[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes Indeed! When it came to The Supremes, the focus on making Diana Ross the leader of the group [and eventually building her rise to solo-superstar] created friction in the group [especially for Florence who hated having to only be a backup singer]. We all know what eventually happened with them since it's been discussed many times.
    But weren't all the lead singers the de facto leader of the group and star? Martha, Smokey, Levi, Glady K, Jr. Walker, Michael J.?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    But weren't all the lead singers the de facto leader of the group and star? Martha, Smokey, Levi, Glady K, Jr. Walker, Michael J.?
    Yes all them were the lead singer & stars of their groups, however, Florence Ballard had started the group and was their original lead singer & star [and when they were told to change their name from 'The Primettes', Flo chose the name 'The Supremes']. When they started recording for Motown and B.G. chose Diana as the sole lead singer [and leader/spokesperson of the group], Flo couldn't accept that and this lead to friction in The Supremes [as well as Flo's dismissal]. All of the other cases you listed accepted having their respective lead singers as the stars of their groups.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-08-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes all them were the lead singer & stars of their groups, however, Florence Ballard had started the group and was their original lead singer & star [and when they were told to change their name from 'The Primettes', Flo chose the name 'The Supremes']. When they started recording for Motown and B.G. chose Diana as the sole lead singer [and leader/spokesperson of the group], Flo couldn't accept that and this lead to friction in The Supremes [as well as Flo's dismissal]. All of the other cases you listed accepted having their respective lead singers as the stars of their groups.
    I hear what you're saying but the group's early recordings - pre-WDOLG- tell a different story. As do the few live concert recordings that exist. Mary and Florence shared very few leads in the run up to WDOLG. I believe Gordy designated Ross as the lead during the recording of their CW&P album in '63. But even prior to that Mary and Florence recorded very few leads and never in concert. While in the Temptations, David, Eddie and Paul regularly shared leads, on recordings and in concert. In the Marvelettes Gladys and Wanda essentially switched roles after '64, but Gladys still sang lead on some album cuts and I'm assuming in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I hear what you're saying but the group's early recordings - pre-WDOLG- tell a different story. As do the few live concert recordings that exist. Mary and Florence shared very few leads in the run up to WDOLG. I believe Gordy designated Ross as the lead during the recording of their CW&P album in '63. But even prior to that Mary and Florence recorded very few leads and never in concert. While in the Temptations, David, Eddie and Paul regularly shared leads, on recordings and in concert. In the Marvelettes Gladys and Wanda essentially switched roles after '64, but Gladys still sang lead on some album cuts and I'm assuming in concert.
    I understand; but over time the focus on Diana Ross [as lead singer, spokesperson & star of The Supremes] started to take a toll on Florence Ballard. I also forgot to mention that Flo hated the constant workload of recording, TV shows & concerts that the group were undertaking at this time. So to paraphrase the title of this thread, "a few more lead vocals" [and a less demanding performing schedule] would've truly made a difference when it came to Flo Ballard.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-09-2021 at 04:45 AM.