Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
Aside from a brief scene early in the film where Glinda causes the snowstorm that blows Dorothy into Oz, and then BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, that is it for Lena.
She might have very well shot it in one day since there wasn't much she had to do. I have seen one photo of Lena and Diana [[in costume) together on set. Diana is looking at Lena with a look of adoration while Lena seems to be expressing a point. I believe there is another photo of them together in an EBONY article on the film.

I think Lena did the film because it's director, Sidney Lumet, was her son-in-law at the time. She has said that she really wanted to play Evillene. In her Broadway show, she said something like ten years between movie roles is no joke. Take the job they offer you and do the best you can with it.

For me, Lena's BELIEVE IN YOURSELF is one of the high points of the film. A classic rendition that led to Diana's powerful rendition of HOME. A great one-two punch.
Wow what a brave son-in -law.

"I'm making a movie and there's a part in it for a witch, and I immediately thought of you!!!"