .. hard to believe it was almost 40 years back!!

Here is a copy for sale .. £20 seems a good price too ..

http://www.rudzysrecords.co.uk/1/pro...S-ARTISTS.html

Roger

now ace records are 'dealing' with motown, i think they could do a great job

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  21.1 KB
    I would have guessed that Universal/Motown would have given this one to Hip-O-Select or maybe even put it out themselves. There should be quite a bit of demand. It's not like it would be only an obscure "collectors' item", like The Satintones. We have seen Universal/Motown refuse to let Ace/Kent produce a Spinners Anthology [[presumably because they think it would be popular enough for them to profit more by putting it out themselves). I would think that a Golden World/Ric Tic/Wingate collection would fit into that same category.

However, IF they don't plan to put it out themselves, -I think Ace?Kent would do a great job on it.

Ady-please lobby for them to let Ace/Kent do it.

hi britishsoulfan and welcome to sdf!i hope someone that matters at universal,hipo,ace,reel etc.reads this post and acts upon what we are wanting,we're always wanting.cd releases every month!there is a market for "the complete rictic,wingate,golden world singles" but it wont if this thread ends up with post's in single figures,and if anyone here has an "in" to these companies,lobby them!

I have the two Ric-Tic Relics CDs that were put out on the Soul World label in 2007. I know that these are bootlegs, but I didn't have anywhere else to get some of this stuff. The consistent quality of the recordings on these collections [[particularly the Fantastic Four, J.J. Barnes and Edwin Starr) is well above that of many obscure label and Northern Soul anthologies. I would gladly buy an official Ric-Tic compilation.

Hey, there's a demand for almost anything. About 6 months ago, someone in Norway [[!!) contacted me about a Julien Records re-issue in the mistaken belief I had the masters from that small label.

I would really like to see a Ric-Tic retrospective.

So would I!!

Nothing But Soul - There's also a "Girls Of Golden World" CD on that same Soul World label. They all say "Made in Thailand!"

Oldies

I'm adding my voice to the chorus for an official Ric-Tic/Golden World comp, from whatever company who will take the challenge.

Best,

Mark

Ric-Tic/Golden World CD...Yes! Yes! Yes!...show me where to pre-order.

Yes Ace/Kent are very interested and we're moving slowly in the right direction so fingers crossed. If we do do it, it'll be in depth.

Ady

go ady!go ady!

Yes! Like "Nothing But Soul," I also have both Ric-Ric Relics CDs, along with the Guys/Girls of Golden World discs, and some of the original Ric-Tic 45s [[Edwin Starr and J.J. Barnes, plus Al Kent's fun instrumental "You've Got to Pay the Price"), which I often include in my DJ sets. I would definitely welcome a legit Ric-Tic release.

I don't think I'll ever fill the gaps I have left in my collection, so I'd definitely buy "The Complete RicTic/ Golden World/ Wingate Singles".

here here the sooner the better please, and would there be any unrelesed tracks ??,or as i 've heard many years ago that when motown bought ric-tic etc, the engineers/staff & rt &gw junked a lot of stuff ,can someone confirm or is it a myth...

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post
    So would I!!

Nothing But Soul - There's also a "Girls Of Golden World" CD on that same Soul World label. They all say "Made in Thailand!"

Oldies
    There is also a "Guys Of Golden World" CD compilation on the same label.

Woo hoo Ady! Get in there my son!

Irv

Past talk on this site suggests that the original tapes were retained by Ed Wingate although master copies of what was released did get passed over. Some of the recordings on the original tapes have leaked out over the years but that might be from the producer's own copy.

Jerry Plunk's interview with Midnight Johnny was also very revealing on the Ric Tic acquisition.

is there link to the interview ? please

Ady, you RULE!!!

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by irv milne View Post
    is there link to the interview ? please
    MJ was intending to put them up as podcasts but I am not sure if he is still happy to do that as there was a lack of interest

Would also love to see a Ric-Tic / Golden World / Wingate [[multi-multi-disc) set someday. I have the two Ric-Tic Relics sets and enjoy them for what they are.

Jim

I too would love to see a Ric-Tic / Golden World / Wingate [[multi-multi-disc) set someday. I have the two Ric-Tic Relic sets and enjoy them for what they are.

Dam Bags now there are two of you...lol....count me in sounds great....can't wait !

Add me to this ever growing list of music lovers deserving of such a compilation!

KW,
    I can barely handle there being just one of me. Don't even want to think of the chaos that would ensue if there were two.

Bags

Good one Jim. I like that.

Do I have to get your permission first!

LOL

Been listening to some Ric Tic/Golden World stuff recently. There is something thrilling about the music but also kind of bizarre. Ric Tic had some really good moments but they didn't seem to have any kind of identity or direction as a company.

Outside of Edwin Starr and J.J. Barnes, I don't get any sense of the company trying to develop anyone as a star attraction, just a very scattershot record on this one, then that one. Did anyone get an album at Ric Tic/Golden World?

Would be nice to finally get this complete Ric Tic set like everyone has been asking for.

Interesting to see that Ace/KENT were thinking about it...back in 2011. What happened to that idea?

LP wise...San Remo had an LP issued . I think it was the only Ric Tic LP.

