[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I think this musical would have been grand starring role on Broadway for Diana Ross.
    Richard Attenborough briefly pursued her for the London production of Sunset Blvd. My recollections are sketchy, and i think he may well have wanted Ms Ross for a film version rather than the stage version. I need to dig a little deeper, but there was certainly some wooing on Mr Attenborough's part. From what i can recall Ms Ross was flattered by the interest but had no inclination to take it any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Richard Attenborough briefly pursued her for the London production of Sunset Blvd. My recollections are sketchy, and i think he may well have wanted Ms Ross for a film version rather than the stage version. I need to dig a little deeper, but there was certainly some wooing on Mr Attenborough's part. From what i can recall Ms Ross was flattered by the interest but had no inclination to take it any further.
    Thanks for the info Blue. A film version might have been a hoot. At least she would be lip synching to a recording. I saw Elaine Paige in the London production and thought she did a brilliant job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Thanks for the info Blue. A film version might have been a hoot. At least she would be lip synching to a recording. I saw Elaine Paige in the London production and thought she did a brilliant job.
    It would indeed have been a hoot! Can you imagine Ms Ross playing a washed up performer trying to relive the glory days?
    I would personally have invested my own money to witness such a production! She would have slayed it once she got over the indignity of playing such a character!
    I have seen the stage production on Broadway, The West End and in Sydney, all in the 1990's. Glenn Close was the lead on Broadway and London, and i think Michael Ball was also in the West End production.
    Hugh Jackman was in the Sydney production, but i cannot recall the leading lady. I enjoyed all three productions.

It would indeed have been a hoot! Can you imagine Ms Ross playing a washed up performer trying to relive the glory days?
    I would personally have invested my own money to witness such a production! She would have slayed it once she got over the indignity of playing such a character!
    I have seen the stage production on Broadway, The West End and in Sydney, all in the 1990's. Glenn Close was the lead on Broadway and London, and i think Michael Ball was also in the West End production.
    Hugh Jackman was in the Sydney production, but i cannot recall the leading lady. I enjoyed all three productions.
    debra Byrne or Maria Mercedes

Diane would not have suited this role imho

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    debra Byrne or Maria Mercedes

Diane would not have suited this role imho
    Yes, it certainly was an apt fit for 'Debbie' Byrne.

From teenage star of Young Talent Time
    To 'Queen of Pop'
    To TV star
    To heroin addiction and sex tapes....
    To acclaimed stage performer in 'Cats', 'Les Miz' etc...

And Debra certainly has a powerful vocal style.

I shall refrain from any snarky comments about Hugh Jackman not having been the leading lady. I swear. I won't go there.

I saw Petula Clark in the role later on in same production Ollie9...but i thought Patti Lupone was the best Norma..my favourite song is "A Perfect Year"

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I saw Petula Clark in the role later on in same production Ollie9...but i thought Patti Lupone was the best Norma..my favourite song is "A Perfect Year"
    Oh my goodness, i had completely forgotten that i took a visiting friend from Australia to see Sunset when Petula was playing Norma. It seems so long ago now. I thought her acting good, but preferred Paige’s more dramatic interpretations of the songs. Elaine did look a little short during the staircase scene though lol. I also love “The Perfect Year”.
    Did you get to see Patti and what did you think of Petula?.

Oh my goodness, i had completely forgotten that i took a visiting friend from Australia to see Sunset when Petula was playing Norma. It seems so long ago now. I thought her acting good, but preferred Paige’s more dramatic interpretations of the songs. Elaine did look a little short during the staircase scene though lol. I also love “The Perfect Year”.
    Did you get to see Patti and what did you think of Petula?.
    I had booked to see Elaine but Petula had taken over the role by then - I thought Petula was good but as you said I prefer Elaines vocal powers..i didnt see Patti in person but was given a Polygram VHS E.P.K.[[Electronic Press Kit) for the launch of the original stage recording.. it featured Patti on stage to an empty theatre performing "With One Look" and the duet "The Perfect Year" so i was lucky enought to get a glimpse of her acting and she was giving more to the role than when I saw Petula..Patti's Norma was more drunk in "The Perfect Year" performance she wasnt interviewed in the E.P.K but i think Webber was..sadly i dont have a copy of it anymore...I would be fascinated to see rehearsal footage of Faye Dunaway in the lead if any exists...
    Last edited by nomis; 03-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I had booked to see Elaine but Petula had taken over the role by then - I thought Petula was good but as you said I prefer Elaines vocal powers..i didnt see Patti in person but was given a Polygram VHS E.P.K.[[Electronic Press Kit) for the launch of the original stage recording.. it featured Patti on stage to an empty theatre performing "With One Look" and the duet "The Perfect Year" so i was lucky enought to get a glimpse of her acting and she was giving more to the role than when I saw Petula..Patti's Norma was more drunk in "The Perfect Year" performance she wasnt interviewed in the E.P.K but i think Webber was..sadly i dont have a copy of it anymore...I would be fascinated to see rehearsal footage of Faye Dunaway in the lead if any exists...
    Just think, we could have been sitting next to one another. Paige is always good at those big dramatic numbers.
    It’s funny, but i was searching only the other day for anything on Faye Dunaway as Norma. From what I read she was actually very good. The only problem being her objection to the use of wire coat hangers in certain scenes.

Just think, we could have been sitting next to one another. Paige is always good at those big dramatic numbers.
    It’s funny, but i was searching only the other day for anything on Faye Dunaway as Norma. From what I read she was actually very good. The only problem being her objection to the use of wire coat hangers in certain scenes.
    By all accounts she was very good.
    Just don't ask any of her co-stars what she was like to work with!!!