[REMOVE ADS]

"Pieces of Ice" Instrumental version is a phenomenal song!

I like the musical tune of this song. I don't like the title of the song or its lyrics. I like Diana Ross' vocals yet the meaning of the song's lyrics escapes me. The video is awesome! I would have rewritten the song title and lyrics. Perhaps, "When I look into Your Eyes".
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-23-2021 at 03:27 AM.

“Pieces Of Ice” for me is a cool song with rather silly lyrics. I don’t think it would ever have set the charts alight, but with coherent lyrics might have achieved more then it did.
    With tv and radio exposure, ”You Do It” was to my ears the only potential top twenty pop hit from the album.

It's a very pleasant album track, but never a major hit single under any circumstances.
    I do like the Ross83 album. It was a vast improvement on the previous pair of clunkers, but i still maintain Ms Ross could have delivered more committed vocal performances had she been pushed more in the studio.
    The only songs i actively dislike are Girls and maybe Upfront. The rest of the album flows along nicely but it rarely gets out of 2nd gear. It could have been a great album. A couple of the outtakes were nice too. Maybe everyone will get to hear them one day. She missed a great opportunity by holding back the masters on the rca reissues several years ago. Not sure why she thought them inferior to the released songs. She had no such qualms when selecting those garbage tunes on the initial pair of rca albums.
    I do prefer this to the vocal version. Those silly lyrics did her no favours whatsoever.
    Thanks for posting.

it is nice too how Gary Katz's and Ray Parker's song work well together, for the most part. there isn't a glaring disconnect between the sound and approach of the two producers

IMO my least fav is Up Front. definitely should never have been a single A side.

agree that some of her vocals are lackluster. especially That's How You Start Over. that's quite a strong track and a very solid song to open the album. in the last 2 seconds or so of the fade you, you finally really hear her add some life to it. the rest of the vocal needed that energy.

on songs like Love Will Make It Right and Pieces of Ice, her detached and somewhat cold reading of the lyrics works. the album is certainly of it's time - very 80s synthesizer. but hey, that's what the sound was so i enjoy this addition to her catalog.

i dislike the cover. her "leona helmsly" glare is not a strong look for her. but then again, the sound of the album is synth cold so a big grinning pic might not have worked either.

I think Im in the minority = I enjoyed Diana's Lip Sync/dance routine of "Pieces Of Ice" at Central Park - was dismayed when I got the dvd of the concert and it had been edited out !

I think it held up better than most RCA .
    I had to combine my Swept Away and Ross into one expanded edition[[mine)

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I think Im in the minority = I enjoyed Diana's Lip Sync/dance routine of "Pieces Of Ice" at Central Park - was dismayed when I got the dvd of the concert and it had been edited out !
    I think that was the best way to present it in concert. Some songs don't translate well live. When I saw her two weeks after Central Park, she didn't even perform it and it was her latest single.