[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I've always wondered how the Supreme's records during this period were impacted by the release of River Deep, Mountain High single and their album with the Four Tops. I would imagine that the duets with the Four Tops cannibalized their group sales. Not to mention that during this time period the Jackson Five were Motown's top priority in terms of promotion.
    you're spot on Satan ; lol

Mag 7 was released in Sept whereas NW was Oct. for some reason, starting in the 70s, we don't have the exact release date. just month.

M7 didn't chart until mid Oct, NW charted late Oct. they entered the Top 200 within 1 week of each other. That could certainly help explain why Week 2 for NW was so weak. M7 was never doing much on the chart either but i think it's clear that it diluted the movement of NW

Basically the same story for River. it was released after SL, right around the time Stoned got stuck in the 20s on the charts. so had they not been competing, i bet SL would have risen to the top 10 earlier. i don't know that River held it back from peaking any higher. SL had an amazing Top 10 run. but it clearly slowed down those weeks

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    you're spot on Satan ; lol

Mag 7 was released in Sept whereas NW was Oct. for some reason, starting in the 70s, we don't have the exact release date. just month.

M7 didn't chart until mid Oct, NW charted late Oct. they entered the Top 200 within 1 week of each other. That could certainly help explain why Week 2 for NW was so weak. M7 was never doing much on the chart either but i think it's clear that it diluted the movement of NW

Basically the same story for River. it was released after SL, right around the time Stoned got stuck in the 20s on the charts. so had they not been competing, i bet SL would have risen to the top 10 earlier. i don't know that River held it back from peaking any higher. SL had an amazing Top 10 run. but it clearly slowed down those weeks
    Do you have the Four Top 45 and LP release schedule during 1970? It seems like all their releases were probably competing for both sales, airplay and promotion. Wasn't '70 the best and last good year for the Four Tops while at Motown post-HDH?