Ric Tic [[1st RED label)/Golden World's Detroit 'era' only lasted about 18 months before Ed Wingate sold it To Berry. Much of the earlier 60s recordings were done in New York.
    Wingate had a studio built ...then sold it rather quickly...check out the articles on the main page.
    Ric Tic [[2nd BLUE label) ran for about a year before that folded.
    Whilst they made some brilliant records, the "competition' to Motown is rather exaggerated I think.

After all these years, I still haven't managed to hear the Patti Gilson single [[GW6/7).

Not heard it ...is it a soul release I wonder?

I mentioned it on this site a long time ago, and a member replied that it was very good.

The early GWs were poppish...would be great to hear this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I mentioned it on this site a long time ago, and a member replied that it was very good.
Views: 763
    I bought it in 1964. It is very good. Both sides are excellent. Patti was the lead singer of The Elites [[girls group) on Detroit's Hi-Lite Records, before signing with Golden World.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-16-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I bought it in 1964. It is very good. Both sides are excellent. Here's the "B" side:

The "A" side is a powerful uptempo, which is much more "Motowny". I can't understand why it has seemed to never be on The Internet-especially given that it was played a fair amount on The Northern Soul scene.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-16-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I bought it in 1964. It is very good. Both sides are excellent. Here's the "B" side:

The "A" side is a powerful uptempo, which is much more "Motowny". I can't understand why it has seemed to never be on The Internet.
    This is REALLY, very good. I could see this one really giving Motown pause. Well arranged, not a bum note or moment anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Ric Tic [[2nd BLUE label) ran for about a year before that folded.
    Whilst they made some brilliant records, the "competition' to Motown is rather exaggerated I think.
    Yes, I've never gotten that whole thing that Ric Tic/GW was giving Berry sleepless nights. There were good records, some of them superb, but again, the company didn't have a star. Even if someone was having hits, the company didn't seem to have the focus Motown had as far as developing a name and identity as opposed to just having scattered hits. They also didn't have Barney Ales and all the others who were working day and night to get that brand recognition out there.

In the early days of the Rare/Northern Soul scene in the UK, with a flood of USA 45s on import, several labels were noted for producing a number of great dance records...Okeh, Loma, Mirwood and of course Ric Tic.
    They were fondly thought of...and an alternative to the more commercial Motown records. A rare underground scene thrived on these records...but to think in terms of competition to Motown, it was a nonsense.

Views: 722
    I don't think Ed Wingate's operations were ever direct competition for Motown on an equal footing. But I DO think they were a constant irritation to Berry Gordy in combination with Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone, and Don Davis' Thelma and Solid Hitbound Productions, as they drew many of his best songwriters, musicians, arrangers, producers away from Motown, completely, or, at least drew a lot of their professional energy away because of those employees' moonlighting. He ended up buying out most of the Detroit record companies that had affected his company that way.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-16-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Yes I agree with that...it was the irritation of his.staff getting involved with the labels in Detroit.
    Although , with regard to Golden World, I'm sure I've read that it was Ed Wingate who approached Gordy to sell his company. Motown needed extra recording facilities in 1966 so it was a deal that suited both. Is that the real story..
    The legend is that he had to buy GW out because of "competition".....I don't see......By 1966 The Supremes were World stars....the sales of GW 45s wouldn't have worried Gordy . Problems with moonlighting staff ..yes....an irritant to producers etc

BTW...hello Robb..hope you are keeping safe .

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    BTW...hello Robb..hope you are keeping safe .
Views: 654
    Yes, I'm okay. I hope you are too. But the virus has caught me in L.A. since January, and kept me away from my work and homes in Europe since then, and it will be over a year away by the time I receive the vaccine and feel confident enough to go back into public places, including airport waiting rooms and airplanes.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-17-2020 at 10:34 PM.

The "A" side is a powerful uptempo, which is much more "Motowny". I can't understand why it has seemed to never be on The Internet-especially given that it was played a fair amount on The Northern Soul scene.
    Thanks, Robb, for posting that.

I recorded about 6 songs with the Reflections in my studios about 4 years ago. They did things like "Just Like Columbus Did," "Shabby Little Hut," "Hen Pecked Guy," "Just Like Romeo & Juliet" and "To Be Loved".

Originally we were told we cleared three of these master recording tracks for a PBS cd compilation I was doing, but then at the last minute - the tracks [[other than Romeo & Juliet") were pulled for anything else Golden World.

I was told it had something to do with vagueness of the original contracts on these other Reflections tracks and so we went forward with live recordings we had rough mixed of a few. I was planning on releasing the DVD next year - at long last. They are a great group of guys and a great studio performance. We did the same for Louis Lymon and The Teen-Chords and The Charts, plus Josh White, Jr. on a local Pittsburgh track called "Do You Close Your Eyes" - I plan on putting it out with the original Blue Notes recording of "My Hero" we also recorded and never released from a studio based series I had at the time.

As soon as I can get Mr. Moulton to mix these.

Long time listener, first time caller. Thank you to the team for allowing me to join!

A CD or digital compilation of Ric-Tic and Golden World material has long been a dream of mine. When PolyGram held the Motown catalog in the 1990's, around the time that the Motown Master Series was being released, a single disc compilation of Ric-Tic and Golden World material was compiled, but it never made it past the compilation stage. Lack of interest from the parent company kept it from being released.

I can see a label like ACE U.K. setting the record straight on this material. One can hope.

The "A" side has now been posted to YouTube. More of a girl group sound than I was expecting, but good nevertheless.